1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

glass is really cool, not sure if you meant it but the light looks like it's spilling either in or out of it. :slayer:

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

3. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

Heading to Spain in a couple weeks and bought a wide-angle lens for that purpose (12-24 F/4 Nikkor) but now I'm looking for a REALLY light weight tripod that is super portable. I tried out a tripod that had legs made of tent poles and it definitely worked but had massive vibration issues carrying my body and lens.

Any recommendations?

I also don't want to spend bank on a carbon fiber super-bad tripod. Something cheap and easy.

4. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I have a Feisol tripod. It's carbon so it's light but still stable. Was quite affordable.
    I have one of the small ones that fit into carry on luggage if you remove the ball head.

5. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

Haha, well I don't know. I think it's supposed to look like anyway you want it. Whichever works :)

Couple from the past week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Took a walk today trying to familiarize myself with a new camera.

Straight Out Of Camera with some slight cropping:

[​IMG]

I like how the red of this door was captured - pretty true to life. Again, SOOC but with a little more cropping:

[​IMG]

These are all SOOC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Critique/suggestions welcome.

7. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

The last one would look great cropped right up to the tree line, i.e. where the stairs end.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

[​IMG]

Inniskillin vinyard

[​IMG]

backyard butterfly

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

How did you make the B/W's? More contrast might make them a bit stronger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Thanks for the suggestion TRINI, I see what you mean.

They were all SOOC, so using the camera's B&W setting. Some are using B&W + a colour filter, also in-camera. When looking through them I tried to bump the contrast on many of the B&Ws, but in then end I settled for the SOOC look. I suspect my monitor is too dark, so they may look too washed out on a properly calibrated screen.

Your results look better to me than what I got from a quick 'Shadow' increase in Picasa :embar:

Thanks for playing around with them :)

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

You're welcome :). I see what you mean. The levels looked good, I just adjusted the curves in PS to darken the dark areas and lighten the light ones.

12. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

You're welcome :). I see what you mean. The levels looked good, I just adjusted the curves in PS to darken the dark areas and lighten the light ones.

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

No probs. Which camera did you end up getting?

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

15. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

16. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

:D

- and about bloody time, too. I've been on several waiting lists here for months and still no one has it in stock. Had to order from the UK. Thanks again for your thoughts on it.

17. bwong337

bwong337 Senior member

I'll play! First time posting in this thread.

First time posting in this thread! I love film!

[​IMG]

Shot with a Nikon (*gasp!*) F3 on Kodak UC100. I shoot the Leica too :D

[​IMG]

Another Nikon F3 shot. Tri-X.

[​IMG]
    Annnnd this was shot on my first roll on the Rolleiflex E2 2.8 80mm(inherited from my father). Fuji Acros 100.

[​IMG]
    A picture of my friend fishing last summer. Fuji Acros 100.

[​IMG]

Bixby Bridge. Rolleiflex/Fuji Acros.

[​IMG]

Friends. Shot with the Leica M3. Way underexposed (or underdeveloped... the negative was almost all clear.), but with TRI-X, you can pull out some crazy details in the shadows.

[​IMG]

A shot of my wife using the Leica M3/Tri-x combo

All scanned with Canon 8800F/Vuescan.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  18. binge

binge Senior member

My uncle's otherwise rambunctious house cat, caught for a still moment:
    [​IMG]

19. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

As everyone asked me what I want for Christmas and "Give me money for my tax payment!" is not an option I opted for "you can contribute to me getting a new lens". With possibly selling my 17-40L and 24-105L (I realized I'm nearly always shooting primes) I could afford around 1,5k €. But it's really only a bag of trade-offs no matter what you decide for. I'm currently looking for something in the 30-50mm range as a walk around lens.

Canon EF 35mm f/2 -> nervous bokeh, crappy auto focus drive
    Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L -> mucho dinero, big, heavy
    Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 -> manual focus, demaciado dinero, soft at 1.4
    Zeiss 35mm f/2 -> manual focus, except for that quite nice
    Old M42 35mm with adapter -> manual focus, first have to find a fitting lens with good quality

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II -> plastic bomb, not-so-nice bokeh, shitty auto focus. gave it away as a present :slayer:
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 -> the one I currently have. Not really usable wider than f/2 because of contrast problems, so-so auto focus
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L -> sharpness figures quite lower than the 1.4 but supposed to be usable at f/1.2. Reviews are a mixed bag
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 -> great reviews but auto focus is a gamble

So I'm really confused. I see that I can only get the points I dislike about the EF 50mm f/1.4 (auto focus accuracy, sharpness wide open, build quality) fixed if I throw quite a lot of money at the problem and at the same time I trade in other problems. I guess in the end it'll come down between 35L, Zeiss 35 f/2 and 50L but until then I'll stick with what I have. I've read a lot of reviews online, I checked the groups on Flickr and I know that Jacob had the 50L and Peter has the Zeiss 35/2 but the lack of a possibility to actually test the lenses myself makes it really difficult. And yes, dunno if I could live with manual focus, would definitvely get me the eg-s focus screen then for the 5D Mk II.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  20. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I've decided to hold off on buying a portrait lens until I know more beautiful people.