1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Porsche Cayman: Your thoughts thus far?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Soph, May 6, 2006.

1. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I've not driven one, but it has the same inexcusably cheap interior as the Boxster. Even worse, most of the ones I've seen on a Porsche dealer's lot have had that same noxious bottle-tan orange leather color that bothered me on the NC Miata. Fake-n-bake must be the trendy interior color this model year just as it's apparently the favored skin tone of Germans right now. To make matters worse, frankly the quality of Porsche's hides are scarsely better than those on the NC I drove. Also, one mustn't forget that it weighs well over a ton-and-a-half. While that's not unexpected from a once proud sports car company that is now a lowly truck-marketer with a minor sideline in gran tourismos, is it really too much to ask for Porsche to invest some of the blood money from that nasty-ass rebadged MAN-alike into some meaningful R&D for their new $60,000+ (and plus and plus, this being a car with Porsche's typically hefty options list) sportscar? Such a thing really ought to be built from something more sophisticated than a porcine steel monocoque. After all, Lotus has managed to create a car in the same market of considerably lower mass while likewise meeting EU/NCAP safety specs including pedestrian standards, having all the dumbass froo-froo options like nav, and using with running gear likely of similar mass (turbo + plumbing vs. two extra bores). Actually, the comparison is quite telling: 2006 Lotus Europa S vs. 2006 Porsche Cayman Wheelbase: 91.75" vs. 95.1" Length: 153.5" vs. 172.1" Width: 72.8" vs. 70.9" Height: 44" vs. 51.4mm Curb weight: 2195 lb vs. 3200lb (Lotus data from here, with conversions estimated. Porsche data from here. So yeah, the Cayman is a little bigger than the Europa S, and probably for the better - the Europa probably can't touch the Cayman's cargo volume, with its two trunks, for example - the only way it could be a full half ton worth of bigger is if there were ten tons less innovation put into it. Or the truck-marketer has simply stopped caring about sports cars. A 2500lb modern Cayman, even with the shitty fake-n-bake leather, would lure me to the showroom and maybe force a call to my broker, but a 3100lb lead balloon is just yet another crappy, overweight, overwrought modern. PS: On the vintage Porsche digression, I 'd almost rather have a really, really good 550 replica than the real thing. Something that beautiful and that lithe I'd want to drive, so I'd appreciate modernization of the brakes and and other components as well as the lower cost of a modernized fuelie Beetle engine. The only 550 replica I've driven was by Beck and was actually made in South America somewhere. Argentina or Brazil I think. The glasswork was far nicer than anything I've seen on a Viper, XLR, or Corvette, with tighter gaps and an impeccable finish. The visible welds on the frame were also beautiful, quite unlike the sloppy mess one sees upon opening the hood of a Viper or BMW M Roadster. 'Course, I've never driven a real 550 to compare, but that was one of the coolest cars I've ever been in. And it was going really cheap, too: less than my MINI Cooper S ended up costing me. However, I needed a daily driver that could go to the grocery store and fit a garment bag in back, so the Beck (like a Panoz AIV I probed at about the same time that occupied my every waking thought for about a week and a half) was just a momentary infatuation.

2. briancl

briancl Senior member

Personally, if I was in the Porsche 911 buying market I would seriously consider a well-stocked Cayman, especially if I was going to get the 6-speed and not the tiptronic (although if Porsche ever starts to use a DSG...).

If I were in the 911 buying market, I think I'd consider a Cayman, but only after giving it a year or two to see how it really performs. But, I don't see myself ever being in that market. I love the 911 for many reasons, heritage, performance, styling, and the philosophy of the car, but I'm no longer hugely impressed with Porsche's offerings. I'll echo SGladwell and say they are just too heavy. Too many gadgets and trick suspension features and this and that. Porsche really caters to a 'enthusiast' who just wants a toy with gadgets. I don't see the cars are drivers machines anymore. The Cayman, at its lower price point has a few less gadgets, and they outfitted it sans front LSD in order to make the driver feel more connected (so they say, the LSD makes the car feel sloppy), but I don't know what to believe.

Also, off topic, imageWIS, I've reads a number of your posts, and I can tell you are pro-DSG. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm curious enough.. .so what cars would you consider quality cars with a DSG? My girlfriend is torn between manual and auto for her next car, and I just can't think of a good DSG that fits her other requirements.. (needs space, but no SUV, so probably a wagon. good styling, budget upwards to 50k or so)

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

If I were in the 911 buying market, I think I'd consider a Cayman, but only after giving it a year or two to see how it really performs. But, I don't see myself ever being in that market. I love the 911 for many reasons, heritage, performance, styling, and the philosophy of the car, but I'm no longer hugely impressed with Porsche's offerings. I'll echo SGladwell and say they are just too heavy. Too many gadgets and trick suspension features and this and that. Porsche really caters to a 'enthusiast' who just wants a toy with gadgets. I don't see the cars are drivers machines anymore. The Cayman, at its lower price point has a few less gadgets, and they outfitted it sans front LSD in order to make the driver feel more connected (so they say, the LSD makes the car feel sloppy), but I don't know what to believe.

Also, off topic, imageWIS, I've reads a number of your posts, and I can tell you are pro-DSG. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm curious enough.. .so what cars would you consider quality cars with a DSG? My girlfriend is torn between manual and auto for her next car, and I just can't think of a good DSG that fits her other requirements.. (needs space, but no SUV, so probably a wagon. good styling, budget upwards to 50k or so)

Next Audi A4 (B8 body) Avant (Audi-speak for wagon), since the current B7 can't have the DSG installed, due to the placement of the engine.

Jon.

4. briancl

briancl Senior member

Next Audi A4 (B8 body) Avant (Audi-speak for wagon), since the current B7 can't have the DSG installed, due to the placement of the engine.

Jon.

ya, unfortunately she has to purchase before her lease is up in sept. right now i've got her sold on the s4 avant, but she can't decide between the manual or auto...

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

ya, unfortunately she has to purchase before her lease is up in sept. right now i've got her sold on the s4 avant, but she can't decide between the manual or auto...

Personally I would go for the 6-speed. The auto is good, but its not DSG.

Jon.

6. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i saw the cayman yesterday and didn't like it. from a certain angle in the rear, it screams audi tt.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I've never heard of this car before. It looks a bit like a hard-top boxter.

Its the coupe based on the boxster

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

i saw the cayman yesterday and didn't like it. from a certain angle in the rear, it screams audi tt.
    No it doesn’t. It screams Porsche 914 for the 21st century. If you look at the history of Porsche, this car is completely in-line with their design philosophy and harks back to certain historical models. ' I will admit, that Porsche / Audi / VW have similar aesthetic similarities to them nowadays that might not appeal to all; such as the fog lights in the bumper held by one long horizontal louver, a design aspect shared by the Coxster (um, Cayman), the Audi A4 and the new TT. But, you know what? Still looks better than most of the cars out there. This is hardly what Ford does with Mercury, which is too simply change the front badge and of the car and call it a day. Jon.