• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Possible to get a partially lined sports jacket fully lined at a regular tailors?

Richdog

Reaction score
I just recieved delivery of the following blazer...

It's a lovely thing made from gorgeous Merino wool but only the arms are lined, giving an almost sweater-esque, deconstructed feel to it. I'm not massively against this in principle, but the problem is there are some "flappy" bits inside which are really bugging me as im used to the neat interior of a fully lined and pocketed blazer.

My question, is it possible to take a partially lined Blazer into a tailors and ask them to fully line it and add an internal pocket? If so, does anyone from experience know approximately how much that sort of thing would cost? I dont want anything fancy, just some blue internal lining and a pocket capable of holding a wallet.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I recently relined a suit coat for $225.

I don't think that lining will be the solution.

This is an unstructured shirt jacket. In comparison, a tailored sportscoat has the interior structure of canvas in the chest and skirt, horsehair and cotton in the chest, and shoulder padding.

If you add a lining, the garment will not be any more structured than it is. It still will be a shirt jacket.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You paid extra for unlined. Lining it won't give it anymore structure.

I'm sure you can get it lined. Adding lining is easier then converting a lined to unlined. Cost? Materials plus time.

Richdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
I recently relined a suit coat for $225. I don't think that lining will be the solution. This is an unstructured shirt jacket. In comparison, a tailored sportscoat has the interior structure of canvas in the chest and skirt, horsehair and cotton in the chest, and shoulder padding. If you add a lining, the garment will not be any more structured than it is. It still will be a shirt jacket.
Originally Posted by Nicola
You paid extra for unlined. Lining it won't give it anymore structure. I'm sure you can get it lined. Adding lining is easier then converting a lined to unlined. Cost? Materials plus time.
Well, im not sure I paid "extra"... I just want the flapping bits inside neatened up so theres no chance of them getting caught or ripped etc. If its more hassle than its worth then I may have to sadly send the thing back... which is a shame as I really like the styling and it looks awesome on me.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Souds like buggy lining, or some variation thereof. I'd leave it.

Richdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
Souds like buggy lining, or some variation thereof. I'd leave it.

Buggy lining?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Gooch

Reaction score
Send it to jeffreyd and get a full champ jersey lining.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
any tailor able to reline a jacket can place a lining in that jacket.
as him about the price.

Richdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Gooch
Send it to jeffreyd and get a full champ jersey lining.

Unless he is in the EU, that is probably going to be very pricey.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be lined though that will not change the structure.

Ask the tailor you plan to use about cost not here.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 85 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 155 31.8%
  • 8”

Votes: 141 28.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 57 11.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%