• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portfolio for interview/job

gsk3

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Didn't get the fellowship last time, so have to join the real world for a year or two. Have an interview next week at a firm in a very conservative industry (management consulting). Going to wear the same medium grey suit, black captoes, red tie as last time.

So the first question is: what color portfolio? (or am I just being crazy here and it doesn't matter?)
Black/Brown? I tend to like the look of brown leather more, but maybe black is more conservative for a padfolio type thing?

Specific options, in no particular order:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...ge-Jotter.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=1036592

Any other suggestions I've missed? I definitely don't want to go above $100, and would really prefer keeping it to $50-60. But quality is important and I want to have this for a good while, so if I have to pay more, I will.

I don't know particular brands here, so guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Ari

billiebob

Reaction score
Coach outlets (at least the one at Riverhead, LI) had leather stuff on deep, deep discount last October.

I got a black zippered portfolio for 112, down from 200-something, a brown leather Fulton fold-over briefcase, and a gorgeous leather cabin bag.

The non-zippered portfolios were even cheaper, an available in black or brown. They are good quality, chinese made, and devoid of any of the gold-colored metal corners.

The coach outlet in woodbury commons also had some portfolios.
I think black makes a better portfolio, and brown for the briefcase.

Good luck with the interviews. I've been looking for a job in capital markets myself for around 6-months. competition is fierce!

gsk3

Reaction score
Thanks for the Coach suggestions, but just don't have time (first interview is a week today).
Wound up ordering this:
http://www.ebags.com/derek_alexander...m?modelid=2178
Looks to be decent quality, has pockets, non-zip-around. All of these things I came to realize were good things as I searched.
Had to pay $20 for shipping when regular shipping was free, but that's what I get for waiting, right?

Thanks,
Ari

joseanes

Reaction score
I got one from Staples: BUXTON leather writing pad portfolio. They have the $20 one and the $40. I have purchased both in the past (the $20 must have been loaned to a friend and never returned). I am very satisfied with the $40 one.

seok

Reaction score
i'm assuming that you're still in school? if so, the vast, vast majority of applicants for management consulting and i-banking jobs go in with portfolios of their schools, and i understand that it's a pretty well-accepted practice. u can get them in the university bookstore.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my brown coach for $60 at the outlet. Was originally $175, so if you have an outlet near by thats the way to go.

gsk3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seok
i'm assuming that you're still in school? if so, the vast, vast majority of applicants for management consulting and i-banking jobs go in with portfolios of their schools, and i understand that it's a pretty well-accepted practice. u can get them in the university bookstore.

Unfortunately, I checked out this option the other day. $160.
Then I pulled out my trusty Guinness Book of World Records and looked up the four most expensive letters in the alphabet. The answer?
P-E-N-N
Or is that three letters?

Best,
Ari

gsk3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joseanes
I got one from Staples: BUXTON leather writing pad portfolio. They have the $20 one and the $40. I have purchased both in the past (the $20 must have been loaned to a friend and never returned). I am very satisfied with the $40 one.

Hm, could've saved some bucks. Oh well.

Ari

seok

Reaction score
oh, i meant the leather folders that every interviewee seems to carry around...i remember that costing around $40...

Originally Posted by gsk3
Unfortunately, I checked out this option the other day. $160.
Then I pulled out my trusty Guinness Book of World Records and looked up the four most expensive letters in the alphabet. The answer?
P-E-N-N
Or is that three letters?

Best,
Ari

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So any full-grain, black leather portfolio, either with or without a zipper, is an acceptably stylish accessory to an interview?

sloaney

Reaction score
I am saying this with the best of intentions, so don't shoot me.

I find leather portfolios (especially those with the very large college seals in gold) to be extremely tacky because they tend to be cheap, low quality and pretentious at the same time. It is the equivalent of the American Jackass look for college candidates, if you will. A college student trying to play "grown up". The ONLY people you see at the office carrying these leather portfolios are college-level interviewees. I would suggest a discreet, dark colored paper folder (my preference) or a quiet leather briefcase.

Am I out of my mind?

summej2

Reaction score
I have to agree, the so-called "padfolios" never struck me as very classy. I'd much rather see a discrete underarm briefcase: i.e., a true portfolio.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
I find leather portfolios (especially those with the very large college seals in gold) to be extremely tacky because they tend to be cheap, low quality and pretentious at the same time. It is the equivalent of the American Jackass look for college candidates, if you will. A college student trying to play "grown up". The ONLY people you see at the office carrying these leather portfolios are college-level interviewees. I would suggest a discreet, dark colored paper folder (my preference) or a quiet leather briefcase.
Yeah, they struck me as a little pretentious, but they seemed to be the forum status quo, and with interviews one doesn't want one's accessories to stand out. I am looking to upgrade from the paper folder of my entry-level job days. I will be working in business-casual offices for the foreseeable future, so I only need a case to go with interview suits, but I'm willing to invest in a modestly-priced briefcase if it is the stylish choice. I assume "quiet" means black and soft, with a handle but no shoulder-strap. Where should one begin looking for a high-value model? For example, how are the cases of everyone's-favourite-shoe-maker Kenneth Cole?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads