• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Possible to Remove Interlining in Silk Tie Without Ruining It?

ConservativEccentric

Reaction score
Many of my silk ties have rather bulky interlinings, which create an unsightly bulge beneath a thin vest or fitted sweater. Is it possible to have the interlining removed or replaced with a thinner one? And if so, where could I bring/send my ties to have this done?

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Many of my silk ties have rather bulky interlinings, which create an unsightly bulge beneath a thin vest or fitted sweater. Is it possible to have the interlining removed or replaced with a thinner one? And if so, where could I bring/send my ties to have this done?

Why not just buy an additional unlined tie? The cost at a tie maker would be as expensive I imagine

Also ,if you want some volume without the bulkiness, unlined ties with more folds are excellent, but they are more expensive though.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not just buy an additional unlined tie? The cost at a tie maker would be as expensive I imagine

Also ,if you want some volume without the bulkiness, unlined ties with more folds are excellent, but they are more expensive though.

do you know or do you imagine? Because I think this is not correct if you look up Tiecrafter’s own pricing on their website.

6 or 7 fold unlined ties are far more expensive.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
do you know or do you imagine? Because I think this is not correct if you look up Tiecrafter’s own pricing on their website.

6 or 7 fold unlined ties are far more expensive.

As you can read per above, I imagine. I guess it depends on situation and location? Some tiecrafters do this for a fair price, others ask far more. I'm not sure where OP is based, but here in Belgium, I can find unlined ties for around 45 EUR (retail) and even cheaper on ebay. Finding a tiecrafter here is tough to begin with, and even if I found one, it would cost a lot more. hemming pants already costs 20 EUR here at the local mediocre "kleermaker" (tailor in Dutch).. this means where labor is expensive, it might be interesting to buy new unlined ones. You also get more ties to pair outfits with, bonus points there.

And yes, 7 folds are expensive retail, but if you really would find "affordable" tiecrafters where labor is cheap, then other possibilities can be considered. What prevents you making a custom 5/6/7 fold for a more affordable price than retail in that case? only thing you need to do is provide your own silk fabric and ask them to make a tie with it based on standard pattern. It'd probably cost a bit more but still affordable compared to retail.

Last edited:

ConservativEccentric

Reaction score

I have so far been unable to find unlined ties in pattern and colour combinations that I really like (I am just too picky), hence the need to alter the ties that I do have. If anyone has recommendations of sites with a wide selection of unlined patterned ties, I would certainly take a look; I do not mind paying more, as I would get a lot more use out of them.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably a pretty easy diy ...

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two tie makers that are often mentioned here are Vanda Fine Clothing and Sam Hober. Both make ties to order and both can make them unlined. Take a look at their selection and see if there are any that strike your fancy.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Making a new tie unlined or lined his usually more expensive than remaking a tie. Although id expensive shipping is involved and or custom duties then the remade tie could be more expensive.

Normally I only suggest remaking a tie when it was a gift or you really love the fabric...

But it can be done - opening a tie removing the interlining and then sewing it closed again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads