• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Port forwarding help

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
So I've successfully changed to a static IP and am trying to forward ports for Utorrent. Now, I am unable to access my router configuration on a browser. I don't know why; I've tried the default router IP, my current IP, etc. Not sure what's going on.

Suggestions?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The router will have two IPs. The static IP from your ISP and a local non-routable IP (usually in the 192.168.x.x) range.

It might help if you let us know what model your router is.

Connemara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
The router will have two IPs. The static IP from your ISP and a local non-routable IP (usually in the 192.168.x.x) range. It might help if you let us know what model your router is.
Zyxel P-330W. I've been using the local IP (192.168.1.1 IIRC) to no avail.

Kique

Reaction score
Default is 192.168.1.1 so maybe you should reset the router by pressing the button on the back to get it back to the default.

Username: admin
password: 1234

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have a copy of any connection details you need for your ISP though.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worked tech support in college and sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.

Are you connected to the router with a cable? I'm not familiar with your router but many of them do not allow you to access the config via wireless unless you enable it specifically in the settings first.

Connemara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Worked tech support in college and sometimes the simplest answer is the best one. Are you connected to the router with a cable? I'm not familiar with your router but many of them do not allow you to access the config via wireless unless you enable it specifically in the settings first.
Yeah I am. I tried resetting the router last night and it didn't seem to work. I'll give it another go later on and report back.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
go to start - run - type cmd - hit enter. bring up a command prompt.

type ipconfig /all and hit enter. find the default gateway address (might be 192.168.1.1 but there are quite a few that are commonly used). That's where you want to go in your browser. Be sure to disable your firewall software just in case.

If that doesn't work and resetting it doesn't work to let you get on there, personally I'd give up and get a Linksys WRT54G - you can find them used for $25-30 on craigslist and they are hackable to give higher wireless output. I'm not familiar with Xyzel or whatever, which means I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to make it work, but that's just me.

Also, see if you can hook up to your router via USB. Lots of them have USB ports. Worth a shot.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If that doesn't work and resetting it doesn't work to let you get on there, personally I'd give up and get a Linksys WRT54G - you can find them used for $25-30 on craigslist and they are hackable to give higher wireless output.
Not all of them are. I can't remember which versions aren't though.

However, there is the WRT54GL which definitely is.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try 192.168.10.1

admin and 1234 as user and password.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You're right, the ones past version 5 (IIRC) are much less hackable. Most of the ones I've found in thrift stores and craigslist have been older than that though. I haven't gotten around to hacking mine yet, but it's nice to know I can, and they work well even without hacking them anyway.

Connemara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
go to start - run - type cmd - hit enter. bring up a command prompt. type ipconfig /all and hit enter. find the default gateway address (might be 192.168.1.1 but there are quite a few that are commonly used). That's where you want to go in your browser. Be sure to disable your firewall software just in case. If that doesn't work and resetting it doesn't work to let you get on there, personally I'd give up and get a Linksys WRT54G - you can find them used for $25-30 on craigslist and they are hackable to give higher wireless output. I'm not familiar with Xyzel or whatever, which means I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to make it work, but that's just me. Also, see if you can hook up to your router via USB. Lots of them have USB ports. Worth a shot.
I was putting in the local IP and not the default gateway. Thanks J. Ports are now successfully forwarded.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40