Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

You guys doing anything special for the 4th? Think they're doing another classic car show/beer festival/fireworks deal down here. Last year's 4th was fun. Here (I shit you not) are the girls they hired to dress up as cops to remind people not to drink and drive... [​IMG]

3. _cameosis_

_cameosis_ Well-Known Member

Nice. Over the years I've kept an eye open for an M3 or M4 at a good price. I've been told by a few people that the M3 is the epitome of film cameras.

thanks -- it sure is helpful when shooting pictures. however, i think you put it perfectly in one of the very early posts in this thread regarding (un)importance of equipment (i think on page 1 or 2), and i too try following that path.

4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

thanks -- it sure is helpful when shooting pictures. however, i think you put it perfectly in one of the very early posts in this thread regarding (un)importance of equipment (i think on page 1 or 2), and i too try following that path.
    This needs to be balanced out a bit so it makes sense to people. Equipment does matter to a point. It needs to be sound mechanically and optically. If the shutter on your Leica or any of my Minoltas does not fire at the speed it's supposed to all you'll get is garbage. Same goes for lenses. Summilux and Rokkor MC/MD lenses both have excellent reputations for overall build and optical quality. Both cameras in the hands of a competent photographer will provide excellent results no matter what the subject. Put either camera in the hands of someone who knows nothing about photography and well garbage in equals garbage out. This is where the equipment trap comes into play. Most people are lead to believe that they need to have the latest and greatest camera/lens setup that costs big big money and they will become the next Ansel Adams! That's marketing at it's finest and it's all bullshit. It's so easy to get caught up in lens resolving power and edge to edge sharpness blah blah blah. Another trap is the fast lens fiasco. If you do not shoot photos that requires a fast lens then don't buy into the hype. This applies to both film and digital. In the digital world the big hot selling game is megapixels, HDR, ultra high ISO, 3D, HD video and so on. Say what? Ask yourself this question. Is a camera like this going to get out of your way or get in your way when you are shooting? Think this one through the next time you get the deer in the headlights dumb stare when you're fondling the latest whiz bang camera that costs 8 grand.

5. il ciclista

You guys doing anything special for the 4th? Think they're doing another classic car show/beer festival/fireworks deal down here.

Last year's 4th was fun. Here (I shit you not) are the girls they hired to dress up as cops to remind people not to drink and drive...

not really. Wife gets paid time and a half and Son goes to sleep at 9 lol

6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

not really. Wife gets paid time and a half and Son goes to sleep at 9 lol
    [​IMG] That's ok, you can live vicariously through 4th of July photos taken in another country.

8. _cameosis_

_cameosis_ Well-Known Member

This needs to be balanced out a bit so it makes sense to people. [...] (abbreviated)
    +10

9. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

A couple of shots taken today walking around the city. Experimenting with a less-saturated look. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Here's a 'vivid' version straight out of the camera: [​IMG]

10. mellowfellow

mellowfellow Senior member

11. il ciclista

trini, love #2. mellow yes i need an iphone! great pics

12. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

A couple of shots taken today walking around the city. Experimenting with a less-saturated look.

I like the experiment, Trini. Maybe give them a kick with more contrast? Or the bench pic in b/w?

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Hey Trini is this the look you're trying to achieve by any chance?
    [​IMG]

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Crane - closer, yes.

Tips?

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

[​IMG]

Hope you don't mind me playing with your pics, Trini, but this is what I had in mind with the bench pic:

[​IMG]