• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Possible to add an accessory to black tie? or no.

beany_bot

Reaction score
Heading to another black tie dinner next week. Will be wearing my dinner suit as ever with black bow tie and cummerbund, white pocket square etc etc.

My question is, is there ANY safe way to even slightly stand out with black tie? It's just that it gets a bit boring a sea of men all looking literally identical.

Are gloves / scarves / canes only to be worn as part of White Tie, or are they acceptable for black tie?
I would like to have something different or "additional". Yet still remain true to purist black tie. I don't want to break any rules.

I would like people to think "Oh that's a nice touch, I had no idea you could wear that with black tie"

rather than "What is his guy doing, doesn't he know black tie etiquette!?"

Thanks.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could exchange the cummerbund for a vest.
The vest fabric should match the stain lapels of
the tux. Or you can really stand out with a not-matching vest,
but not one that is too outlandish.

beany_bot

Reaction score
You could exchange the cummerbund for a vest.
The vest fabric should match the stain lapels of
the tux. Or you can really stand out with a not-matching vest,
but not one that is too outlandish.

thanks, I have a vest, but 50% of the people there will be wearing a vest instead of a cummerbund. So not really standing out that way.
I think a coloured vest would be too much, too "wrong" in the eyes of the purists present, and understandably so.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could, rakishly, wear a formal scarf. Ivory is classic, and red is a power move. Don't keep the thing on all evening, though. Use it for entrances and exits. Alternatively, use some nice studs and links. I have a set of studs in white enamel with a red ring around the edge. Subtle, but they add a splash of color, especially effective with my ivory dinner jacket. If you wear a waistcoat, wear also a watch and chain.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wine or royal blue silk pocket square?
A carnation?

Looking like all the other men is sorta the point. Stand out by having your dinner suit impeccably tailored among the rentals.
A carnation is a nice touch, always. And the idea of a royal blue square is worth considering. But the tailoring is by far the best advice!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Equally, subtle as some of the suggestions above,
wear an ecru, off white evening shirt. I have one in
silk that is over 40 years old but no longer fits.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Equally, subtle as some of the suggestions above,
wear an ecru, off white evening shirt. I have one in
silk that is over 40 years old but no longer fits.
Interesting. Coincidentally, I'm having one made by Emma Willis, in cotton rather than silk. I hope to have it in time for the holidays and wear it with my green velvet dinner jacket.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton is more practical, but silk, which is matte,
adds some texture as well. In any case, when I
bought the shirt it was no big deal finding such a
shirt in New York, RTW, at Chipp and probably
other upper- mid range clothiers.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton is more practical, but silk, which is matte,
adds some texture as well. In any case, when I
bought the shirt it was no big deal finding such a
shirt in New York, RTW, at Chipp and probably
other upper- mid range clothiers.
I can't imagine that you'd find a silk formal shirt anywhere RTW these days, let alone in ivory. Emma Willis does (I think) have one in RTW in cotton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads