• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Post pictures of a *properly* fitting dress shirt!

Ligament

Active Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2004
Messages
43
Reaction score
1
Hi All,

I wonder if some of you would post some pictures of shirts that you consider to be *properly* cut/fitted...a look that those of us more ignorant can use for a reference when we critique our own shirts.

Please tell us *why* it is fitted properly if you would.

thanks.f
 

jinx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
great question.
cant wait to see some responces
 

Alias

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
3
I'll take a picture of one of my shirts as an example. This will be later in the day, though.

Edit: Well, I just realized I had to take a picture of me wearing my shirt, but it's late and I threw all my clothes off before remembering. Will do tomorrow.
 

Alias

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
3
Blargh, and I thought Ranjeev was bad at taking pictures on time...
I'll try to take one when I get home today.
 

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
3,068
Reaction score
2
raising this from the dead, curious to see pictures...
 

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
8,507
Reaction score
1,248
Jeopordy Theme Song.... Revival of a thread that never even got off the ground but should have
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
26,069
Reaction score
3,774
This is a properly fitting shirt, posted without iammatt's permission but I'm cazy like that. Notice with his arms almsot extended there is very little excess fabric in the sleeves. The cuff end right at the beginning on the hand. The armhole begins a bit higher on the shoulder then some may like, but I like this style. Chest, waist, very little excess fabric yet nt constricting either. I like my shirts a smidgen tighter at the chest and waist, but those are just preferences. The most important thing to me, is no excess fabric sticking out of the waist of the pants. Clean all around the belt line. I wouldn't wear an open collar shirt, I only wear button down collar shirts in that casual manner, but matt is very street and he can get away with it. There is no such thing as a "perfect" shirt as everyone has individual preferences as to fit and what have you but if your shirts can look like this all the time, you've done well.

 

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
3,068
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by edmorel
This is a properly fitting shirt, posted without iammatt's permission but I'm cazy like that. Notice with his arms almsot extended there is very little excess fabric in the sleeves. The cuff end right at the beginning on the hand. The armhole begins a bit higher on the shoulder then some may like, but I like this style. Chest, waist, very little excess fabric yet nt constricting either. I like my shirts a smidgen tighter at the chest and waist, but those are just preferences. The most important thing to me, is no excess fabric sticking out of the waist of the pants. Clean all around the belt line.

my shirts tend to billow out at the back, not the front...do i just need to have a tailor take it in some more only in the back, or do i just need to tuck it in properly? it fits well all around other than the back bottom portion.
 

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
7,030
Reaction score
17
Originally Posted by stickonatree
my shirts tend to billow out at the back, not the front...do i just need to have a tailor take it in some more only in the back, or do i just need to tuck it in properly? it fits well all around other than the back bottom portion.
In iammatt's pick, I would only prefer my sleeves a little longer and also the sleeve a little slimmer. What I do is turn my shirts inside out and then take the sides in and keep going all the way down the sleeve. Sometimes, this makes it too tight in the chest, so I will improvise a bit. If it still billows a little in the back, you can make darts in back to give the shirt a nicer contour. There shouldn't be any billowing in back, or bunching at the waistline.
 

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
3,505
Reaction score
437
properly fitting is quite subjective.
Matt's shirt is constructed using a very expensive method. the armhole is very high, and the yoke is short and there is fullness at the top portion of the sleeve because it is set by hand. you can not walk into macy's and buy a shirt that will fit like this. You can't even walk into most custom shirtmakers and ask for this.


Stick. have a local tailor add some darts to the back. that will help.

Carl
 

hchamp

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
428
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
properly fitting is quite subjective.
Matt's shirt is constructed using a very expensive method. the armhole is very high, and the yoke is short and there is fullness at the top portion of the sleeve because it is set by hand. you can not walk into macy's and buy a shirt that will fit like this. You can't even walk into most custom shirtmakers and ask for this.


So you're saying the "expensive method" includes the "setting of the armholes by hand"?! Isn't this de rigueur for shirtmakers? Why wouldn't most shirtmakers be able to make this shirt?
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
26,069
Reaction score
3,774
Originally Posted by hchamp
So you're saying the "expensive method" includes the "setting of the armholes by hand"?! Isn't this de rigueur for shirtmakers? Why wouldn't most shirtmakers be able to make this shirt?

No and it is very easy to do wrong. I doubt you can get that type of yoke/armhole placement from a US shirtmaker, Shirtmaven will correct me if I am wrong.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

  • Crewneck sweater

  • Turtleneck sweater

  • Long-sleeve polo

  • Vest

  • I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
454,310
Messages
9,840,025
Members
205,248
Latest member
SarigYogir
Top