1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Post SF Tumblr's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EFV, Aug 26, 2011.

1. jchosko

jchosko Senior member

Gus, thanks for pasting the text from the post here (and hookem12387, sorry for the overwrought and overly-long presentation...I have a tendency to overwrite, especially when I'm not editing, like right now...:D). I think hookem and bourbonbasted are absolutely on point here, and have distilled the essence of my post in far fewer words.

I wasn't necessarily trying to cast stones in my letter, just point out that whatever utility #menswear used to have (and it did have some, to me at least) as a place of inspiration has been eclipsed by the fact that it really is, as bourbonbasted says, "more-or-less a big circle jerk of cross-promotion." But, to be fair, tumblr doesn't really pretend to be anything other than a social networking site, and one that (if it isn't already) wants to successfully monetize. It just happens to be really easy to use and great for hosting a blog on--I know if it weren't for the ease of tumblr's use, I wouldn't likely have a blog at all.

I try not to look for more from tumblr than it proclaims to offer, but I do think there's value to be gained from highlighting the fact that the #menswear tag is decreasingly filling the space it used to fill for many of its faithful followers, and I can't but think that tumblr ought to be interested in knowing that the tag now, in the eyes of many, serves little purpose other than to generate hype for a select number of bloggers/designers/photographers and their friends, and that this is a turn off to a lot of people. Really, 'reforming' #menswear isn't really the issue either, since it is what it is, and that is determined by tumblr, and they are clearly in the "cool with it because it generates hits" mode right now. But, I know there's a ton of tumblrs out there doing awesome stuff, and it's just going to be harder to find and follow them now, but not impossible.

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

In its defense, Tumblr isn't GQ or Esquire because anyone can join and publish whatever they want. There is some excellent, unique content out there (written and photos).

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Very true. I should have been more clear. I meant the #menswear tag (and it's moderators) are headed in that direction. Certainly not the platform as a whole. And obviously the interface/collaboration opportunities make it completely different from print. But still, I get the definite feeling that the majority of what receives the #menswear tag comes from designers or personalities that have a direct or indirect influence over those that maintain the tag.

4. GusW

I wish Vox was here for this discussion....:)

5. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

Jason, just giving you crap about the length (assumed you posted here). Well written, and you're right.

I want the editors to change just, mostly because the tag is the easiest way to find new, good blogs.

6. jchosko

jchosko Senior member

I was just given some interesting insight from a current #menswear editor, and I am increasingly under the impression that tumblr must just have bigger things to focus its attention on than the assiduous maintenance of its #menswear board. Apparently this editor was supposed to have been rotated out in the summer, but hasn't heard anything from tumblr regarding their tenure coming to a close. And what leads me even closer to my conclusion about tumblr having more f@$&s to give elsewhere than wasting one on #menswear is that the rules of being a #menswear editor explicitly state that one should not use the position of editor to promote their friends' posts...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

who are the "editors?"

8. GusW

I contacted Tumblr about 2 months ago (out of general curiosity) to inquire into their advertising costs and policies. They are shooting for the moon, like most tech companies, to find ways to maximize revenue. And, except for the Ralph Laurens, Armanis, Zegnas, D&Gs and a handful of other menswear advertising giants, the vast majority of menswear advertisers are small timers and don't have anywhere near the potential revenue or clout to get a platform like Tumblr's attention. Except in extremely rare cases the big bucks just don't flow from menswear advertising the way they do from travel, liquor and autos.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1

10. GusW

Go to Tumblr, type in "menswear" in the "search tags" box and then a list of menswear editors will appear. You will need to click on "see more editors to see the entire list.

11. GusW

12. GusW

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Never knew that. I see many familiar names though.

14. jchosko

jchosko Senior member

Actually, it was valetineuhovski and champagneproblems that I had in mind when I suggested in the letter that perhaps tumblr was appointing some of its employees to act as editors for the menswear tag. Their choice does seem more than a little strange...and it wasn't long after they were added that there was a notable increase in the more fashion-oriented posts on the #menswear board.

15. jchosko

jchosko Senior member

Also, this is pretty interesting: tumblr's "Tag Editor Guidelines" page.

It includes policies like:

"Don't use your selections for personal purposes. Tag pages are for users to explore all the diverse content on Tumblr. Don't use your selections as a way to market your blog or your friends' content."

and

"Focus on original content. Choose posts with original content and commentary over links to headlines and photos without additional context."

16. GusW

This is a silly, idealistic rule since it goes on all the time and everyone knows it. For example, the #menswear editor who is an employee or partner in a very well known menswear store, who blogs about the store, the clothing, the vendors, the owners, and himself.

I like it because he does such an excellent job in content and photos. As long as the content is there, I'm cool with it.

17. GusW

Just checked in with the #menswear tag search. The first two that come up are Nick Wooster...coincidence? :)

18. joshuasaussey

joshuasaussey Senior member

I 100% agree with all of this. How are us small timers with under 500 followers able to share our outfits if when you type #menswear you see the same picture over and over again. Less pictures to share means you will see the same picture on your dashboard multiple times.

It's a rich get richer, poor get poorer scheme so to speak. Tumblr need to revert back to their old tag system.

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Interesting to check this out, I had no idea some of these guys were #menswear editors. And yeah very interesting to find out the likes of Ethan and Details magazine are editors, when like you said what they do goes exactly against the tumblr rules, but you can't fault them, if the tumblr staff let them do it then I'd milk it too. And you are right Ethan does do a great job with his content.

Anyway I had my own little victory today and passed 500 followers.. :cheers:

2 people like this.
  20. GusW

Just checked Tumblr #menswear hash tags. NIck Wooster has four of the first twelve posts with no more than his name or a short phrase.

Hard to imagine that these are the directions given to editors by Tumblr:

"Tag pages are for users to explore all the diverse content on Tumblr.

Why don't they just have a separate #Nick Wooster hash tag and leave it at that :)