• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portland, Oregon?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Resurrecting this thread ...

I was in Portland this weekend, and got to try out a few of the suggestions:

--Andre

Andina was downhill the last time I went. I think their strength is in their cerviches and strong drinks. It was much much better the first time I went.

I've been to Pok Pok a few times, amazing wings...the grilled shrimp is out of this world as well. Love the iced tea with the lime in it...nice taste to it.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite a lot of food suggestions...any for shopping?

I've been to PDX a couple times and I loved it. Heading back in September. My go-to spot for clothes was Blake, but word is that it is not at its old location anymore. Any other recommended spots? (more like like Blake, less like Marios)

Robertito

Reaction score
We loved walking through Lizard Lounge, the company store of Horny Toad and Nau (they carry lots of other brands, though), and we seemed to spend a lot of time sitting outside at Veritable Quandary, a very friendly place with great food.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blake is on NW 23rd I believe. There are a lot of good quaint merchants there on that street. More alternative-ish...its a nice street to stroll down and just browse around though.

element02

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread again.

I'm heading to PDX for Labour Day weekend. I'm looking forward to checking out the restaurant suggestions, the Pearl District and scenic areas outside of PDX.

I would like to visit some wineries. Any suggestions?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just returned. Basically, what everybody says.

Thick cloud for the first three days. Christ, it's depressing. Looks nice in the sun.

Friendly people for the main, but the hipsters, vagrants, damaged youth gets old real fast.

Mt. Hood and Cannon Beach were amazing, as were the Pinots. Christom, Penner Ash, White Rose, et al. Superb! And the views in the valley were spectacular. Napa plus Hood and Jefferson.

Loved the Green, Vegan, Liberality, Health, Biking, and superb transit.

Tribunali for Napoli pizza, Bluehour three times for superb food and service.

Urban Farmer in The Nines, corporate, overpriced and pretty average.

The much vaunted Le Pigeon was ******* awful. **** service, incredibly fussy, hideously-salted food. $700 for 4! Farkl

And AirBNB. Nice place, crazy owner. Ugh!

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Friendly people for the main, but the hipsters, vagrants, damaged youth gets old real fast.

Indeed, a lot of SFers from NYC, SF, and other urban climes seem to be frequently disappointed upon arrival in Portland. There's a reason Portlandia calls it the place 'where the dream of the 90's lives on' -it's an aging, outdated place with a seedy core that's really only novel to an early 20 something . Good place to go to undergrad for, but not beyond. Don't try to find expensive restaurants or SF-approved bars (there are a few, but not many); if you go to Portland go there for what they're known for- vegan places, communal eateries, food trucks, and awesome brunch places.

Headed there in a couple weeks. Where should I eat besides Bluehour then?

I wouldn't go there, it's basically an isolated white-tablecloth place local folk go to to feel like they're classy. Head up a few blocks to Riffle, it just opened and they have in my opinion the best drinks in the city. Sweet Hereafter is an upscale vegan place, Tasty n Sons the best brunch and very good drinks, Kask, Bent Brick, and finally Porque No just off the top of my head. All of these are new, tasteful midrange places that will give you a good sample of what Portland 'should' be.

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed, a lot of SFers from NYC, SF, and other urban climes seem to be frequently disappointed upon arrival in Portland. There's a reason Portlandia calls it the place 'where the dream of the 90's lives on' -it's an aging, outdated place with a seedy core that's really only novel to an early 20 something . Good place to go to undergrad for, but not beyond. Don't try to find expensive restaurants or SF-approved bars (there are a few, but not many); if you go to Portland go there for what they're known for- vegan places, communal eateries, food trucks, and awesome brunch places.
I wouldn't go there, it's basically an isolated white-tablecloth place local folk go to to feel like they're classy. Head up a few blocks to Riffle, it just opened and they have in my opinion the best drinks in the city. Sweet Hereafter is an upscale vegan place, Tasty n Sons the best brunch and very good drinks, Kask, Bent Brick, and finally Porque No just off the top of my head. All of these are new, tasteful midrange places that will give you a good sample of what Portland 'should' be.

My assessment of Portland is there's plenty of what you describe but you overlook a ton of what makes it great... they are an epicenter for farm-to-table and do brilliantly at it. They're drivers in farmers market culture. It's a gateway to stunning outdoor life and great wines. On my somewhat frequent trips there, I find the hole-in-the-wall eateries do some terrifically good food, way above similar dives in larger cities.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
food-
tanuki
nostrana
biwa
apizza scholls
kens artisan pizza
olympic provisions
little bird
le pigeon
lindos michochan
chiang mai
bunk bar
lardo
screen door

shop
machus
blackbird
frances may
standup comedy
woodlands

coffee
coava
barista

bar
rumbar
love craft
slammer
aalto lounge
beulaland

still looking for my goto dive bar in the SE(34th /hawthorne area). any suggestions?

beer
hair of the dog
upright brewing
apex
beermongers
bazi

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread bump:

Will be in Portland for a mere 24hrs. Staying near Providence Park. What are my must go to's beer-wise? Doesn't have to be specific breweries (Cascade, Dechutes...). Great tap rooms will do for variety. What cans should I bring home? Food is a distant second...
Thx

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads