• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your five all-time favorite videogames

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i am old school guy, i dont play any video games now but when i was in college i was heavily into

STREET FIGHTER II TURBO /HYPER.

man, there were alot of friends, gangs, and addicts on this game on campus. sometimes playing 10 hours straight. we had tournaments and stuff, i played Guile but my in my latter years i was a Zangief technician.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Civilization(4, then 2, then 1, then 3)
Halo 2(co-op campaign)
TIE Fighter
Prince of Persia: SoT
GoldenEye

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Halo
Ultima 4
Ultima 3
Total Annihilation
Warcraft

--Andre

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Old Skool, biatches:

Ultima (the original, played on an Apple II, the first game I ever stayed up all night playing).
Mattel Electronic Football (the handheld). Yeah, I'm that freakin' old.
Sea Battle (Intellivision) I am the champion of the universe at this game.
Civilization
Finally, a split vote:
Micro League baseball (played sober, kind of OCD compulsively with keeping statistics and crap like that, in high school); or
HardBall (Commodore 64), played tag-team style freshman year of college with my buddy Anthony, since it would have been too difficult for one person to try to play and hold the bong at the same time.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Old Skool, biatches:

Mattel Electronic Football (the handheld). Yeah, I'm that freakin' old.

Is that football game the one where you could play facing an opponent? We had that when kids. Played that obsessively.

Sea Battle (Intellivision) I am the champion of the universe at this game.

Ahhhhhh yeah, the Intellivision. Best soccer game at the time for sure. Tennis too. Our house was very popular (for a short while).

Sea Battle? You looked out the periscope (if memory serves)?

Those were fun days.

Most of the games being named here I've never heard of. A few years back (2000?) I had one of those games where you battle the aliens (can't remember the name) but it moved way too fast and scared the be-jesus out of me. I can't imagine these others.

b

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Is that football game the one where you could play facing an opponent? We had that when kids. Played that obsessively.

Ahhhhhh yeah, the Intellivision. Best soccer game at the time for sure. Tennis too. Our house was very popular (for a short while).

Sea Battle? You looked out the periscope (if memory serves)?

Those were fun days.

Most of the games being named here I've never heard of. A few years back (2000?) I had one of those games where you battle the aliens (can't remember the name) but it moved way too fast and scared the be-jesus out of me. I can't imagine these others.

b

No, I was talking about the ur-game, the handheld electronic football game where you ran a little blip past other little blips. This one:
Mattel_Football_Original_White_web.jpg

I think you're remembering a different Intellivision naval warfare game. I think Sea Battle was one of the standard games that came with the console, although I'm not sure. You had a big map, and each player had a fleet of ships of varying capabilities (PT boats were quick and agile but did little damage per salvo, battleships were slow and ponderous but could sink you with one salvo if they hit you).

We were the first on our street with Pong, which made us the flavor of the month for a while.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for one of these old guys to post that old arcade machine with the little plastic car you 'steered' as it rolled along a scrolling paper track.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much of a gamer anymore, so I am mostly old-skool on these

1. Operation Wolf (arcade). I probably would have had much better grades in college had it not been for this one. I got to the point where I could finish the whole game on a single quarter, which made it an economical way to drop into the arcade at the student union and miss most of the next class.

2. Gauntlet (arcade). Warrior needs food. Badly.

3. Tron (arcade). Never got the hang of those damn lightcycles.

4. Tekken 3 (PS). I drag out the old PS every once in a while to play this.

5. Tetris (any). Good way to burn a couple of hours. Kept this one open in a small window next to Word on my laptop throughout law school.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I'm waiting for one of these old guys to post that old arcade machine with the little plastic car you 'steered' as it rolled along a scrolling paper track.

Hah. I did have a football game where the offense and defense each secretly selected a transparency a diagram of their play, then you'd overlay them on a a light board (kind of a prehistoric ELMO, for you kids out there) and see where the lines intersected in order to determine the outcome of the play. Sort of a "video" game.

Oh, and upon reflection honorable mention for the original "Escape From Castle Wolfenstein". Who doesn't love blowing away Nazis?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah. I did have a football game where the offense and defense each secretly selected a transparency a diagram of their play, then you'd overlay them on a a light board (kind of a prehistoric ELMO, for you kids out there) and see where the lines intersected in order to determine the outcome of the play. Sort of a "video" game.

Also it was powered by steam

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Also it was powered by steam

No, footpedals. And we had to play it by torchlight, outside in the snow in sub-zero temperatures, before the invention of gore-tex.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That one sucked. This one rocked.
seadevi7.jpg

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro

3. Tron (arcade). Never got the hang of those damn lightcycles.

i could get past those screens, they are possible but that one screen,

the hallway with the multicolored bricks that incessantly keep building towards you and you have to shoot your way through them...
at level 3 it is IMPOSSIBLE.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I was talking about the ur-game, the handheld electronic football game where you ran a little blip past other little blips. This one:
Mattel_Football_Original_White_web.jpg

Oh, we definitely had that one. I remember my friend Pat had it. We played all the time. Loved it.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads