Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

There's another famous complex down here, an abandoned prison on an island. There are some pretty interesting stories about both places, although this is a bit more gruesome. There are several stories of prisoners killing nurses and priests. The painting of the woman in the bikini is inside one of the cells and is supposed to be one of the nurses that they killed, using her blood as the paint for the bikini itself. An American research team came down about ten years ago to try to debunk some of the stories of the island (like the water tank, the circular structure in the last photo, being used as solitary confinement) but they tested the bikini and found female blood.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

2. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

In that case:

[​IMG]

I think the colors need to be toned down here a bit, especially the greens. Look how the greens are glowing right behind the flower. too unnatural imo.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

There's another famous complex down here, an abandoned prison on an island. There are some pretty interesting stories about both places, although this is a bit more gruesome. There are several stories of prisoners killing nurses and priests. The painting of the woman in the bikini is inside one of the cells and is supposed to be one of the nurses that they killed, using her blood as the paint for the bikini itself. An American research team came down about ten years ago to try to debunk some of the stories of the island (like the water tank, the circular structure in the last photo, being used as solitary confinement) but they tested the bikini and found female blood.

sounds like a place where we could put forumites

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

sounds like a place where we could put forumites
    No way. Conne would put together a rendition of "Pirates of Penzance" within minutes of touching ground on that island.

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I think the colors need to be toned down here a bit, especially the greens. Look how the greens are glowing right behind the flower. too unnatural imo.
    Well here's where artistic interpretation comes into play. IC said to play with his pic and several of us have. We took an image and modified it to fit our individual style. There is no right or wrong about what any of us did. I did what I did based on an understanding of composition and how useful lines, contrast and color work to draw the eye into the photo and to the main subject. Someone else cropped the photo to include background detail I cropped out. Why did he do that? It was his interpretation on what would make the pic look good. Is he wrong? Am I wrong? Neither of us are wrong. In fact we are both right! All good photographers have their own unique style and do not bother to try to copy or imitate any other photographer. None of us could duplicate Ansel Adams, Peter Lik, Whodini, IC or anyone else. What we will do though is look at each others stuff and try to understand the hows and whys. This is how you learn about photographic technique and artistic interpretation. Some of the info you'll find useful and will add to your repertoire. Other things you'll file away for another day. Do enough of this and you will eventually be able to photograph a pile of dog dung and make it look good. Make the mistake of trying to copy another photographer and you'll get nowhere. Now with all that said why don't you take the same photo run it through the mill and show us your style and interpretation.

6. whodini

Hey, thanks. [​IMG]

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Hey, thanks. [​IMG]
    Hey no problem man.

8. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

Well here's where artistic interpretation comes into play. IC said to play with his pic and several of us have. We took an image and modified it to fit our individual style. There is no right or wrong about what any of us did. I did what I did based on an understanding of composition and how useful lines, contrast and color work to draw the eye into the photo and to the main subject. Someone else cropped the photo to include background detail I cropped out. Why did he do that? It was his interpretation on what would make the pic look good. Is he wrong? Am I wrong? Neither of us are wrong. In fact we are both right!

All good photographers have their own unique style and do not bother to try to copy or imitate any other photographer. None of us could duplicate Ansel Adams, Peter Lik, Whodini, IC or anyone else. What we will do though is look at each others stuff and try to understand the hows and whys. This is how you learn about photographic technique and artistic interpretation. Some of the info you'll find useful and will add to your repertoire. Other things you'll file away for another day. Do enough of this and you will eventually be able to photograph a pile of dog dung and make it look good. Make the mistake of trying to copy another photographer and you'll get nowhere.

Now with all that said why don't you take the same photo run it through the mill and show us your style and interpretation.

couldn't have said it better..when I started I tried to imitate people's style that I liked until I felt like it was sucking out the creativity so I just went my own way and did it how I wanted and not have to apologize to anyone for how it looks because it's my view of the subject matter.

I do like the idea though of playing with others photos because it will help me (and others) think outside the box to push themselves ..possibly even in a new direction.

9. il ciclista

I was digging through an old photobucket account I used to post my photos on (always butchered the quality) I found these I took with an old 3mp camera..it almost looks like it was shot with a toy camera lol. I think it did have a plastic lens come to think of it..(vivitar) anyways these were in afghanistan/germany/uzbekistan 2006/07 [​IMG] [​IMG] desert street photography! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. whodini

The next wave of hipsters are going to latch on to "vintage" digital. Mark my words.

Also, I need to sort through the pics from yesterday's 4th party. Wasn't much to shoot this year since the area was much, much smaller than last year and it was night as opposed to the late morning. As always, cute chicks in attendance but not nearly enough...

11. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

[​IMG]
    moar from overseas.
    [​IMG]

12. essleweb

essleweb New Member

Wonderful photography...Great post you have posted..[​IMG]

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I do like the idea though of playing with others photos because it will help me (and others) think outside the box to push themselves ..possibly even in a new direction.
    Yep it's a good exercise. One of my friends is a well known photographer and every now and again I"ll have him pick apart pics. He goes through them and asks me basically what was I thinking when I took the shot. Then he'll go through and point out compositional elements that can either enhance or detract from what I was after and explain why. It's been very useful over the years and has caused me to actually think a bit before I clicked the shutter.
    I was digging through an old photobucket account I used to post my photos on (always butchered the quality) I found these I took with an old 3mp camera..it almost looks like it was shot with a toy camera lol. I think it did have a plastic lens come to think of it..(vivitar) anyways these were in afghanistan/germany/uzbekistan 2006/07
    Hmmmmm, OK IC let me ask you a question. Is the camera really to blame here? My guess is the reason the pics don't look so good to you now is because your skills as a photographer have grown over the last 5 years or so. Right or wrong?

14. il ciclista

honestly more the later one because I didn't know anything about photography outside the automatic mode on my d40 lol however, there is tons of skewing if you zoom all the way out as you can see, and anything over 200 ISO was almost unusable haha, but if I took this camera back then I think the pictures would look alot better. [​IMG] Whodini, they already started moving over to digital 3mp(ish) cameras..check out fourcornerstore.com

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

OK so today you know it's limitations and would have no problem confining your shots within it's usable boundaries. I bet the pics would be awesome. Now at the same time because you do know it's limitations you have a valid reason to upgrade the camera to match your skill set. It's a fine line between knowing your actual equipment needs versus getting caught in the equipment trap game.

So once again I'll say this. Whatever camera you have make sure you know all the controls and how to use them and then push the camera to it's boundaries. If the camera works for you stick with it and develop your style and techniques. Be honest with yourself when looking at cameras and whether or not you really need it. It is so easy to fall victim to the equipment trap.

I have been asked what camera would I pick if I was going to be stuck with only one. I thought about it for a while and told them it would be a Minolta SRT 102 with mirror lockup and a solid set of prime lenses. With this setup I can take a solid pic in any kind of environment and conditions. The only thing the battery does is work the meter. The camera is completely mechanical and will fire without a battery in it. I can use a light meter for exposure. As far as the lenses go they are reasonably priced and well made and there are a lot of them out there. The reputation for this outfit is rock solid with a long track record to back it up with. The most important thing though is I've used Minolta SRT series cameras for 35 years. They are old trusted friends that never leave me stranded.