• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Pictures of your Tattoos

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I've always been fascinated by sleeves, so thinking a half-sleeve for starters. Back could be interesting, but I'd like to be able to see my tattoo more easily.

Cool coincidence that your wife has a tree tattoo -- would love to see it but obviously understand the potential sensitivity around it.

I haven't gotten so far as to look at shops yet but I've heard good things about Bang Bang in NYC. $$$$ of course.

found a pic. No sensitivity around it, it's just lack of available pics, so here's one from getting dressed on wedding day. Quite literally only the full back pic I have. For whatever reason, damn thing seems way smaller in the pic than in real life (I swear to god it goes half way up the back of her neck ... but now that I think about it, women's clothing fits different in the upper back than men's clothing, so it's visible in almost everything she wears):

yeah, I have effectively a half sleeve (though not a full wrap, there's some skin there). Some parts of the arm and shoulder can be quite the stinger for a first time if that's what you're doing. I sat through mine in one go, I think around 6 hours (my artist is very fast), which brings up a few points you should consider: odds are you're not going to do it all in one go (not calling you a ***** or anything). My artist figured 3 sessions, but 2 hours it I was just like *******, we're in so lets keep going. Some artists don't want to stop for more than 20 or so minutes since your adrenaline high (or whatever they call it) will crash. I was a mess at the end, the needle hurts a little, but the real pain is the accumulated soreness. And # of sessions brings up another point - good artists book up fast, so don't be surprised about a 3-4 month lead time for prime weekend work. It's usually 1 session, 2 week heal time, 1 more session to continue, etc.

Bang Bang is really good, and I really like who I work with at Saved, which is another top NYC shop. Most quality artists run around $200/hour (plus I always tip).

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

found a pic. No sensitivity around it, it's just lack of available pics, so here's one from getting dressed on wedding day. Quite literally only the full back pic I have. For whatever reason, damn thing seems way smaller in the pic than in real life (I swear to god it goes half way up the back of her neck ... but now that I think about it, women's clothing fits different in the upper back than men's clothing, so it's visible in almost everything she wears):

yeah, I have effectively a half sleeve (though not a full wrap, there's some skin there). Some parts of the arm and shoulder can be quite the stinger for a first time if that's what you're doing. I sat through mine in one go, I think around 6 hours (my artist is very fast), which brings up a few points you should consider: odds are you're not going to do it all in one go (not calling you a ***** or anything). My artist figured 3 sessions, but 2 hours it I was just like *******, we're in so lets keep going. Some artists don't want to stop for more than 20 or so minutes since your adrenaline high (or whatever they call it) will crash. I was a mess at the end, the needle hurts a little, but the real pain is the accumulated soreness. And # of sessions brings up another point - good artists book up fast, so don't be surprised about a 3-4 month lead time for prime weekend work. It's usually 1 session, 2 week heal time, 1 more session to continue, etc.

Bang Bang is really good, and I really like who I work with at Saved, which is another top NYC shop. Most quality artists run around $200/hour (plus I always tip).

Your wife's looks awesome. I'd like mine to be a photorealistic one and have a lot of fine detail if that makes sense. I like your tattoo's a lot, for instance.

I really have no idea what to expect in terms of pain, but I was told that the worst parts in terms of painfulness are the soft, fleshy parts of your arm: under portion of your wrist, inner elbow flesh, etc. I also have been working out a lot so my arms have been getting bigger (with plans to continue that) and thankfully that shouldn't be a problem according to what I've read online in terms of distortion.. but I'm wondering if it makes sense to wait a couple more months.

I'll keep that pricing in mind. I'm definitely willing to pay for top notch work.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Your wife's looks awesome. I'd like mine to be a photorealistic one and have a lot of fine detail if that makes sense. I like your tattoo's a lot, for instance.

I really have no idea what to expect in terms of pain, but I was told that the worst parts in terms of painfulness are the soft, fleshy parts of your arm: under portion of your wrist, inner elbow flesh, etc. I also have been working out a lot so my arms have been getting bigger (with plans to continue that) and thankfully that shouldn't be a problem according to what I've read online in terms of distortion.. but I'm wondering if it makes sense to wait a couple more months.

I'll keep that pricing in mind. I'm definitely willing to pay for top notch work.

Keep photorealistic into perspective - it's a tattoo which is an interpretation on skin, which is active and moves. Further, if you like my arm, note that it's an interpretation of a series of interpretations. That's why a good artist is important, and why their feedback is important.

In terms of pain, it'll hurt. Every person is different, but there's enough real estate on the arm that'll give you a sting. IME, pain is less about the fleshy part and more about the close-to-bone part. I thought my inner arm would kill (a friend had a small thing done and he said it burned), but it was fine for me. I also thought my outer arm near armpit would suck - it actually tickled. Top of my shoulder and inner arm that connects to the elbow REALLY hurt. The artist will probably give you an ink-free dry run to start, just so you know how it feels, and it's not bad.

I'm getting some work on my ribs tomorrow, and that'll probably ******* blow.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
happened. hurt! but what can I say, I love my dog...

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Keep photorealistic into perspective - it's a tattoo which is an interpretation on skin, which is active and moves. Further, if you like my arm, note that it's an interpretation of a series of interpretations. That's why a good artist is important, and why their feedback is important.

In terms of pain, it'll hurt. Every person is different, but there's enough real estate on the arm that'll give you a sting. IME, pain is less about the fleshy part and more about the close-to-bone part. I thought my inner arm would kill (a friend had a small thing done and he said it burned), but it was fine for me. I also thought my outer arm near armpit would suck - it actually tickled. Top of my shoulder and inner arm that connects to the elbow REALLY hurt. The artist will probably give you an ink-free dry run to start, just so you know how it feels, and it's not bad.

I'm getting some work on my ribs tomorrow, and that'll probably ******* blow.

Good thoughts. I think the best I can do is just tell the artist what I'm going for and ask them to sketch it out or riff off of it. I don't think I have the balls to just tell them what I want at a high-ish level and then get under the gun so I def want to see what they have envisioned.

But yeah, photo-realilstic was not the right word to use. I want something more detailed is what I was getting at. Something very intricate where the leaves have distinct shapes, lines, etc. This is in contrast to your wife's where things are "looser" if that makes sense. Looks more like a watercolor painting.

I think I'll deal with the pain. I have an approximate idea of how it'll feel.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Top of my shoulder and inner arm that connects to the elbow REALLY hurt.

artist did some small touch ups on the top of my shoulder, the area I thought sucked. Was cake after ribs. Side of rib was fine, moving to the front was yikes.

some poor bastard was getting the middle of his thigh done at the same time, and he was struggling. Towel on head, blank stare, friend had to make a snack run, etc. Sister in law has some area done, and she struggled. Wife also has same area done, and she was totally fine (it really is person to person when it comes to pain areas).

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

artist did some small touch ups on the top of my shoulder, the area I thought sucked. Was cake after ribs. Side of rib was fine, moving to the front was yikes.

some poor bastard was getting the middle of his thigh done at the same time, and he was struggling. Towel on head, blank stare, friend had to make a snack run, etc. Sister in law has some area done, and she struggled. Wife also has same area done, and she was totally fine (it really is person to person when it comes to pain areas).

I had my neck, top of my hand, ribs, stomach, groin (literally the groin muscle, not the "region"), and thigh all done. None of those came close to the pain that I felt when my sternum was done. White to boot. That sucked monkey balls.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I had my neck, top of my hand, ribs, stomach, groin (literally the groin muscle, not the "region"), and thigh all done. None of those came close to the pain that I felt when my sternum was done. White to boot. That sucked monkey balls.

It's ok if you have a dick tattoo. I won't judge.

I hope it's a tattoo on ********* of a bigger dick.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Elbow saddle sucks, as does shoulder and shoulder-to-armpit joint.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meh, tattoos don't really hurt very much IMO. The only time I ever cringed was ribs, shin, and my elbow, but in all honesty, the pain is really not all that bad..

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Meh, tattoos don't really hurt very much IMO. The only time I ever cringed was ribs, shin, and my elbow, but in all honesty, the pain is really not all that bad..

I'd caveat this with duration totally makes a difference. My ribs hurt quite bad, but it was over quickly. Arm not bad but after hour 5 or 6 I was like ... gah.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd caveat this with duration totally makes a difference. My ribs hurt quite bad, but it was over quickly. Arm not bad but after hour 5 or 6 I was like ... gah.

OK, yes, I agree with this completely. About 3 hours is the limit of my tolerance and I'm out.. May be because I am high strung and hate sitting still that long..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads