• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Possible to alter shoulder pads?

Neo123

Reaction score
I have just received a double-breasted Brioni suit, which I found on Ebay. Although the overall fit is good (size 40r), the style looks like something out of Donald Trump's closet ... in the 80's... if only he were taller.

I'm thinking that a tailor will be able to slim down the pants and jacket and let down the sleeves without any problem. However, I am a bit concerned about the shoulder padding. I'm fairly broad shouldered as it is, and the jacket has substantial padding - more that I'm used to at least - which makes me look a bit like Gordon Gekko. I can return the suit for 30 days, but overall, it's really nice and I paid a reasonable price, so I would love to keep it, provided that it can be tailored to my taste. Do you guys know if it's possible to alter the shoulder padding. I'm not necessarily interested in no padding at all, but definitely something a bit more natural (and modern).

I'm not too concerned about the cost (within reason) if it's possible to achieve a good result.

If it's doable, can anyone recommend a tailor in NYC; preferably on Manhattan?

Thanks.

4DHbt

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is doable. A very skilled tailor is necessary.
I have had shoulder pads reduced, removed, many times.
However, in your case "substantial padding" may mean
a major recut. In my experience it is advisable to buy
jackets that are close to the look you want, so that the
alterations are less extensive. Based on what you say,
the suit should probably be returned.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pictures would help. Shoulder pads can certainly be removed or replaced, but if the shoulders are too wide this may not have the effect you are desiring. Shoulders can usually be recut but don't dismiss the cost of it yet. In a place like Chicago it can end up costing several hundred dollars to do, and it still might not look the way you want. I have to imagine that the cost is comparable in NY.

Neo123

Reaction score
Pictures would help. Shoulder pads can certainly be removed or replaced, but if the shoulders are too wide this may not have the effect you are desiring. Shoulders can usually be recut but don't dismiss the cost of it yet. In a place like Chicago it can end up costing several hundred dollars to do, and it still might not look the way you want. I have to imagine that the cost is comparable in NY.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if the shoulders are "too wide" exactly. The overall fit is actually quite alright. They are more like too "elevated". I will try and upload a picture when I've figured out how.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm... Those shoulders actually look pretty good to me. I'm not sure I'd change them one bit. You might be able to get away with removing the shoulder pads, but sometimes it can wonk up the shoulders and make it look worse.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The shoulders aren’t nearly as bad as I would have thought based on your description. The typical Brioni shoulder is, in fact, somewhat structured (depending on model). It isn’t a typical Neopolitan shoulder that is ithout padding.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit fits you very well.
If you can put up with the shoulders,
I would leave them alone. On the
other hand, if you don't like the look
the suit might languish in the back of your
closet unworn.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders look great, don’t touch them. Sleeves an inch and a half too short though.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually other than the sleeves I think that I’d alter anything. Certainly don’t slim the jacket or trousers. They hang very well now and altering it would likely mess that up.

Neo123

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, guys.

Admittedly, the shoulders might not be that bad, but they are still significantly more structured than all my other suit jackets. I also appreciate your recommendations regarding the overall fit, but if I end up keeping the suit, I will definitely have the pants and jacket slimmed down (and of course the sleeves let down), and I'm afraid that this will further enhance the shoulders?

Here's a picture from behind - I do believe that they are too structured.

All in all, I'm hearing that it's a possible, but expensive operation - but also that I should consider keeping the suit as it is. I'll probably take the suit to a good tailor here in New York (any recommendations?) and get his (or her) thoughts as well :)

IMG_1107.jpg

aj805

Reaction score
I'd think about it for a few days, then if you're not happy return it. I disagree with the other assessments, those shoulders are a bit stout, and if that's not your thing, then it's not your thing. And I'd be surprised if you could get worthwhile results trying to alter them.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even from that angle the shoulders look fine to me. But yeah, if you really don’t like the look you should probably take it back. Or you could do what I do and keep everything forever. I’ve come back to items after years and used them regularly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads