• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post photos of your media room!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The speaker/CD player/AM-FM unit is from Bang & Olufsen.
What do you think of this unit? I like the looks and portability, but was not too impressed by the soundstaging when I tried it out in the store.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Again with the ad hominems... Really, if you're going to dish it out you should either take it or at least quit interpreting any comment as a personal attack.
Well I thought it was quite funny.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
What do you think of this unit? I like the looks and portability, but was not too impressed by the soundstaging when I tried it out in the store.

Isn't that to be anticipated with B&O gear, generally speaking? Sonic quality is impressive but better can be had at the same price point for the true audiophile. This, of course, is just what I've heard as I can't substantiate it myself.

How is the SQ on the Magnepans? I was going to go audition some locally, just to check out planar speakers as I've never heard any.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
How is the SQ on the Magnepans? I was going to go audition some locally, just to check out planar speakers as I've never heard any.
It offers some of the best bang for the buck of any speaker. Their speakers have won most speaker awards at most price points. The 1.6s are a terrific bargain at $1,800 but you can also do well at $550 for MMG or $1,000 for MG12.

I record mostly small acoustic ensembles and do live to 2 track recording which creates a lot of resolution on the disc. I chose the Maggies since they resolve all of this detail. I need to know if the microphone placement is perfect as well and that is a matter of listening to overall balance and dynamics. The Maggies do that well also. But perhaps the best feature is something audiophile's call "presence" which gets to how realistic and present the performers are. In my experience nobody does that better than Magnepan. They also create a wonderfully wide and deep soundstage.

I would audition a pair at your local dealer. I've had two of their speakers since 1990, the IIIa and then later the 1.6QR and I have been very happy.
smile.gif

Dipole speakers do a lot of great things like the above and also image height. The only negative is that some don't like the look of big panels in a room. Having a dedicated media room helps but Magnepan has some smaller less intrusive models like the MMG MG12.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The B&O Beolab 5s are world class. There are very few better speakers at any price.

Maggies are nice, but limited in bass and dynamics (loudness mostly).

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I gave one as a gift to a family member when they first came out. B&O sort of imagined it as a boom box, so it's fine for casual purposes but probably not if you expect a whole lot out of an audio system. Of course, you know better than most whether to consider me biased on this subject.

I dunno. I read in recent years -- after B&O shot out of anything I would want to afford or aspire to -- that they had really improved their higher-end speakers in order to provide much better performance for demanding listeners, but I don't know how much of it is simply marketing for the gullible (see infra).

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Well I thought it was quite funny.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Yes, but you find my posts funny too.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I gave one as a gift to a family member when they first came out. B&O sort of imagined it as a boom box, so it's fine for casual purposes but probably not if you expect a whole lot out of an audio system. Of course, you know better than most whether to consider me biased on this subject.

I dunno. I read in recent years -- after B&O shot out of anything I would want to afford or aspire to -- that they had really improved their higher-end speakers in order to provide much better performance for demanding listeners, but I don't know how much of it is simply marketing for the gullible (see infra).

I think B&O may be the audio equivalent of Franck Muller: The high end is very high end, but the stuff that normal folk can afford can be had for much better much cheaper elsewhere. But it looks really cool.

And yes, I have seriously thought about acquiring an FM Casablanca.
smile.gif
Fortunately, reality usually sets in before I do any damage to my bank account.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think B&O may be the audio equivalent of Franck Muller: The high end is very high end, but the stuff that normal folk can afford can be had for much better much cheaper elsewhere. But it looks really cool.
Not going to argue with you there. But when a design of theirs really succeeds, it can be a thing of beauty which -- to the smitten -- justifies the price. But I think I've written about this elsewhere.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'm not an "audiophile" and I barely use it...looks nice and does the job to play filler or background music when I have friends over.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Not going to argue with you there. But when a design of theirs really succeeds, it can be a thing of beauty which -- to the smitten -- justifies the price. But I think I've written about this elsewhere.

I think this is true to an extent but also true is that one can get better sound quality for the same money by going with other high end brands. It does look damn good however and I applaud their design prowess.

Perhaps B&O is the Kiton of consumer electronics.
tounge.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps B&O is the Kiton of consumer electronics.
tounge.gif

You're being unduly kind. I would have said Armani or Berluti...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
You're being unduly kind. I would have said Armani or Berluti...

Well B&O developed ICE Power which is a bit of a breakthrough in digital amps so I think they offer some substance from a technical standpoint.
teacha.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He doesn't believe in global warming, but he does believe in the power of styrofoam...

I guess it's no more of a stretch than then demands placed upon him by the Christian faith.
rimshot.gif

Well B&O developed ICE Power which is a bit of a breakthrough in digital amps so I think they offer some substance from a technical standpoint.
teacha.gif

Ya, but it's the speakers that matter more than anything else. I'd never buy it, personally, unless I was extremely limited for space. I'd love to try Magnepans though. Placement on them is tough though as I've heard they need a lot of room to breath and good separation. They wouldn't work well in my current place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads