Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Alter

Alter Senior member

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I like a good old Dutch shed (or is it?). Have you considered to pump up the contrast and/or make it b/w?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. Kas

Kas Senior member

I was under the impression that I knew a few things about photography, but now I'm doing the lighting 102 course on strobist.blogspot.com and I'm finding out that I really didn't know all that much. I'm going to get a sync cord tomorrow and start the course, should be fun!

CDFS: it's a little bland for my tastes. I like the detail on the wood and the color of the cement-mixer, but there's not much else going for it. I would think that both of these would really *pop* if shot in different light, like the golden colour of early morning.

Alter: the lights are not really sharp and washed out, and the black/grey pixely sky isn't very pretty. I like the composition a lot!

Krp480: I like the third one (beauty), very cool!

An old one for me. I had already uploaded it earlier in b/w, but am trying to bring more consistency to the pictures I put up on my flickr-stream, thus a new one in color with relatively high constrast. Is this a look that works?

[​IMG]
    Muay Thai boxers by npmeijer, on Flickr

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  4. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

The pros in here are depressing me a little bit (Krp480, that last shot of grass is ridiculous) but I got a few crappy photos of the crazy lightning storm in Toronto tonight playing with long exposure (without a tripod, sadly).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

It's a French shed. Perhaps you picked up on the fact it has Dutch owners?[​IMG]

Black and white it seems to lack a certain dept, IMO.

[​IMG]

I agree it could use 'more'. Perhaps next time I'm around thereparts I'll get an early rise. Allthough, IIR the lay of the land C, the morning sun will be blocked by the trees on the east side of the shed. The shed would look best in a field of yellowed grain, IMO, but at the moment my amateurism prevented me from implementing such detail work.[​IMG]

I mainly liked the framing of the shed (and cement mixer). The angle was best, at least of the pictures I'd made of it.

Par example the shed photographed from another side:
    [​IMG]

then it truly has nothing going for it.

What, if anything would you change in the next picture?:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  6. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I'm a photography noob but my spontaneous improvements would be: - Framing it so the door on the right is not cut - Lower point of view (floor or knee high) to exaggerate the size of the corridor

7. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Ha. That must be it.
    I like it as it is. Immediately reminded me of Saenredam. Very nice.

8. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

There's something to that. I was already boring my SO to tears with my photographing though. I've must have taken about ten clichéd pictures like below, in the end deciding I'd needed a wider lens than the 24 mm of the GX200. I should have bought the postcard from the gift shop...

[​IMG]

Also I'm lazy.

High praise indeed. Thank you.

9. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Pfff, in some years she'll be happy you took a lot of great pictures to help you both remember the nice day :fonz: Instead of cliched you could see it as classical. I like it a lot anyway. Let's see some of the others you did there.

10. Alter

Alter Senior member

Thanks! Good feedback..I hadn't really thought about the sky but you are right.

11. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

12. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

Thank you to both :happy:!

GoldenTribe, I think a tripod would help though, but also how long were you setting the exposure for? The sky is very bright, and although the lightning shots are pretty damn cool, I personally think that if the sky looked darker they would look a lot better. Btw, if you were wondering I'm not a pro, just like to do it as a hobby :)

13. Kas

Kas Senior member

Found a few from my parents' old photo albums. Most of them have them or other family on it, which isn't really all that interesting. But these 3 were pretty cool imo:

[​IMG]
    Blossom by npmeijer, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Berlin '90 by npmeijer, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Berlin '90 by npmeijer, on Flickr

14. Kas

Kas Senior member

I guess I'm officially a pro now.. Just got a flickrmail from a Canadian museum's educational programs manager asking me if it was okay if they used one of my pictures for a program to educate kids visiting. So cool!