• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portable GPS, what to buy?

mussel

Reaction score
I am shopping for a portable GPS, Tomtom and Garmin seem to be the 2 most popular ones, anyone has any experinece with either? Whose interface's better? Hard drive vs. SD flash card based models? I also prefer units with European maps, are there any free map downloads?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
IMO the Garmin units are currently king. Their antennas are reputedly the most sensitive. There is no point in a fancy GPS if it can't pick up a signal.

I own a Garmin Rino 130 which is a radio/GPS unit designed for hunters and hikers. It is not a good driving GPS.

For a driving GPS I have used a Garmin Nuvi with good results. There are a lot of them out there so check out this link for a comparison chart of the Nuvi series. I have used a Garmin Nuvi 360 (not mine); if you insist on Euro maps then I think the 370 or 670 is for you.

Hope this helps!

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Tom Tom One . It can be had for around 150.00. Deals pop up all the time at BestBuy or online retailers.
It has only GPS and bluetooth/cell phone capabilities. I really have no complains. Easy to operate comes with US/CAN and EU maps.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Garmin I like the most and would say TomTom is second if I had to choose. Don't really like any of the other brands.

I'm getting a Garmin for my girl for Xmas. I hope they come out with a widescreen version of the 360

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick with Garmin or Magellan. I've found too many errors in the TomTom database.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin as well, and am very satisfied with it.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. Haven't had it for very long, and since it's the first one I've used I have no basis for comparison.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nuvi 350 I've had since Feb...no basis for comparison either, but I'm quite pleased with it.

One note, whatever you get make sure it dictates street names, it is way more helpful to hear "turn left on Eagle street in .5 miles" rather than "turn left in .5 miles". That feature will cost a bit more, but it is absolutely necessary for me, to keep from having to look at the navigator constantly.

Also, the 2008 map update CD from Garmin just came out in August. Be sure to register your product on Garmin's website, and order the update CD while you can still get it for free (it's normally 70 dollars)

PS - No navigator is a replacement for local knowledge of an area. It WILL get you from point A to point B, but if you already know how to get there, it will frustrate you with directions that seem to be drafted by a marsupial. Still, if you have no idea where you are going, it doesn't matter what kind of route it gives you, so long as you get there.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
One note, whatever you get make sure it dictates street names, it is way more helpful to hear "turn left on Eagle street in .5 miles" rather than "turn left in .5 miles". That feature will cost a bit more, but it is absolutely necessary for me, to keep from having to look at the navigator constantly.

I've found the street name feature to be kind of useless here in Jersey because it tells you: "turn left on county road 610" instead of "turn left on springfield avenue". Who the **** knows the streets around here by their county road number?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here in TX many/most streets are labeled with both so I kinda luck out. The ones that aren't always lead to a light bulb going off in my head "OH SO THIS IS FARM ROAD 1959!" etc.

I've found the street name feature to be kind of useless here in Jersey because it tells you: "turn left on county road 610" instead of "turn left on springfield avenue". Who the **** knows the streets around here by their county road number?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Here in TX many/most streets are labeled with both so I kinda luck out. The ones that aren't always lead to a light bulb going off in my head "OH SO THIS IS FARM ROAD 1959!" etc.

Here they're always labeled as both too, but for some reason, only the number is programmed into the GPS and not the name of the street. But, all things being equal, it's probably better to have that function than not to have it.

Also, the most useful thing that I find about the GPS is having the function that tells you what time you are going to arrive. Barring traffic or having to drive through an area with a huge number of streetlights, it's usually accurrate within a minute or two and really helps in planning the day.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the newer ones also will tell you about traffic up the road and let you automatically select an alternate route. Might come in handy. I know it would of when I was going to Spring Lake, NJ this year. We hit serious traffic on the GW and probably could have went an alternate route if we knew it was ahead.

Anyone have a GPS with bluetooth? I'm curious how well it ties into the phone and if it really is a useful feature. I have a headset but if I can go without it, why not I suppose.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Sorry that I'm late to the dance, gentlemen, but I was just reading up on some GPS innovations - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/au...in&oref=slogin The Tele Atlas initiative toward 3D mapping and the potential speed trap notifier is definitely going to sway my favor toward their products. Here's a pic of the 3D landmark recording vehicle: I've personally been using a TomTom ONE XL and I've been quite impressed. I'm still a young lad so price is a heavy factor into my equation, and the ONE XL was the best inexpensive one out there. I really want to try the ONE XLS; I haven't used one that has Text to Speech yet. GPS Nirvana awaits... What kind of errors have you found with the TomTom database? I've personally been pretty lucky and happy thus far...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads