Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. ghostdog123

ghostdog123 Senior member

trader in reference to shooting diamonds you should take a look inside a pretty affordable book (compared to any other camera gear) called Light, Science, Magic. Product photographers swear by it.

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Yeah - the normal strap isn't actually that bulky per se. In fact, I'm not completely against wearing the X100 the traditional way around the neck.

I took a couple of pictures tonight with it in relatively low light:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. trader

trader Senior member

ya, that's a great book. i read through it a few months back. its definitely worth a reread. this time i think i'll try doing the examples cause it'll help me remember all the concepts

anyhoo, i finished up the photo shoot for the magazine and it went really well and i got some killer shots. but we didn't have much time so i felt rushed and didn't get my lighting exactly how i wanted. i felt like a lot of the shoot was just for show to please him and the manager/publicist. i knew when i had the shot i wanted but we just kept going and going with the same shots/clothes. so many pointy square toed shoes, long jacket sleeves, 5 inch breaks, and loose collars...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I'll second the book rec. It's a good read. It's really all about light more than anything else. Once you really understand the critter then you can manipulate it to get the look you want out of any subject. My diamond trick was born out of observing the cool reflections and scintillation of a fancy diamond ring while having a candle light dinner one evening. I filed the effect in the memory banks and then duplicated it.

Everyone has seen cloud pics. Most of the time they're pretty boring and lack depth or substance. The following pic is a prime example of what light can do for you if you know how to work it. The light was supplied by good ol' Mother Nature and lasted for a few minutes. i was at the right place at the right time and got what I was after.

[​IMG]
    Updraft by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

Trader it sounds like you got what you wanted early on and then just had to play along for a while. Been there and done that. If it makes the client happy and stays within the budget it makes selling what you got that much easier.

5. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Oh you will have a good time with that lens. It's one helluva piece of glass.

7. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

I certainly hope so! Luckily I have a 5 year warranty on it so I am going to beat the hell out of the lens and use it to its full potential.

8. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

no need to beat it up to get the full use of it!

how I felt after my snip! lol
    [​IMG]

9. Kas

Kas Senior member

10. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

TRINI, that picture has really great atmosphere!

Ok, so some more insects from today's trip to the forest.

[​IMG]

This one is a bit similar to one I did recently but the details turned out better this time:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm quite happy with the gear combination I have for macro right now, it works well. Canon EOS 5D MK II, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, diffused 430 EX II flash on a Manfrotto flash bracket and then sometimes a Raynox DCR-150 in addition. Still I'm wondering if I should change the lens for the Tamron 180mm f/3.5 which would give me 24 instead of 9 cm distance at 1:1 or go for the Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM for the IS and the USM drive (using AF in the continuous mode would be like the 3rd dimension for IS) which would allow slower shutter speeds for more ambient exposure (-> nicer backgrounds).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

11. Jayboy

Jayboy Senior member

Ive posted a few Polaroids here before.. this time I let my Leica M6 speak.. HereĀ“s a picture from Ghazi Stadium, Kabul Afghanistan. This is where the Talibans used to have public executions back in the days. A decade lather you find boys & and girls playing sports together on the very same field. This must be one of the last images taken on the stadium as it was when the Taliban ruled, the next day they tore the ground up and started to rebuild the whole arena.

Don't mind checking out my visual diary, theres more images from Afghanistan there: http://Svenssonsbild.tumblr.com

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Crane's, awesome cloud shot!

Trini, the X100 shots look great. Are these straight from the camera or processed? RAW or jpeg?

Don't know if you've shared this elsewhere, but how do you like the X100?

13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

14. il ciclista

15. il ciclista

can you guys let me know what you think of my portrait work ? I have a few gigs coming up and I really need some insight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

plus some non human related ones. I've been in a creative slump and sick of monochrome for now. So I hope doing some of this will help (along with alot of drawing lately)
    [​IMG][​IMG]