• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portland, OR

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read through the older threads, but we need a travel subfora or something...

Anyway, off to Portland for a weekend. Lots of questions.

Ace Hotel, Jupiter, or somewhere else for a place to stay? Which distilleries are worth the effort, which breweries, which wineries? Any other craft sort of things to do? Any restaurant suggestions - preferably something that just is more "Portland" - whatever that is.

And then of course, where to go shopping for clothes? The group of us is from SF and Seattle, so preferably something local again - leathermakers, random local boutique, etc.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
And then of course, where to go shopping for clothes? The group of us is from SF and Seattle, so preferably something local again - leathermakers, random local boutique, etc.

Tanner Goods is from there. I think the member kixslf works with them. You should just PM him. Also, Adamha lives there. How people from Seattle don't know Portland in and out is beyond me.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Tanner Goods is from there. I think the member kixslf works with them. You should just PM him. Also, Adamha lives there. How people from Seattle don't know Portland in and out is beyond me.

My Seattle friends usually go to Vancouver if they go anywhere. Plus, the few times they have been there, they just did standard stuff.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Check out Winn Perry.
Remember not to try and pump your gas or the guy will yell at you.

DocmanCC

Reaction score
If you're looking for more touristy suggestions here are a few places you shouldn't miss:
- International Rose Test Garden
- Classical Chinese Garden
- Japanese Garden (I recommend this most of the three gardens)

Local scene shopping:
- SE Hawthorne Blvd between 32nd and 40th for lots of vintage clothes and local shopping, including...
- The Perfume House, at Hawthorne and 33rd. 1500+ perfumes presided over by a fantastic elderly gentleman. He will stear you in the right direction no matter your interests. I've taken numerous vistors here and it is often an unexpected highlight of their trip. You won't find a place of this quality in Seattle or San Francisco.
- NW 23rd near Burnside, just northwest of downtown. Another local shopping and dining area. Fantastic eats.

Suiting, etc:
- Marios. I think there's one in Seattle as well so you may be familiar.
- John Helmer Haberdasher
- Duchess Clothier if you're into neo-vintage MTM boarding on hipster.

Food & Drink:
- The Secret Society for the best mixed drinks in town, hands down. Sazarac, Pimms Cup, a proper Old Fashiond, and many more. If memory services nothing is over $8 except the champagne drinks. Great bar menu, too.
- Next door is Toro Bravo. Fantastic tapas. Wait for your reservation (which may be an hour or more) while having drinks next door at Secret Society.
- You can't come to beertown without visiting a brewery. See an extensive list with reviews at Beer Advocate.
- Ohana Hawaiian Cafe @ NE Sandy Blvd and 63rd. If you rent a car you can easily hit up Ohana from the airport on your way downtown. Portland sports a sizeable Hawaiian population and a number of restaurants. Ohana is the best i've tried so far.

No matter where you stay try to find a place near the Max line. Portland lives up to its reputation in public transit. Enjoy your trip!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads