1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Porsche Cayman: Your thoughts thus far?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Soph, May 6, 2006.

1. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

I've seen surprisingly few Caymans on the road since their introduction: they may not be selling very well. I may have even seen more Turbo Cayennes than Caymans so far.

It's probably because the Cayman, nice as it may be, is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. I could swear I went on this rant before, but here it goes again - the Cayman was made to fill a market niche. The Boxster is the entry-level Porsche, whereas the 911s and Carreras are pretty high up there. The Cayman comes right in the middle of the 911 and the Boxster in price, power, etc. It's the same as the BMW X3 or the Mercedes-Benz C320. They still have their makers' badge, but they hardly deserve it.

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

The Cayman comes right in the middle of the 911 and the Boxster in price, power, etc. It's the same as the BMW X3 or the Mercedes-Benz C320. They still have their makers' badge, but they hardly deserve it.

I'm not sure how a Cayman equates to an X3. After Porsche became the world's fastest growing truck company, I would think a Cayman would be regarded pretty positively since it's true to the company heritage, even if they decided to hobble it a bit. Is it that Porschephiles were hoping for a Cayman with similar engine options to the 911?

--Andre

3. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

whereas the 911s and Carreras are pretty high up there.

Please tell me the difference between these two cars.

4. Soph

Soph Senior member

The Cayman has gotten tremendous reviews. It is what should be the flagship of Porsche in the modern age over the 911. Porsche fears to alienate existing 911 fans, but even the Porsche mechanics I've spoken to agree the Cayman design is the ultimate in Porsche after of course, the exotic GT ($400,000+++). The 911 can never entirely make up for its design/engine placement, although that is its appeal to some. The Cayman S is a beautiful machine, and with some modification to the engine output or if Porsche would ever choose to give the Cayman its do, the 911 would be in the dust not just in agility but also the glorius straightaway. Talk to the people at Porsche that are not trying to sell you something, and I think you'll find a love for the Cayman. The 911 will always have its fans for tradition and the thrill of trying to control a 911.

5. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

I'm not sure how a Cayman equates to an X3. After Porsche became the world's fastest growing truck company, I would think a Cayman would be regarded pretty positively since it's true to the company heritage, even if they decided to hobble it a bit. Is it that Porschephiles were hoping for a Cayman with similar engine options to the 911?

--Andre

Well, I couldn't tell you what Porschephiles hope for, since I'm not quite in the loop with those things. I also don't doubt that the Cayman has had anything but warm welcomes among some, but I feel it runs against the company's philosophy to make something that is decidedly and deliberately mediocre for the sake of accessibility and wider consumption. That's all the Cayman is - just a peg in a hole.

Now don't get me wrong, business is business and in their place I would probably have done the same, but all I'm saying is that I could appreciate such a product, I could never fall in love with it. It's the same as Kiton making a diffusion line. Yes, there is brand recognition out there, so they decide to make the product more accessible, obviously at the cost of quality and attention to detail (this is whence I drew the similarity between the X3 and the Cayman). The passion that you would find in a GT3 or a Carrera GT just isn't there in a Cayman.

Technically, I suppose, there's nothing wrong with it - I'm sure it's a great car and can hold its own against an M3, an S4, an SLR, an XK and all those. Maybe it's just the 8-year-old in me talking. [​IMG]

Please tell me the difference between these two cars.

Here you go. I figure you mean the regular 911 and Carrera GT. These sites will probably be a lot more helpful than I would:

http://www.automallusa.net/2006/pors...fications.html

http://www.automallusa.net/2004/pors...fications.html

6. Soph

Soph Senior member

There's about a $12,000 difference in price between the Cayman S and the 911 Carrera, about $2500 for every second in the difference between their lap times around the Nordschleife. When it comes to pure performance, you have to ask yourself, why pay more? If you must, you can add active suspension, big wheels and tires, and the Sport Chrono package to the Cayman S and get a car that will lap as fast as a stock 911 S and yet cost less than a stock 911 Carrera. Plag ended. Nothing like facts over bravado. BMW designs can't touch Porsche, let alone what is 16 LeMans wins. Just imagine if the Cayman S was given the engine and some details it deserves.

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

I really do like the new Cayman.

BTW, my favorite Porsche?

Before:

[​IMG]

and after:

[​IMG]

8. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

One of my personal favorite Porsches:

[​IMG]

As usual, you hit the nail on the head. The Porsche 356A is my favorite too, Speedster or not.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Accept no substitute:

[​IMG]

Jon.

10. Soph

Soph Senior member

Nice photo Jon.
    [​IMG]

Although I'd still go the convertible route, if you simply want performance
    I would add active suspension, the larger wheels (always love the look also) and tires (grip), and the Sport Chrono package and get a car that will lap as fast as a stock 911 S and yet cost less than a stock 911 Carrera.

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

Nothing like facts over bravado. BMW designs can't touch Porsche, let alone what is 16 LeMans wins.

By that measure, we should all go buy Corvettes or Audis.

--Andre

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Although I'd still go the convertible route, if you simply want performance
    I would add active suspension, the larger wheels (always love the look also) and tires (grip), and the Sport Chrono package and get a car that will lap as fast as a stock 911 S and yet cost less than a stock 911 Carrera.

I'm wondering how you know such a package would be faster than a 911.

--Andre

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

By that measure, we should all go buy Audis.

--Andre

Hey!

Jon.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I'm wondering how you know such a package would be faster than a 911.

--Andre

I believe that would be partially due to the better balance of the Cayman versus the rear-engined 911 plus I remember reading somewhere about Porsche's own numbers showing the car being very close in lap times to the 911. Need to find the article again.

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

I believe that would be partially due to the better balance of the Cayman versus the rear-engined 911 plus I remember reading somewhere about Porsche's own numbers showing the car being very close in lap times to the 911. Need to find the article again.

I believe that, but it's not clear to me that adding bigger wheels, harder suspension, and upping the rev limiter will make the difference. I'm wondering if that's pure conjecture.

--Andre

16. A Y

A Y Senior member

Hey!

And thank goodness that's not the measure. The last thing I need is a German Honda Accord. [​IMG]

--Andre

17. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Here is one article... http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...911/stats.html

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

This argument reminds me of the 911 / 912 problem when the 911 came out. To replace the 356 Porsche decided to make the 911, a more expensive, faster and considerably rear-heavier car than the 356. The 911 used a flat-6 instead of the 356’s flat-4, which added significant weight to the 911, and resulted in Porsche adding dead weights in the front corners of the car to offset the added rear weight. Since the transition from 356 to 911 was so great price-wise and the car was not as nimble as the 356 due to the added weight, Porsche decided to offer a model called the 912, which used the 356’s flat-4 (which was a tried and tested engine) and which came with fewer features, which lowered the price significantly, in addition to handling better than the 911 due to the weight reduction. This caused the 912 to outsell the 911. The Cayman is a mid-engine car, which can handle better than the 911 in principle due to its layout (although, lacking a LSD makes the 911 a winner in this category) and its weight distribution...there is a very good reason why top-end supercars are almost all mid-engined (Carrera GT, Enzo, McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, etc…) Also the Cayman weighs less than the 911, and costs less as well. Personally, if I was in the Porsche 911 buying market I would seriously consider a well-stocked Cayman, especially if I was going to get the 6-speed and not the tiptronic (although if Porsche ever starts to use a DSG…). Jon.

19. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

This argument reminds me of the 911 / 912 problem when the 911 came out. To replace the 356 Porsche decided to make the 911, a more expensive, faster and considerably rear-heavier car than the 356. The 911 used a flat-6 instead of the 356's flat-4, which added significant weight to the 911, and resulted in Porsche adding dead weights in the front corners of the car to offset the added rear weight.

Since the transition from 356 to 911 was so great price-wise and the car was not as nimble as the 356 due to the added weight, Porsche decided to offer a model called the 912, which used the 356's flat-4 (which was a tired and tested engine) and which came with fewer features, which lower the price significantly, in addition to handling better than the 911 due to the weight reduction. This caused the 912 to outsell the 911.

The Cayman is a mid-engine car, which can handle better than the 911 in principle due to its layout (although, lacking a LSD makes the 911 a winner in this category) and its weight distribution...there is a very good reason why top-end supercars are almost all mid-engined (Carrera GT, Enzo, McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, etc...) Also the Cayman weighs less than the 911, and costs less as well.

Personally, if I was in the Porsche 911 buying market I would seriously consider a well-stocked Cayman, especially if I was going to get the 6-speed and not the tiptronic (although if Porsche ever starts to use a DSG...).

Jon.

Same here - although the temptation for an RS4 would be great at that point [​IMG]

20. Soph

Soph Senior member

This argument reminds me of the 911 / 912 problem when the 911 came out. To replace the 356 Porsche decided to make the 911, a more expensive, faster and considerably rear-heavier car than the 356. The 911 used a flat-6 instead of the 356’s flat-4, which added significant weight to the 911, and resulted in Porsche adding dead weights in the front corners of the car to offset the added rear weight.

Since the transition from 356 to 911 was so great price-wise and the car was not as nimble as the 356 due to the added weight, Porsche decided to offer a model called the 912, which used the 356’s flat-4 (which was a tired and tested engine) and which came with fewer features, which lower the price significantly, in addition to handling better than the 911 due to the weight reduction. This caused the 912 to outsell the 911.

The Cayman is a mid-engine car, which can handle better than the 911 in principle due to its layout (although, lacking a LSD makes the 911 a winner in this category) and its weight distribution...there is a very good reason why top-end supercars are almost all mid-engined (Carrera GT, Enzo, McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, etc…) Also the Cayman weighs less than the 911, and costs less as well.

Personally, if I was in the Porsche 911 buying market I would seriously consider a well-stocked Cayman, especially if I was going to get the 6-speed and not the tiptronic (although if Porsche ever starts to use a DSG…).

Jon.

--- Bingo! This is my thinking.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PS ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was just taking a jab at BMW for fun and to stir the pot.[​IMG] Styling is always a matter of preference taste, Porsche and BMW don't make that similar of cars IMO. BMW is more like a luxury brand / auto whereas Porsche leans towards driving/racing heritage and the thrill of driving moreso than the luxury ride of a BMW. Yes, we know they put powerful M's in sedans. Porsche is just not into horsepower, they understand agility, balance, etc