Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

never seen anything like that NOBD, looks like seed in there.

Crane, what kind of lighting did you use in the picture?

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

On camera flash and a small 6500K key light.

3. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

[​IMG]

Violet?

4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Just for you IC. LOL! Ambient light shot, deeply saturated color setting. 6000K WB. Getting that gold shimmery dress to look right was no fun. My assistant loves being in front of the camera entirely to much which honestly doesn't bother me all that much. LOL.

[​IMG]

5. Kas

Kas Senior member

6. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I need the immense knowledge of you kick-ass photographers. I'll go to vacation to the Caribbean again later this year and for the first time I plan to bring my camera with me. The big question for me now is not the typical "What lens for country x?" but what accessories?

I want to shoot during the day within a small city (so no benefit of big, light-eating buildings around), on the city square and at the beach. I came now to three concerns.

1) I'll need an UV filter for the beach so I don't get water, sand or rum into the lens. No problem, I'm going to bring the 17-40 and 24-105 L lenses, these should be somewhat sealed if I put my Hoya HD UV filter on them. I might bring the EF 50mm f/1.8 II so who gives a damn if that thing breaks.

2) Will I need a ND filter to shoot quite wide open (f/2.8 respectively f/4) at the beach? It's quite sunny during the day and I don't want to stop down to f/8 or f/11 when taking a picture of people. In addition I could most likely take nice long time exposures there if I can darken the images enough to being able to get to 6 seconds exposure time or something like that. Should I get two 3 stop NDs and perhaps an 1 or 2 stop grad ND?

3) I guess I should get my stuff insured against theft, etc. when taking it to a country with a medium monthly income of around 300 USD and having it in a 2-star apartment safe?

Please tell me what I overlooked and what is just wrong.

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

In order Szeph...

1. A UV filter won't help keep anything out of the lens. Foreign matter will get in around the focus and telephoto rings. Most lenses are not airtight or waterproof. What the filter will do is cut down some of the blue cast and will help keep the lens coating from being scratched.

2. NDs are good for cutting down exposures etc. but around water get yourself a good circular polarizer. They act as an ND filter but when you want to kill glare on the water they are the way to go. As far as using ND filters to increase exposure time is concerned you have the right idea. The problem is even with a bunch of them screwed on the end of a lens you might not get down to the exposure times/fstop you want. A better way to go is shoot before sunrise, after the sunset or at night. Trying long exposures in blazing mid day sun is just not fun. Oh and without live view good luck looking through a viewfinder and seeing anything not to mention focusing could be a problem as well.

3. Your gear should be insured period. Mine is attached to my home owners insurance and I'm covered for any type of loss at full new replacement value.

Hmmmm, other advice? Learn how and what all the controls do and play with them. It's digital and not film so it's pretty much free to do and worth it's weight in gold. Read that book that was recommended above. The title is Light Science and Magic. Once you understand light, then you will start to see all kinds of good shots and you will be able to manipulate it to your advantage as well. Also it's not the equipment that matters or what you left behind that you think you need. It's all about you being a photographer. The right equipment just makes being a photographer easier. The less time you spend fiddling means more shutter time and allows you to concentrate on the shot. I say this all the time. Way way too many people think having the 10K camera will make them a world class photographer. It won't and never will. Photography is an art. You are the artist, the camera is the brush. An artist can pick up any brush and paint. A good photographer can literally pick up any camera and can create world class photos at will.

Above all else just have fun. Don't get all hung up about anything just have fun with your camera.

8. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

1. Yes I know. But I've read that the Canon L lenses are somewhat dust and water protected when a filter is used to seal the front. I'd hate to get sand into them at the beach when it's windy. The have a rubber lip at the mount and supposedly rubber in the zoom tubus.

2. Ok, I've used a polarizer before when shooting frog larves. So I'll get me another one fitting for my regular lenses

I know. I just don't want to stand there and break my stuff or notice that I'd have needed some accessory for 100 bucks while there is no photography shop in 150km around. I'll travel as light as possible anyway. Body, 2 or 3 lenses, a second battery, a circular polarizer, that's it. The focus for the vacation is partying, fotographing is only a side benefit.

Btw, I'll buy the book you mentioned. I've seen that the new version will be available in October here. Right now I'm reading the book about using Speedlites by Syl Arena.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. il ciclista

posted this on SuFu. I bought my Son a camera for his 3rd birthday last feb. and I found it in his toy box today with over 200 pictures he took. It's fun to see the world through his eyes. These were taken with a vtech kids camera with a plastic lens..i wish they made a little better quality/faster AF for kids but what're you gonna do..anyways I thought some of these were composed well for a toddler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

11. Kas

Kas Senior member

Yup, very cool IC! :)

The main night club I usually work for has more professional lighting and a very high ceiling so the light's diffused, but another venue I shoot at is the opposite: low ceiling, smaller and quite harsh lighting. Yesterday, when shooting at that other club my camera had lots of trouble with the autofocus: at times the people I was taking pictures of were so dark that the lens just didn't know where to focus. Now, when I came home later I did realize I set metering to spot and AF-area mode to macro.. which is far from ideal. Would different settings for these 2 fix the issue?

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Possibly. Set metering to center weighted and focus area to spot. Focus on a bright spot on the subject, recompose and shoot. Adjust EV as needed. Some environments are just a bad deal for a photographer and it sounds like this is one of them.

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

14. il ciclista

15. brianja

brianja Senior member

A few from a gathering on Saturday...

Click to enlarge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]