• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post pics of your denim - denim fades and evolution

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Nice, the pink weft is very unique. When people ask, do you tell them the weft is actually pink or do you say maroon or auburn?

Also, cool belt.

i tell them its pink because in reality its pink.
inlove.gif
combined with the indigo color from the warp it looks kinda like deep fuscia or purple but it does not look maroon or red. actually an acurate comparison would be pink lilac flowers!

and thanks everyone for the compliments. the belt is cool but it snags on the hem of my t-shirt sometimes.

i do wish julian red had other jeans with the nikki sixx wash. actually i would like to get another pair of these a size down (30). they have stretched and i've lost some weight.
confused.gif
i cant seem to track down any more though.

p.s.TURBOZED yes. i did in fact get these on ebay. i think i paid like $20. when they showed up in the post the fade looked way cooler in person.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Was digging through my iPhoto library and found some 5EP pics I never posted:
flat6mos5pi.jpg
back6mos7kl.jpg
My R&Bs are fading much slower. I think this is because there are more hues in the R&B dye. Also note that since the jeans are RHT, the honeycombs are more numerous on the left leg.

tangerine

Reaction score
^ aaah, those are looking nice... I truly was wondering why I had never seen pics of them after you were worbing them.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD

My R&Bs are fading much slower. I think this is because there are more hues in the R&B dye.

Also note that since the jeans are RHT, the honeycombs are more numerous on the left leg.

Looking good Brian.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
^ aaah, those are looking nice... I truly was wondering why I had never seen pics of them after you were worbing them.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yea, the worbing has gone quite well with these jeans. That's only about 6 months of wear on them. I'm sure after a year of worbing they'll be crazy. They're very yellow/green-casted.

tangerine

Reaction score
^ mine just got their first wash, but they are nowhere near as well-defined; I must worb them harder!

I found that due to the compactness of the weave, they don't seem to breathe as much as other denim, and needed a wash sooner. Due to the deep color, though, they lost an imperceptible amount of indigo in the first wash.

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score

flat6mos5pi.jpg

back6mos7kl.jpg

My R&Bs are fading much slower. I think this is because there are more hues in the R&B dye.

Also note that since the jeans are RHT, the honeycombs are more numerous on the left leg.

awesome. i love the back pocket stitching and coin pocket.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score

Looking great, Brian. Still just that one wash after the wine spill at 3 mos. or whenever? Or have you washed them again since?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Looking great, Brian. Still just that one wash after the wine spill at 3 mos. or whenever? Or have you washed them again since?

hmm.. 2-3 washes I think. I cant remember.

mojo_lo

Reaction score
RE: Taking in jeans to make them slimmer fitting, especially the bootcut

Originally Posted by BigSur
I'm sure it differs, but how much does something like that cost?

i just got my jeans back from San Francisco Tailors, right next to the old FAO Schwarz on O'Farrel.

I had a pair of bootcuts and I wanted the bootcut removed. they took my jeans in from the knee downwards. went from about a 10 1/4" leg opening to about 8 3/4".

Prices:
for both inseam and outseam: $25
for outseam only: $15
for inseam only: $20 (because they do double stitching)

they did a great job. i think the sewing at SF Tailors is actually better than the original sewing. great way to revive old jeans.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dangydang
Brian, are those the bootcuts? The fades look great, btw.

yea they're the bootcuts. the leg opening is about 0.75" wider than the knee, so its incredibly subtle.

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
so i was going through some of my vintage jeans tonight and i went nuts with my camera.

enjoy!

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2327/10016829ww.jpg

^all orange tab 517s. the first pair is about 30 years old and in the process of being repaired, second to last pair has been rinsed once and worn a few months since, last pair is at 2 weeks, stiff as burlap.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6117/10017072mf.jpg

^all the same as above except the second pair, a pair of 517 stretch, that fit very tight and look super straight.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7996/10017044gk.jpg

^the first pair is definately the oldest pair of 517's i've come across. they have a talon zip, #8, a more pronounced flare, and are not made from the 0217 denim like the rest. much softer denim that looks like its spent a lot of time on the beach.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5582/10017224cx.jpg

^top right: wrangler mens slim fit with an ideal zipper , black wrangler 13mwzwk, wrangler (womens?) bell bottoms 945 (iflc573 b?)w/ ideal zip and hem with red thread ! the pair on the bottom are sedgefields with asymetrical back pocket stitching and super fat beltloops. all of these are broken twill and im not sure of the vintage on any of them.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5051/10017232oz.jpg

^front of the sedgefields. i love these jeans. $2 at salvation army.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7637/10017206zm.jpg

^wrangler slim fit, sandy levis 517, levis 501xx, gloria vanderbilt by murjani(first "designer" jeans and among the first jeans with spandex) the construction and denim on these is amazing. the last pair are plain pockets (jcpenny brand from 60's-70's). cut like a 517 with no branding and awesome denim. very thick and slubby with excellent color.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5758/10017495wy.jpg

^close up of vanderbilt and plain pockets.

im sure i will post more later.

feel free to comment and/or help me date those wranglers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics