• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Possible fix for a sport coat collar?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a very attractive sport coat this morning at my local Jos.A. Bank. It fits very well in shoulders, chest, and sleeves, but for some reason the collar won't lay down against the back of my neck. It doesn't lean back away from my neck so much; rather, it sort of hovers above my neck.

The sales clerk suggested that a good pressing would bring it down, and when I expressed my suspicious that it would not, she said that their tailor could solve the problem by "taking material out of the collar." She pinched the collar right behind my neck to show me, and although that did bring the collar down to my neck, it also changed the overall silhouette of the jacket.

I'm holding off on the purchase until I hear from my trusted (and economically disinterested) homies here in the forum. What's the verdict?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no way to advise without a picture.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
The sales clerk suggested that a good pressing would bring it down,

When you hear this ... run.

This problem is common if your shoulder slope is more square than the shoulder slope of the jacket. Can be corrected but the degree of difficulty varies by make and amount of adjustment needed. You may also need the collar shortened.

Talk to the tailor if they have one in house next time and bypass the sales person.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

This problem is common if your shoulder slope is more square than the shoulder slope of the jacket. Can be corrected but the degree of difficulty varies by make and amount of adjustment needed. You may also need the collar shortened.

Talk to the tailor if they have one in house next time and bypass the sales person.

I agree, run. I have this problem with a few brands and, unfortunately, it's rarely corrected properly. This is the reason why I don't wear RLPL jackets.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
unless you open the shoulders, collar and sleeve head all the way and reconstruct everything, this adjustment usually falls short of looking and fitting as well as possible. If the collar is lowered too much you need to remove and raise up the entire back as well.
This is time consuming and requires skill and is generally avoided by alteration departments in stores.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Run away. The saleslady at Jos. A. Bank knows as much about menswear as the girl in the sweatpants that say "HOLLISTER" across the ass sucking on a frappucino and browsing the Spencers, which is to say, not a lot.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
This appears to be the consensus. Too bad, too, because it's a beatiful jacket. I think I'll buy it anyway, just so I can take it to my tailor and have him pass judgment. I can always return it if he agrees that it's hopeless.

I apologize for not getting a picture. I know that would have helped a lot, but it never even occured to me at the time. Thanks for trying to help me even without the visual aid.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try to steam the collar and see if you can get it to relax

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics