• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Yes, nature got in the way of a perfect shot.
smile.gif

It does have that tendency sometimes...

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like the crop with the building out of the scene. I need to try to remember the crop next time. I was wanting to put it in a series for these old buildings I shot, in this case do you think it should be included to show to viewer some of the abandonment or is it too much?

also huntsman..impressive shots.
Szeph, nice capture..is that bee covered in pollen? He looks happy as a clam!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I
eh.gif
hadn't really noticed a building...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Interesting. We both moved the flower away from the center and decided to do a square crop. I (think I) can see why you cropped it differently: because of the direction in which the flower is "looking". Was that your reason? I thought the background on the left (with the two small flowers) was more interesting than the right, so decided to crop it the way I did, even though the flower is now looking out of the frame.
Yep that's why I moved it to the left. I also cropped it tight to get rid of the busy background and to position the stem to the lower right corner. At first glance you look right at the flower. If your eyes wanders left the bright color pulls you back in. If you look right the stem and leaves catch your attention and then sweeps you back up to the flower in a nice curve that suggests motion. Think of the flower as a person. It looks like a person pulling back from something out of the frame in a surprised manner which adds a subconscious emotional element to the pic.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Think of the flower as a person. It looks like a person pulling back from something out of the frame in a surprised manner which adds a subconscious emotional element to the pic.

Yes, that's actually why I used the word "looking".

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Yes, that's actually why I used the word "looking".
Excellent, that's exactly what I wanted someone to "see".

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a few more from Friday's outing.. this was the building that was sort of to the right in the flower photo.. anyone ever watch prison break?? these windows were fake! I was expecting to walk inside a multi leveled building lol "this place about to blooowww" Honestly I was kind of nervous being this was the 5th floor

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
nice, I like the shadowing in the flower itself. What'd you do to achieve this?
Topaz Labs. I've got their full run of plug-ins and love them. I use Adjust on just about all my photos these days.
Originally Posted by il ciclista
a few more from Friday's outing..

You'd love the abandoned sanitarium down here.

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
IMG_1696.jpg

Love this one. Looks like something out of Silent Hill (game, not movie)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one from a few weekends ago. Again, experimenting with desaturation and going for a sunbleached look:
5896131796_22472b2cf2_z.jpg

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Love this one. Looks like something out of Silent Hill (game, not movie)
Thanks. That's actually my favorite from that day for a similar reason: it looks straight out of a horror movie/game.

There's another famous complex down here, an abandoned prison on an island. There are some pretty interesting stories about both places, although this is a bit more gruesome. There are several stories of prisoners killing nurses and priests. The painting of the woman in the bikini is inside one of the cells and is supposed to be one of the nurses that they killed, using her blood as the paint for the bikini itself. An American research team came down about ten years ago to try to debunk some of the stories of the island (like the water tank, the circular structure in the last photo, being used as solitary confinement) but they tested the bikini and found female blood.

IMG_8668.jpg

IMG_8776.jpg

IMG_8768.jpg

IMG_8752.jpg

IMG_8787.jpg

IMG_8804.jpg

IMG_8816.jpg

IMG_8818.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads