1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Post Undergrad Sob Story, any advice?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by ethanm, Oct 5, 2012.

1. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Mostly a hunch. I've always been a pretty big reader and actually read monographs in my spare time.

Internships mostly require you to be a student so they don't have to pay you. I have no idea what I would do at a bank, I'm not a natural salesman and I don't know a thing about finance.

3. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Check the IB thread for more on Investment banking advice.

Retail banking is always hiring esp mortgage banking. A loan officer (sales) is pretty easy if you want to venture out of your comfort zone and get some sales experience. Commission, but easy in the current environment. With mortgage rates at record lows, also low priced homes and foreclosures, it's pretty easy to get purchases. Even easier is refinances, esp for the underwater people. With Obama, you can refinance almost anything as long as the person has been paying their mortgage. Can go to closing within a month.

If you don't want to do sales, all those loans need processors, closers, managers, underwrriters, then also auditors and compliance.

4. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

2 people like this.
  5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Be willing to move. Your first job probably isn't going to be the one that you stick with for the rest of your life. Get a job elsewhere in the United States then upgrade to a big city or major publisher. If the job takes you to Wyoming, go to Wyoming for a few years to get experience. Then move up.

2 people like this.
  6. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

What is it exactly you want to actually do? What do you want your work day to be like? You say you want to work in academic publishing. Does that mean you want to be a janitor in their office building, be their book-keeper, rep textbooks door to door at nearby colleges?

7. microwaveplasma

microwaveplasma Member

EMartNJ you went to school in Pton? By any chance you're a fellow Tiger? I'm class of '09 ;)! And I don't mean to sound snobbish but if you are indeed a Tiger, it shouldn't be too hard to get a (at least temporary) job no? I know a lot of Princetonians do banking upon graduation but there are so many other options beyond that. And as Claghorn said - "Be willing to move. Your first job probably isn't going to be the one that you stick with for the rest of your life. Get a job elsewhere in the United States then upgrade to a big city or major publisher" - so why don't you move even further? Have you ever considered programs like Princeton in Asia (You don't need to be a Princetonian by the way)? Or else, maybe do Teach for America? Many big firms love to recruit TfA alums. Get some work experience first and then use that first job as a stepping stone to move forward.

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I just grew up here. I'm sure I would have a job by now with a degree from Princeton. Teach For America is a bullshit organization, by the way.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

Where did you go to school? What was your GPA?

10. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

I have a lot of friends that went did tfa, and split opinions on how much it actually helps schools aside, it was a leg up for them in applying to grad school and/or jobs. It's also a job for 2 years, if you can get it.

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I'm fundamentally opposed to the program. It's like putting a Band-aid on a broken bone.

For those wondering about school I went to WVU because I slacked off in high school. Graduated with a 3.5.

12. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

WVU has an absolutely massive alumni network and has excellent name recognition in WV, VA, MD and DC. Why aren't you using these resources? A 3.5 isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Edit: I don't know why I'm doing this work for you, because you're coming off as kind of dickish, but...

http://alumni.wvu.edu/groups/chapters

New Jersey

Garden State Chapter
    Tom Stack
    381 Skyline Lakes Drive
    Ringwood, NJ 07456
    gardenstatewvu@gmail.com
    Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126868954449

Jersey Shore
    Brian Baldasare
    732-449-4818
    Rt34brian@aol.com
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jersey-Shore-WVU-Alumni/169042949853642

Liberty Bell
    Ed McMahon
    4 Tallowood Court
    Mantua, NJ 08051
    president@wvulibertybell.com
    wvu-libertybellalumni@comcast.net
    facebook: WVU Alumni Liberty Bell Chapter
    http://www.wvulibertybell.com

NY/NJ Metro
    Shannon Pill
    888 Main Street, #437
    New York, NY 10044
    917-733-4992
    wvunynjalumni@hotmail.com
    http://www.wvunynjalumni.org

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I'm not helping because your team beat my Longhorns.

15. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

^No worries, my friend. I'm a New York Giants fan, which probably precludes me as well! I didn't go to the 2007 WVU Pitt game that would have landed WVU in the championship game because it was raining.

I never reached out to an alumni organization because I never fit in at WVU so I figure I wouldn't fit in with WVU away from WVU. Like I said, I'm a little reclusive.

16. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Being reclusive is going to keep you from getting a job. Networking is the number one way to get a job. Start doing it now.

1 person likes this.
  17. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

2 people like this.
  18. Teger

Teger Senior member

Seriously at every step in this thread you've basically said you're unwilling to do what anyone is suggesting. You don't want to reach out to alumni, you don't want to work outside a specific field that you think you'd like, etc.

Have you looked up certificate/graduate programs for publishing?

Have you looked up local publishing firms which you might be able to intern at?

Have you contacted your local University's academic press?

http://press.princeton.edu/
    Princeton University Press, 41 William Street, Princeton, New Jersey 08540 USA

Here's their entire staff list. Are you calling these people?

People always talk about how a liberal arts degree is so useless, but to me it's not the degree, it's the sense of entitlement and laziness...

1 person likes this.
  19. Teger

Teger Senior member

This thread is pissing me off. I'm tempted to pick up the phone and get you a fucking internship for you.

1 person likes this.
  20. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Teger, OP didn't go to Princeton he went to WVU. Now go back and find him resources there.