1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Post SF Tumblr's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EFV, Aug 26, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I follow you and especially enjoyed your Pitti pics. Some of the best anywhere. Far better than even the NY Times feed.

1 person likes this.
  2. GusW

Tumblr is a good platform for an interview or narrative brand story but the fun is happening on Instagram. I used to get 100+ Likes on Tumblr for an average nice post (I've had many over 1,000 and even one over 12,000) but these days even a good story or unique photo doesn't quite get the response it used to. That is one of the reasons I went to Instagram. Plus, more people are post their own photos and use less styled editorial shots. 95% or more of my Instagram shots are mine and shot with my phone. Rarely do I follow people who use stock photos or editorial styled photos which now seem to dominate Tumblr.

3. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

^ all true, but it's a bummer that Instagram pics can't be Pinned

4. GusW

True, but it forces people to keep new things in play rather than reposting the same italian dude smoking a cigarette pic 10,000 times :)

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

If I only could give this two thumbs up, a high five, and a chest bump!

2 people like this.
  6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I've never understood the popularity of aggregation blogs, especially in the menswear world. Then again I've always treated the "like" button as most treat the reblog...

7. GusW

I think the popularity for aggregation blogs amoung guys is putting together looks they aspire to own and wear. The appeal is more on a novice level which is, after all, the majority of Tumblrs in any category (clothing, cars, etc..)

I really appreciate people who provide their own content and photos.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

So what would each be best for for a menswear perspective?

Pinterest: collecting looks/items for personal inspiration

Tumblr: ??

Instagram:??

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I think the best part of tumblr is one's ability to seamlessly blend editorial with context-free images. The Q&A features are also quite nice in terms of getting actionable feedback and/or getting to know the author.

1 person likes this.
  10. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I know I'm late to the party but since I've been enjoying the pictures you post on SF @Crat I checked your Tumblr and I like it, I scrolled all the way to the bottom. Keep up!

11. Crat

Crat Senior member

Thank you for the kind words. Its not fast moving full of fast cars and bare birds but its my tumblr :)

1 person likes this.
  12. GusW

I decided that I would get back to doing stories and interviews on my Tumblr once again. As part of it I selected a new theme or format that is interactive with other social media. I can interface with Twitter, Instagram, etc. Here is my first story using the new theme. http://abitofcolor.tumblr.com/

3 people like this.
  13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Great to see that you're going to be doing more stories and interviews - that's very good news!

14. GusW

Thanks Journyman, I appreciate your comment. I have a few new interviews lined up with some people outside the Styleforum mainstream that I have run into at trade shows and through travel. I hope you will find them interesting.

15. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.