• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portfolio/Bag suggestions (for a girl)

Hermitedge

Reaction score
I need to buy a graduation gift for a psych major, and time is running out. Being oblivious to women's fashion in regards to these things, anybody have suggestions?

I thought I'd go to Coach, but aside from that, any brands I should look into that aren't overly expensive? Is Piel decent?

thanks.

[cross post]

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Edit; oops... I somehow missed that it was for a girl.

Anyway, I don't recommend Coach. It's largely overpriced junk, for the most part.

tgr5m

Reaction score
My girlfriend loves anything Coach, and as far as it being junk, the purses seem to be well made to me. Moreso than her juicy couture bags anyway. Coach bags might not be as nice as a Louis Vuitton bag, but coach bags generally cost 1/4 the price too. I'd say they're probably a bit overpriced, but pretty much any fashion brand name will be somewhat.

Dooney & Bourke makes nice purses for fairly reasonable as well (cheaper than coach). Overall though, I'd take a look at what your gf prefers. Luckily (for me), my girlfriend is not particularly entranced with the super-premium luxury brands, which in my opinion really truly are embarassingly overpriced, but she does like Coach, Juicy, and Dooney. Just hope she doesn't say something like "I've always wanted a Gucci bag, or Louis V bag".

In my experience, most girls want the purse BECAUSE of the brand name, and anything that has the same style but is not the actual brand is considered to just be a knockoff. As far as Piel, I've never heard of that brand.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's your price range?

pretty difficult to respond if we dont know that...

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
what's your price range?

pretty difficult to respond if we dont know that...

Goal was basically request brands and then look into those. I suppose if its nice leather padfolio, I'd want to pay around $150. If it's a portfolio bag with organizer pockets of some sort, I'd be into paying double?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$150 for a portfolio? Chances are with a psychology background with only an undergrad degree she will not be making much use of it.

summej2

Reaction score
Finding portfolios for women that are actually nice and not too masculine is tough. My wife carries a few old Mark Cross bags and portfolios of that type that are nice, but that's not an option anymore. Bottega Veneta makes nice portofolio-type bags for women, but that's out of your price range. Coach used to be a good option, but the new stuff is so-so in quality. Maybe Piquadro has something nice in this range (look on Yoox). The design is more modern, but it's probably a better value. Also, I drove by their factory in Riola this summer and it looks like most (all?) production is still in-house. You could try Arandu too: http://www.arandu.com.ar

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
$150 for a portfolio? Chances are with a psychology background with only an undergrad degree she will not be making much use of it.
qwhat? Well wouldnt a padfolio come in handy at least in terms of interviews or just to use as a personal organizer. She is probably doing the med school bit, or maybe a masters... thought something like this would be useful. Thanks to everybody for their suggestions, I will be looking into those brands as well.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Piquadro is quite nice...i bought my wife a wallet by them (she's a complete purse snob
laugh.gif
so i wasnt sure if she would like it), but she likes it even more than her Prada and LV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads