1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Portland, Oregon?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mmhollis, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

If you go out to Multnomah falls, the McMenanamin's Edgefield in Troutdale has a restaurant called Black Rabbit my brother swears by.

2. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

at Craft in LA, I had Maple BACON ice cream. The bacon ruined the experience.

I hear Pok Pok is supposed to be some really good Thai food. Supposedly Apizza scholls is supposed to be really really really good Pizza.

I have a list of restaurants to try everytime I go, but they are so numerous it stops me.

Oh yeah, I love burgerville (fast food) for their Walla Walla onion rings, their "spread" and their great milkshakes.

Maybe it's just how they did it at Craft. Aside from the shock value of having bacon in ice cream, it just sort of makes sense once you taste it (especially in maple ice cream). All that fat and saltiness, it works somehow.

Apizza Scholls rules, I had that while in Portland as well. Straight up New York style pizza done right. The place seems to have a huge local following, so there's a bit of a wait (we waited up to 45 minutes to get a seat), but fortunately there's a bar and you can enjoy a few pints of the good beers they had on tap. If I remember correctly, I think I had Fat Tire while waiting.

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

Check out Le Pigeon when dining in Portland. Headed by chef Gabriel Rucker, Le Pigeon is creating a pretty respectable name for itself in the food community.

I think Le Pigeon is considered the best "foodie" place in Portland, with "Beast" coming in a close second. I ate at Le Pigeon and liked it quite a lot. It's just down the block from Union Jack's if that is what you'd like to do after a nice meal.

I hear Pok Pok is supposed to be some really good Thai food.

Pok Pok is delicious, although very, very popular and no reservations, so plan ahead. If you've lived elsewhere with more "gourmet" SE Asian places (SF, LA, HK, Vancouver, Sydney), Pok Pok isn't particularly noteworthy, but it's a fairly new concept to Portland as far as I can tell. I was coming from NY, so it's not that unique but very good all the same.

Other stuff worth doing in Portland: check out Powell's books, visit many microbrews, visit Japanese Gardens and get the heck out of town. As far as I know, Mario's is the best clothing place in town: http://www.marios.com/

4. Poomba

Poomba Senior member

Definitly visit Blakes, its on the corner of NW23rd and Johnson, i think

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

[​IMG] Unfortunately you will only be able to carry 100 lbs back to your wagon.

6. brimley

brimley Senior member

Bumping this. Will be in Portland for a few days after Christmas, advice on fun stuff to do? I see the strip club/restaurant/Blake scene has been covered heavily already.

As an aside, recommendations on fun stuff to do on the drive between Portland and the Redwood National Forest?

7. Eason

Eason Senior member

Eat at Andina on 13th & Glisan, it's Peruvian tapas that's amazing. Order the Sachsayhuaman, it's habanero infused vodka with passion fruit puree and dusted with cane sugar. Their mojitos are also excellent. Also, bring a flamethrower to kill drug addicts, gutter punks, and hippies.

8. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

Bumping this. Will be in Portland for a few days after Christmas, advice on fun stuff to do? I see the strip club/restaurant/Blake scene has been covered heavily already.

As an aside, recommendations on fun stuff to do on the drive between Portland and the Redwood National Forest?

If you like classic video games, check out my friend's arcade Ground Kontrol. Good cheap fun and they serve beer.

http://groundkontrol.com/index.php

9. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Its going to be rather cold, I'll be in town too...maybe you'll see me in that APC coat I bought from you last week. [​IMG]

Maybe go watch a Portland Trailblazers game? THose are always a good time and you see a lot of great festive atmosphere in the Rose Garden.

I guess Filson opened up a retail outlet out by the Pearl District, I'll check that when I go for sure.

[​IMG]

10. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

I used to live at 15th and Alberta, so my digs are a little more local to that: All on Alberta around said intersection: Helser's - Great Brunch. Tin Shed - Good brunch Halibut's II - pretty decent fish & chips for the area Some Weird Pizza place down towards 33rd: Pretty decent pizza, including vegan slices. I always thought Concordia on Killingsworth & 33rd had great bar food. PCG, as mentioned, has a good view, kinda a meat market like it's sister restaurant, Henry's Tavern on 11th. I actually liked the food at Henry's, but not the price. There's some cool small places down in the SE, but I never went to them. The only strip club I went to was Magic Gardens in Chinatown. I got a thing for cute punk rock suicide girls. [​IMG]

11. mps23

mps23 Senior member

paley's is a nice place to eat.
    all of the french bakeries in nob hill are excellent, i recommend st honore on thurman st.

mary's club is one of the better strip clubs. union jack's isn't bad either.

remember that portland's restaurants sometimes have community tables, & they're great to sit at and meet new ppl - unlike ny, where everyone keeps to themselves.

there is one nice men's clothing shop in the pearl district - i forget the name, but most of the SFers would probably be satisfied with it. it's right by the lululemon shop and the whole foods.

and if you go to multnohmah falls, walk all the way to the top, then make a left and you can go deeper into the woods. if you make a right, you end up in some touristy spot. however, none of this may make a difference now that it's the winter.

best thing of all about portland: the people are genuinely friendly and talkative.

12. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

paley's is a nice place to eat.

there is one nice men's clothing shop in the pearl district - i forget the name, but most of the SFers would probably be satisfied with it. it's right by the lululemon shop and the whole foods.

Michael Allen's? I know he's moved since I lived there, but I always liked his shop.

13. SuitGuy24

SuitGuy24 Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, avoid the hyped 50 Plates in The Pearl. Worst meal I have ever had at an (allegedly) "upscale" restaurant. I could have save 50 Bucks and stayed home with Dinty Moore Beef Stew and Pillsbury Crescent Rolls.

14. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

and if you go to multnohmah falls, walk all the way to the top, then make a left and you can go deeper into the woods. if you make a right, you end up in some touristy spot. however, none of this may make a difference now that it's the winter.

best thing of all about portland: the people are genuinely friendly and talkative.

Last summer I went hiking up there with my college roomate, we turned left and two random hippies gave us some weed to smoke. We had our own stash but it was cool they smoked us out up there. This was all unprovoked, we were chatting with them on the way up about the hike and they just go, "hey, you guys smoke?".

I'm going to try to go to Toro Bravo sometime next week...that's if I can even get to the PNW with the weather being as bad as it is.

15. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

went up there a few months back for a brewery tour with a bunch of my friends. Awesome time. We didnt engage in a lot of culinary experiences outside of bar food. Though I did eat at one late night joint that had mac and cheese that was divine. Best Ive EVER had. Holy crap it was good.

Check out the brew pubs though, those are fun. And the video game place is cool, though the bartender is uber-sensitive about serving you too much. We got cut off for an hour on a sunday night - it was rediculous. But to play double dragon for a quarter, Ill take it.

16. 2Scoops

2Scoops Senior member

about 5 years ago when i was still living in pdx, i remember hearing rumors of either a 1 armed or 1 legged stripper. i've always wondered if there was any truth to that.

17. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Made it to Toro Bravo after Blazers game. No wait!

Damn good.....

Bread with butter & olive oil
    Marinated Sheep's Cheese with rose petal harissa and mint
    Plums stuffed with Foie Gras
    Salt Cod Fritters with aioli
    House Smoked Coppa Steak with olive oil poached potatoes chopped olives & salbitxada
    Seared Scallops with romesco
    Paella Toro
    Molten Chocolate Cake with vanilla ice cream
    Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin with beans

all very good!!!! and cheap! only $105 for all of that before tip, with some drinks, etc......4 people......

18. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I assume you are taking the coast route, not I-5. Just did this in September. Lots of things to see on the drive - it all depends on how much time you want to spend doing the drive. We took 3 days to make it down to San Francisco.

Most important - take US 26 from Portland to Cannon Beach to get over the coast range. DO NOT take any of the lesser east/west state highways across the middle of the state. There is some crazy amounts of snow that the coast range receives since it is smack in the path of moisture-laden storm systems that roll in off the Pacific Ocean. Not too long ago, a CNET editor from SF died after losing his way in high snow in one of the smaller E/W highways across western Oregon. It might come as a surprise to a lot of people, but Oregon probably has the smallest cell phone footprint of any state in the lower 48 other than Nevada.

Once you are on 101, you can just follow it all the way down to California. If you have another 1/2 day to spare, you might want to head north to Astoria when you get to 101 - directly opposite to where you want to go but the detour is worth it to see Fort Clatsop, the final stop of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Otherwise, turn left at the ocean and head south.

Stop at Newport to catch the Aquarium if you are into that sort of thing - it is pretty good. Consider stopping somewhere around Florence at a place called the Sea Lion Caves. There is an elevator that takes you down to a glass window view of a sea cave where sea lions hang out. It is a bit of a tourist trap but I think worth seeing. Also, probably a highlight for me is taking a dune buggy tour of the Oregon Coast Sand Dunes, one of the biggest such geological formations in the world. I took a tour with an outfit called Ultimate Dune Tour Rides (Telephone: 1-877-271-0369) based in Winchester Bay, OR. DO NOT MISS the dunes. It is spectacular. One warning - it is COLD. Get bundled up like you would in Chicago in January - believe me, I froze my a** off in September. There are lots of beaches along the way that you can stop at, but winter in Oregon is no picnic. It is cold and wet but the coastline is spectacular, so I would recommend at least stopping in some spots along the way and doing some short hikes in the coastal forest if you can. Take rain gear. An umbrella just won't cut it. Once you get to California, spend time in the various coastal redwood forests. Google for Avenue of the Giants - there are some pretty spectacular drives in some gigantic old growth forests.

Clothing warning. It is wet and cold pretty much all the way down the coast. Take lots of rain gear and cold weather gear. There is nothing like being wet to mess up a vacation drive. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a dry spell, but the odds are against you.

Also, check weather updates as well as highway closures. The Oregon Dept of Transportation (ODOT) has a good website with highway information. Landslides are not uncommon along the coast highway due to the high rainfall in winter and they can take days to clear by the road crews, so check before you go so that you are not stuck in some village on the coast.

Good luck and PM me if you want some specific information. Also, Google for Oregon Coast to Redwood drive and you will get a list of other stuff to see. There are lots of lighthouses worth seeing if you are interested, as well.

19. brimley

brimley Senior member

It might come as a surprise to a lot of people, but Oregon probably has the smallest cell phone footprint of any state in the lower 48 other than Nevada.

Post trip, these are the two things that I agree with most. Although I have ATT, and my brother could get service on remote Redwood trails with Verizon.

Its going to be rather cold, I'll be in town too...maybe you'll see me in that APC coat I bought from you last week. [​IMG]

Hope it made it in a timely manner! Not USPS's finest effort.

20. Spintherism

Spintherism Senior member

Eat at Andina on 13th & Glisan, it's Peruvian tapas that's amazing. Order the Sachsayhuaman, it's habanero infused vodka with passion fruit puree and dusted with cane sugar. Their mojitos are also excellent. Also, bring a flamethrower to kill drug addicts, gutter punks, and hippies.

+1 on Andina. Best tapas ever.