• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your own casual to smart transformation stories

Reaction score
I am interested to hear from you guys about how you made the switch from dressing casual to dressing smart.

For example. At what age did this happen? What looks did you try out until you achieved your aim? Was it overnight or a drawn out process? Why did you do it and are there any regrets? How did people react? etc etc etc...

So I have started a thread for anyone who wants to share their stories of the time they decided to smarten up their act.

Over to you...

Thom Browne

Reaction score

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I don't buy into the assertion that there's a chasm between "casual" and "smart", which you seem to press in all of your posts.

One can look casual AND smart, it's not a give or take situation.

The question should be more along the lines of "how do I smarten up my casual", since you mention you don't NEED to wear a suit but seem to be almost forcing yourself to in order to make your appearance "better", at least that's how you're coming off on an internet forum (to me)

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I don't buy into the assertion that there's a chasm between "casual" and "smart", which you seem to press in all of your posts.

The question should be more along the lines of "how do I smarten up my casual", since you mention you don't NEED to wear a suit but seem to be almost forcing yourself to in order to make your appearance "better", at least that's how you're coming off on an internet forum (to me)

point taken. perhaps when i mean casual i mean just chucking on whatever's available and by smart i mean following a planned look, which could be smart, casual or a mixture of both.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

+1

If you look at the care the guys over in SWD take over a pair of jeans it will amaze you. I think the difference between well dressed or not is the care taken and the appropriateness of the clothes.

I like to think I practice a two steps sartorial style, always just two steps away from either MC style or SWD style with almost any ensemble, if that makes sense.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
+1

If you look at the care the guys over in SWD take over a pair of jeans it will amaze you. I think the difference between well dressed or not is the care taken and the appropriateness of the clothes.

I like to think I practice a two steps sartorial style, always just two steps away from either MC style or SWD style with almost any ensemble, if that makes sense.

don't get me wrong i agree with what you're saying. perhaps i worded it wrong.

i was just interested to hear from anyone who has taken a major change in style and how they went about it, because to me it seems a big change as i am so used to the way i have always dressed.

wedgehead98

Reaction score
OK...back to the question at hand...

I'm 37, Director of Sales for a small ($40M) electronics design and manufacturing company in San Diego (been here 13 years!). We design product here in San Diego and build it here, in Tecate, or in Beijing, wherever it makes the most sense.

I've always dressed nicely, but almost never in a suit or tie...at least without some significant reason, e.g., customers visiting our facility or me visiting their facility.

For some reason, and my wife blames the girlie umbrella drinks, while on vacation in Hawaii late last year, something in my head clicked and it felt like my subconcious said, "OK, time to get serious. If you want to break into senior management, you need to perform/dress/act the part." It's not just about achieving VP status, I also wanted to simpy step it up a notch.

Since then, I've purchased 8 suits, gotten rid of 4 suits that were just ugly, purchased 4 sportcoats, purchased many, many dress shirts, ties, and even pocket squares! I wear a suit at least twice a week, and a tie almost every other day of the week...except Friday. I wear wool trousers most days, cotton khakis on Friday only, never wear jeans to work anymore, etc.

All of this in a very informal workplace where shorts on Fridays is perfectly acceptable.

I like it. My friends, with whom I've worked for many years, give me **** once in a while, but have mostly grown used to it. And...once in a while they might show up in a tie...for no apparent reason!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wedgehead98
OK...back to the question at hand...

I'm 37, Director of Sales for a small ($40M) electronics design and manufacturing company in San Diego (been here 13 years!). We design product here in San Diego and build it here, in Tecate, or in Beijing, wherever it makes the most sense.

I've always dressed nicely, but almost never in a suit or tie...at least without some significant reason, e.g., customers visiting our facility or me visiting their facility.

For some reason, and my wife blames the girlie umbrella drinks, while on vacation in Hawaii late last year, something in my head clicked and it felt like my subconcious said, "OK, time to get serious. If you want to break into senior management, you need to perform/dress/act the part." It's not just about achieving VP status, I also wanted to simpy step it up a notch.

Since then, I've purchased 8 suits, gotten rid of 4 suits that were just ugly, purchased 4 sportcoats, purchased many, many dress shirts, ties, and even pocket squares! I wear a suit at least twice a week, and a tie almost every other day of the week...except Friday. I wear wool trousers most days, cotton khakis on Friday only, never wear jeans to work anymore, etc.

All of this in a very informal workplace where shorts on Fridays is perfectly acceptable.

I like it. My friends, with whom I've worked for many years, give me **** once in a while, but have mostly grown used to it. And...once in a while they might show up in a tie...for no apparent reason!

well wedgehead thanks for your story. anybody else??

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey, just walk into Burberry's and get kitted out, you'd be well sorted.

Just kidding. You're 19 (if I remember correctly) don't sweat it, have fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads