• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Porsche Cayman: Your thoughts thus far?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
???

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. My boss (or rather ex-boss - I moved departments) bought one recently. Much better looking than the 911 IRL, IMHO. Have not had a chance to take it for a spin
biggrin.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I've never heard of this car before. It looks a bit like a hard-top boxter.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I've never heard of this car before. It looks a bit like a hard-top boxter.

Oh, its more than that in the Umph! department, its mid engine placement allows for better/easy handling than a 911, straight away, Porsche won't allow the flagship 911 to be beat, but the cayman is actually the best porsche in many ways.
xddn4i.jpg

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ahh mid-engine. Very nice. I love mid-engines. Especially 92-95 Toyota MR2.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One of my personal favorite Porsches:

0,1020,464161,00.jpg

Well, your lovely b/w photo of the XK-120 with skirts redeemed you after the gaffe with an over-restored and festooned XK-120 as your initial pick in the four-door thread. But IMHO you have more than redeemed yourself with your choice on the Speedster.

Ausgezeichnete wahl dieses mal, Label King! Did you realize the subject car of your photo has Rudge wheels?
teacha.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porsche Spyder 550

xdgw90.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Well, your lovely b/w photo of the XK-120 with skirts redeemed you after the gaffe with an over-restored and festooned XK-120 as your initial pick in the four-door thread. But IMHO you have more than redeemed yourself with your choice on the Speedster.

Ausgezeichnete wahl dieses mal, Label King! Did you realize the subject car of your photo has Rudge wheels?
teacha.gif

What type of hardtop does it have, I wonder?

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Porsche Spyder 550

xdgw90.jpg

Does anyone else smell fresh fiberglass?
eek.gif
The Fuchs style wheels and the Nardi style steering wheel don't help any.

No disrespect is intended, Soph. 550s in any form are pretty, even a botched replica.

Respectfully, et blithering cetera

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Porsche replicas are amusing in some ways. They also have MG replicas, which also are amusing because MGs, even in top condition, aren't particularly expensive. I suppose they are more convenient.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of hardtop does it have, I wonder?

Steel bows and canvas were all there was. Steel-framed, canvas-edged side curtains took the place of heavy roll-up windows. I've seen a one-off aluminum hardtop and a few fiberglass ones as well. None were made for the factory to my knowledge as accessory parts.

Maybe Reutter or Karmann or D'Ieteren or Drauz or Glaser or Abarth made removable hardtops. These are the body supply people that I remember. But, not all of them supplied bodies for the Speedster.

I'm not a 356 historian. I just remember seeing the cars on the road. I wasn't old enough to drive yet. I had to wait for ten years after Porsche stopped building the Speedster until I could afford my first car. But, that's another story!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Steel bows and canvas were all there was. Steel-framed, canvas-edged side curtains took the place of heavy roll-up windows. I've seen a one-off aluminum hardtop and a few fiberglass ones as well. None were made for the factory to my knowledge as accessory parts.

Maybe Reutter or Karmann or D'Ieteren or Drauz or Glaser or Abarth made removable hardtops. These are the body supply people that I remember. But, not all of them supplied bodies for the Speedster.

I'm not a 356 historian. I just remember seeing the cars on the road. I wasn't old enough to drive yet. I had to wait for ten years after Porsche stopped building the Speedster until I could afford my first car. But, that's another story!

I believe there is also the rare Glasspar hardtop, which like the Rudge wheels drives up the prices.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe there is also the rare Glasspar hardtop, which like the Rudge wheels drives up the prices.

It's entirely likely, then, that is the fiberglass hardtop to which I referred in my previous remarks. I simply don't know the manufacturer's name.

With your broad penchant for interesting and accurate esoteric bits of information, I would not be surprised to find that your belief is accurate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads