1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Post SF Tumblr's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EFV, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I have no clue why that dude is so popular. He looks like a random tattooed Thom Brown model... who works at JC Penny...

2. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Well, the girls and ladies like him. That's what matters. :rotflmao:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

It's not even about follower numbers, though. It's about who follows you/who you talk to outside of tumblr. It's benefited me, at times, I guess, but just doesn't seem to serve the purpose of exposing good blogs and good content.

4. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I'd 86 over half of the menswear editors. The overwhelming majority of their blogs show neither an understanding nor appreciation of tailored menswear.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why should #menswear be limited to an appreciation for tailored clothing?

1 person likes this.
  6. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

It shouldn't be limited to the appreciation of tailored clothing, but shouldn't some level of appreciation be a requisite for editorship?

1 person likes this.
  7. GusW

All the menswear editors don't need an appreciation or knowledge of tailored clothing. Of course some should have it to represent the spectrum of menswear. I like many non-tailored clothing Tumblrs. I'm actually surprised there aren't more hardcore denimheads on Tumblr. I suppose they are all on Instagram.

1 person likes this.
  8. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

The argument would be that #fashion is it's own tag, I'd guess. But I do like the idea of different styles being represented under the #menswear tag. It's more about proper execution

9. thisfits

thisfits Senior member

Hey guys, just throwing in my two cents as a #menswear tag editor.

For what it's worth, I don't find pursuing a bigger follower count to be a fulfilling enterprise, because it says nothing about how engaged or interested the followers are in your content. If you're one of hundreds of Tumblrs that someone else follows, it's a good bet they rarely see your posts, if ever. I'm subscribed to just over a hundred Tumblrs, and that's already overwhelming, so I only closely follow maybe two dozen or so.

A year or two ago, I posted a close-up of a model's scruffy neck. Inexplicably, that really resonated with the ladies on Tumblr--it's got thousands of notes, and I probably picked up a few hundred followers because of it. Do you think my site matters very much to them? Probably not. So I'm more interested in the dozen or so people who comment or email or send me tumblr messages or reblog my posts and call me out for saying dumb stuff.

And given Tumblr covers such a broad, indiscernible swath of people, if you want appreciation or feedback for your outfits, you're really probably better off posting in one of SF's WAYWT threads, the Ask the Tailors thread, or whnay's good taste thread.

All that said, if follower count really is important to you, in my experience the #menswear tag is next to useless in increasing follower count. I don't really track how many new followers a post generates, but I do track pageviews, and I think it's not a stretch to say that the posts that attract the most pageviews probably attract the most new followers. And by far the best way to increase traffic to your site is to get linked to by another blog that has more traffic than you do. I don't think I've ever solicited another blogger for traffic, but if follower count matters to you and you're willing to hustle, this is a highly recommended guide on how to do so in a non-sketchy manner:

http://socialtriggers.com/persuasion-tips-help/

I'm uncomfortable with the insinuation that Ethan promotes his own content. For starters, #menswear editors can't tag their own posts. And since a #menswear tag gets assigned to the original poster, they can't game the system by tagging someone who's reblogged one of their posts.

Technical limitations aside, I doubt Ethan cares whether or not he or his business or associates get #menswear tags. I don't know him personally, but every indication shows him to be a man of humility and grace -- not the sort of guy who'd wallow into shameless self-promotion.

And lets be honest: Ethan doesn't even need to bother with that kind of self-promotion. The Armoury puts out fantastic content. They stock amazing menswear, take excellent photographs, and when they write, it's often pithy, thoughtful, and humorous. That kind of stuff lends itself to drawing the attention of tag editors. I've tagged The Armoury's posts before, and I've frequently found them already tagged by other editors when I was meaning to do so myself.

Finally, if anyone who's reading this thinks they have a blog that offers something compelling enough to share--whether you're on on Tumblr or on another platform--by all means let me know. Send me a PM or an email or a Tumblr message. This isn't a call for submissions to the #menswear tag--because I'm not allowed to do that--but rather a call for quality, original content about menswear, because there's a dearth of that right now. I've put this call out before on my site and have been introduced to some great sites as a result. I won't promise that I'll follow you, but I'll definitely check out your site.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That was a pretty interesting article, actually. Thanks for sharing it!

11. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

He prefers the attention of men.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have a question for you editors.. how do you wind up in the featured spotlight?

13. thisfits

thisfits Senior member

It has nothing to do with editors, I can tell you that. I always figured it's automated by Tumblr -- probably number of notes a new post receives within a short time period.

14. GusW

15. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

G, is there anything menswear related happening in Oakland tomorrow?

1 person likes this.
  16. GusW

Ha ha...

The carpet bombing wasn't intentional. Some odd glitch. Not sure what happened.

17. GusW

Funny that I have added hundreds of Tumblr followers since I stopped blogging Dec 31st. :)

18. SpooPoker

Intentionally?

19. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

why did you stop?

20. GusW

After 2.5 years it was time to take a hiatus. I really enjoyed it, just time for more real life interaction. :)