• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Port forwarding help

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I've successfully changed to a static IP and am trying to forward ports for Utorrent. Now, I am unable to access my router configuration on a browser. I don't know why; I've tried the default router IP, my current IP, etc. Not sure what's going on.

Suggestions?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The router will have two IPs. The static IP from your ISP and a local non-routable IP (usually in the 192.168.x.x) range.

It might help if you let us know what model your router is.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
The router will have two IPs. The static IP from your ISP and a local non-routable IP (usually in the 192.168.x.x) range. It might help if you let us know what model your router is.
Zyxel P-330W. I've been using the local IP (192.168.1.1 IIRC) to no avail.

Kique

Reaction score
Default is 192.168.1.1 so maybe you should reset the router by pressing the button on the back to get it back to the default.

Username: admin
password: 1234

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have a copy of any connection details you need for your ISP though.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worked tech support in college and sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.

Are you connected to the router with a cable? I'm not familiar with your router but many of them do not allow you to access the config via wireless unless you enable it specifically in the settings first.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Worked tech support in college and sometimes the simplest answer is the best one. Are you connected to the router with a cable? I'm not familiar with your router but many of them do not allow you to access the config via wireless unless you enable it specifically in the settings first.
Yeah I am. I tried resetting the router last night and it didn't seem to work. I'll give it another go later on and report back.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
go to start - run - type cmd - hit enter. bring up a command prompt.

type ipconfig /all and hit enter. find the default gateway address (might be 192.168.1.1 but there are quite a few that are commonly used). That's where you want to go in your browser. Be sure to disable your firewall software just in case.

If that doesn't work and resetting it doesn't work to let you get on there, personally I'd give up and get a Linksys WRT54G - you can find them used for $25-30 on craigslist and they are hackable to give higher wireless output. I'm not familiar with Xyzel or whatever, which means I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to make it work, but that's just me.

Also, see if you can hook up to your router via USB. Lots of them have USB ports. Worth a shot.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If that doesn't work and resetting it doesn't work to let you get on there, personally I'd give up and get a Linksys WRT54G - you can find them used for $25-30 on craigslist and they are hackable to give higher wireless output.
Not all of them are. I can't remember which versions aren't though.

However, there is the WRT54GL which definitely is.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try 192.168.10.1

admin and 1234 as user and password.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You're right, the ones past version 5 (IIRC) are much less hackable. Most of the ones I've found in thrift stores and craigslist have been older than that though. I haven't gotten around to hacking mine yet, but it's nice to know I can, and they work well even without hacking them anyway.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
go to start - run - type cmd - hit enter. bring up a command prompt. type ipconfig /all and hit enter. find the default gateway address (might be 192.168.1.1 but there are quite a few that are commonly used). That's where you want to go in your browser. Be sure to disable your firewall software just in case. If that doesn't work and resetting it doesn't work to let you get on there, personally I'd give up and get a Linksys WRT54G - you can find them used for $25-30 on craigslist and they are hackable to give higher wireless output. I'm not familiar with Xyzel or whatever, which means I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to make it work, but that's just me. Also, see if you can hook up to your router via USB. Lots of them have USB ports. Worth a shot.
worship.gif
I was putting in the local IP and not the default gateway. Thanks J. Ports are now successfully forwarded.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads