Porterhouse Steak

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by NewYorkIslander, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

i have nothing to add except congratulations on snaring a wife who understands mans canivorious needs so well [​IMG]

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Lame post, odoreater. You've got bad info in there. Others above commit the same atrocities. Apparently there's a lot of folks fucking up steak out there in SF-land.

[​IMG]

There's an "expert" for everything around here.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Wait, weren't you the guy who suggested stuffing the porterhouse with vegetables? I didn't think you were being serious. I thought you were just joshing us. Now I don't know. I think maybe you have your head in your ass.

[​IMG]

You should watch that blood pressure... [​IMG]

4. hadamulletonce

hadamulletonce Senior member

[​IMG]

The best pan to do a steak on the stove top is cast iron, not any kind of stainless steel or aluminum. The reason is because it will get hotter and will maintain the heat the longest and will distribute the heat evenly. You should heat your oven to 500 degrees, throw the cast iron skillet in there for a while, then when the skillet is nice and hot, take the skillet out and put it on the stove top burner.

You should rub the steak with peanut oil or canola oil (because they have the highest smoke points), and then throw the steak on the skillet for about 90 seconds each side. Then, take the whole cast iron skillet and throw it in the oven and leave it in there about 2.5 minutes per side. This should give you a medium rare with a nice sear on either side of the steak.

Best way to cook a steak in my opinion. Nothing like a porterhouse cooked in an iron skillet.

5. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

at what oven temp and for how long?
    High temperature--anywhere from 425 to 500, depending on how well vented your kitchen is, where the smoke detectors are located, etc. I use a Polder thermometer and cook the steak by temperature rather than time. It never fails. I always start with a steak at room temperature, and I never, ever, ever use a "non-stick pan." If I don't have cast iron, I'll use a high quality saute pan.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Wait, weren't you the guy who suggested stuffing the porterhouse with vegetables? I didn't think you were being serious. I thought you were just joshing us. Now I don't know. I think maybe you have your head in your ass.

Non-sequitur tag? You do know that GDL is French, no?

7. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Is there any way to get a decent stove-top steak without going to the oven?

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I can't access eGullet right now for some reason, but go to eGullet and search for "best way to cook a thick steak." It's a way that involves slowly cooking it and basting with butter constantly. Takes a long time, like 45 minutes or more, but the results are incredible.

9. SField

SField Senior member

I can't access eGullet right now for some reason, but go to eGullet and search for "best way to cook a thick steak." It's a way that involves slowly cooking it and basting with butter constantly. Takes a long time, like 45 minutes or more, but the results are incredible.

OMFG NOTHING BUT SALT AND PEPPER!!!! AND YOU AREN'T USING A WEBBER GRILL!!! GO TO HELL YOU'RE THE ANTICHRIST!!!!!!!

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Lulz. Okay edmorel.

Hey, isn't that Ducasse recipe? Do they actually cook it that way in his restos?

11. SField

SField Senior member

Lulz. Okay edmorel.

Hey, isn't that Ducasse recipe? Do they actually cook it that way in his restos?

Well basting with butter in a pan isn't exactly a recipe as much as it's common sense.

12. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

This one? I already had it bookmarked, and it sounds great but I usually just cook for myself and this seems like overkill. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=119838 What counts as a "thick" steak, btw? 2 inches?

13. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

Well basting with butter in a pan isn't exactly a recipe as much as it's common sense.

Butter makes everything better!

14. CBDB

CBDB Senior member

+100
    The results will blow you away. The technique was made famous by Alaine Ducasse.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...a-thick-steak/

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    if you're going to grill it, i really like the way dario cecchini does bistecca: cut a porterhouse at least 2 inches thick (3 fingers). salt and pepper. grill on both sides to sear, then turn it so it's resting on the T of the bone to cook through. rest and drizzle with olive oil and more good salt.