1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Post your favorite Bento box recipes

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Bento Box

Bento Box New Member

I sometimes make vegetarian kimchi to bring to school. Here is the recipe:

2 heads of Napa Cabbage (cut to your preference) 1 large daikon radish (shredded) 1 bunch green onion 3 cloves of garlic 2 tbsp salt 1 1/2 tbsp red pepper juice from 2 lemons

Make sure that everything is sterilized (bowl, hands, and jars). Mix ingredients in a large bowl, squeezing the vegetables as you go. Eventually there will be a fair amount of juice in the bowl from the vegetables. Pack the vegetables in mason jars, making sure there are not any air bubbles and leaving about a 1/2 inch from the top. Pour the remaining juice over the vegetables making sure they stay submerged in the juice and loosely screw on the lids. Set them aside for about 3 days, check by taste to see if you want to ferment the vegetables any more. If they are to your liking, seal completely and store in the fridge.

This made about 4 pint sized mason jars full of kimchi. You can change up the vegetables depending on what you have on hand (I have made it without daikon, with carrots and cucumbers).

2. dron

dron Senior member

we get fried salmon with rice quite often and use the leftovers (make sure to make a lot) for onigiri - filled rice balls.
    i've found that pudding rice is excellent for this and way cheaper than sushi rice. just coook them in water. when making the rice balls keep your palms wet to avoid rice sticking to them and squeeze very hard.
    we don't wrap them in nori, but occasionally roll them in roasted sesame seeds.
    another thing I learned from my father in law is to make something that may translate to 'yellow strings'. it's basically very thin omelettes (eggs, mirin and ajinomoto) that are rolled and sliced thinly to form the strings. pretty easy to make and great looking and tasting.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member