• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your five favorite bands and I will mock and generalize you.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O.A.R.
The Killers.
Vampire Weekend.
Talking Heads.
Dropkick Murphys/Flogging Molly.

johnnycash

Reaction score
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
O.A.R.
The Killers.
Vampire Weekend.
Talking Heads.
Dropkick Murphys/Flogging Molly.

I hope I never meet you in real life. I also hope David Byrne never meets you in real life, because he would punch you in the face for liking OAR.

Originally Posted by johnnycash
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots

You are a troll from 1997.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hipcathobbes
i approve of the acid mothers temple.
here goes:

battles/don cab
do make say think
phish
john zorn
sonic youth
merzbow

it's a mix

You can't count, and you think the fact that you read pitchfork.com once every two months in 2007 means you can now pass off your patchouli phase as ironic...except it doesn't.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^If I was taking the kind of drugs necessary to enjoy that music I wouldn't be able to count either.

Recently:

Mountains
Fennesz
Om
Zu
Smog

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You think posting a bunch of bands we have to look up on All Music Guide confuses us; it does. You also think it makes us think you're cool; it doesn't. You also think we're dumb enough to believe these are actually your five favorite bands, as opposed to some obscure **** you heard about on the internets one time; we're not.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poppies
this is so easy to mock that it's not even funny

True, but let's give it a shot anyway.

Originally Posted by poppies
dirty projectors
yo la tengo
animal collective
dr dog
girl talk

You feel unsure about endorsing any music not hyped by a certain arbiter of taste website I've already mentioned, and so with certain exceptions you approach music made before said website assumed it's current prominent internets role with extreme caution, afraid of making a faux pas in front of your friends, all of whom wear tite pants.

Those exceptions include bands whose place in the hipster canon is secure enough that The Onion saw fit to use them as a humorous example of a band whose shirt would be worn by your average record store clerk. I would have added that there is no doubt in my mind you own pair of glasses with thick black frames, but how obvious is that already?

I also would have added that Girl Talk puts on one of the best live shows I've ever experienced, but that's beyond the scope of this particular thread.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Underworld
Rammstein
Depeche Mode
New Order
Acid Mothers Temple
Laura Brannigan

I might almost think you were cool if I met you irl, as one of the bands you mentioned happened to write one of my favorite songs. However, I would be able to see right through to the rage that consumes the very core of your being, and would probably just ask you for a bump and say no **** a lot before, during and after doing so. You hang out in leather bars from time to time, and tell yourself it's totally not gay because there are so many HOT CHIXXX around.

To be perfectly honest, I've never heard of Laura Brannigan, and I don't give a ****. I'm guessing she's not a band anyway; FAIL.

Originally Posted by djs488
MF Doom
Bob Dylan
Hot Chip
Tough Alliance
John Mayer

Two beat-oriented types who can move crowds of kids desperate to prove that the fact they have expensive educations doesn't mean they're not cool, hard, and down; one legend; one curveball; and the biggest ******* ***** of all time.

Add it all up and...everything is cancelled out by the fact that you mentioned the biggest ******* ***** of all time. And no, the fact that it might have been a joke, he wears Supreme, grudgingly forces me to admit he is a good guitarist, and was actually pretty funny on Chappelle's Show does not make it okay.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
I hope I never meet you in real life. I also hope David Byrne never meets you in real life, because he would punch you in the face for liking OAR.

He doesn't come across as a particularly violent fellow.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OAR does strange things to people.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
swervedriver
husker du
the hellacopters
nick cave and the bad seeds
boris

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just wasted 15 ******* minutes of my life during which I wrote lengthy response to your pathetic list, made sure it was packed with lulz, and then lost it thanks to a browser crash. So first off, **** you.

I'll keep this simple: the Hellacopters are the Hives for marsupials. Swervedriver is Ride for people with bizarre sexual proclivities. Nick Cave is Tom Waits for people who totally don't have a smack problem because they only buy it from and do it with rich white people. Bob Mould is a gay club DJ. You only heard about Boris because you used to lurk on Vice and post as many comments as you could involving the n and c words.

That said, **** you.

tighty88

Reaction score
I'm a man with very thin skin....you're lucky I'm bored.

N.E.R.D.
Gym Class Heroes
Vampire Weekend
The Killers
The Hives

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tighty88
Whoops I posted in the wrong threak lol sorry
teacha.gif

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and limping_decorum? MORE LIKE LIMP DICKORUM.

The PM conversation going on right now between you and tighty88 writes itself, and involves a lot of blurry cell cam pics with rulers in them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads