Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

No, small.

:)

2. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Ok, so for the wasp request:

[​IMG]

And to move from bugs to random shots. Somehow I was really happy how the bokeh turned out in this one. You can notice that there was actually a fence behind.

[​IMG]

And now to completely leave the bugs out of the equation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also taken some shots of my gf on the weekend (the other 'little black beetle' in my life) but I'll have to ask her if I can post them.

3. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

HA! it took me a second NOBD

brianja those are great esp. #3 the cars look tiny!

szeph nice wasp pic! I like the last two a lot.

some from the zoo today.
    [​IMG]

just messing around with selective color. Now that I look at it I should have cropped the bottom some..to get the plant out of the frame.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

4. trader

trader Senior member

The way I would shoot this is to use the distance scale on the lens and use manual focus. Figure out what the hyper focal distances are for certain apertures and shoot there. When it's too dark for me I'll just shoot at f/5.6 or so, put the lens focus at 2 metres, compose in the dark viewfinder and blast away with subjects within 1.5-2.5 meters away and they should all be in focus.

5. trader

trader Senior member

1. Those lenses are weather sealed so you don't have to worry about sand too much. To complete the seal you need some kind of filter on front like you said. But I would do my absolute best to keep it away from salt water. If a drop gets into the camera or lens it's over. The HD line of Hoyas are pretty good.

2. No you probably won't need an ND to shoot wide open at 2.8, unless you have a rebel which only has a max shutter speed of 4000, or shooting the sky mostly. But it doesn't hurt to use a 2 stop ND. It'll help complete the seal anyways. What you could get is a variable ND fader. I use a 8 stop fader from singh ray http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609253-REG/Singh_Ray_RT_86_77mm_Vari_ND_Variable_Neutral.html. It's pretty expensive but it beats carrying multiple ND filters so I think it's worth the money. The cheaper faders have color casts and weird cross patterns in them at wide angles. At 8 stops (and if you use a CPL which gives another 1.5 stops) then you'll have no problems getting 6 second exposures any time of day if you stop down a bit. And a big bonus with a fader is you can set it at low and focus, then set it high to shoot. No need to constantly have to unscrew the filter just to focus.

As for GNDs, it'll help a lot. I use the HITEC drop-in filters and use a Cokin P-series holder. I'd get a .6 or .9, in both hard and soft (.3 which is 1 stop is useless). Hard is for straight lines like the coast and soft for things like mountains/hills/skyline. They run for about 40 each, and the holder with a 77mm adapter is about 30 dollars. I definitely wouldn't get a circular GND because you'll always have to place the bottom of the sky in the center. But if you're just walking around with friends/family I wouldn't bother with a drop in system cause it's big and delicate.

3. Yes get insured!! You'll be surprised how cheap it is to do under your home insurance.

Remember to clean your camera off when you get back to your room. And most importantly, sometimes you just have to put the camera down and enjoy the moment :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

6. il ciclista

the last fact is most important..put down that camera and enjoy yourself. This usually happens to me, but when we went to the beach I made a point not to bring my camera anywhere unless my wife asked.

7. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I'll have 21 days in the Dominican Republic this vacation so I'm not exactly concerned that I will spend too much time taking pictures. We'll visit Santo Domingo again for 2 or 3 days, there I might carry it more or less all the time but in the beach spot we stay at the North coast I don't plan to bring the cam out more often than 2 or 3 times a week for like 2 hours. Focus is on actual vacation, not on doing a photography trip.

But thank you all for the great advice.

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

This is awful, borderline Communist, advice. Take it to another thread, ya hippie!

9. il ciclista

Hey I know it's crazy, but I've spent trips with the camera in my hand at all times and felt like a total POS afterwards because my wife and son had all the fun while all I had were their memories of the trip haha.

10. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

Isn't it great to have memories though? I am going to NC on vacation soon and I know I will have my camera in my hands 24/7.

Anyways here is a photo from today, just a picture of lightbulbs.. edited in CS5, boy I love that program.

[​IMG]

11. trader

trader Senior member

Me and my gf are going to australia next week for a couple weeks and I'll try to not bring out the camera too much. Though I'll probably carry a point and shoot all the time just in case. She has to be at a conference for a few days so I'll do a lot of my picture taking then. And then I'll be going to New Zealand for a week afterwards alone so that'll be my photo trip. Just getting a car and driving around the country with camera in hand. It's gonna be awesome.

Too often I feel like my camera takes away from trip. I just need to learn to put down the camera more often...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

12. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I can sort of see what you mean but I just see it differently. My photos are almost always of other people (obviously) and the places I visit. If there aren't any pictures of xyz event, it's probably because I was having a good time. But it's not like I see photos I've taken at the beach and think "damn, that could have been an extra two minutes where I could have been relaxing."

I consider myself to be moderately trigger happy but in a day of vacation maybe 20 minutes of that is actually spent shooting. I just don't see what the big deal is or what exactly I'd be missing out on. I'm on the same boat heading out to the reef to go diving just like everyone else.

13. trader

trader Senior member

Here's a short behind the scenes video of the shoot I just did. My lowndes give away that I'm an SFer lol.

http://howied.com/media/videos/8631/16651

And for anyone wondering about cost of insurance for your equipment against damages, theft, whatever, wherever - if you aren't using your camera for business then it only runs about 1 dollar per 100 worth of equipment for a year. That's under your home insurance. So 5000 worth of gear only costs about 50 a year. So please get insured if you aren't! There's really no excuse not to at those prices.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Interesting to see, trader. Happy with the pictures?

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member