• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Popping the collar in coats

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
I recently bought a 'university coat' from J. Crew and I noticed in the pics that the guy pops his collar. I know it looks stupid on polos but to tell you the truth it doesn't look so bad on this guy. So is it just because he's a model that popping the collar works or should I do it too? Thanks

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to if it's cold enough. That's what it's for.

Reaction score
+1

and if you are playing tennis and it is sunny, it is okay to pop the collar of your polo shirt (if the sun is to your back)

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Don't be afraid to if it's cold enough. That's what it's for.

Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
and if you are playing tennis and it is sunny, it is okay to pop the collar of your polo shirt (if the sun is to your back)

+2^99

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
You guys seem split on the polls. I don't know who to trust, the wisemen who post in the thread or the wisemen who vote only.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted no. You should have a scarf to cover your neck when it's cold. However, in the absence of said scarf or other neckwear (a most grievous offense), then I suppose this "popping" of the coat collar is acceptable.

Just not a big fan of the look. I see a lot of young "professionals" doing this and when I see the rest of what they're wearing I just sigh and shake my head...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the way I see if, if you're popping it because it's part of your style or you're cold, that's fine. But if you're doing it to try to be "cool," trust me, you'll be more of a DB than anything. It's a fine line. With some people, you know they are trying to hard, others don't come across that way. Just don't fall into the first camp and you'll be fine.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
the way I see if, if you're popping it because it's part of your style or you're cold, that's fine. But if you're doing it to try to be "cool," trust me, you'll be more of a DB than anything. It's a fine line. With some people, you know they are trying to hard, others don't come across that way. Just don't fall into the first camp and you'll be fine.

What is wrong with trying to look cool? Isn't that what clothes are for?

Anyways advice taken, it's freezing out here in the Canadian prairies so I'll pop it for tonight and see what happens. Will report back!

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same thing.

southbound35

Reaction score

Originally Posted by James Bond
Same thing.

Thought the same thing when I read it. The only time I would pop a collar would be if it was ridiculously cold and I happened to not have a scarf.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Popping your collar to look cool automatically relegates you to douchebag status. If you pop your collar, make sure you have a legitimate reason for doing so.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, popping

no, not trying to be cool!

contaygious

Reaction score
wow what's wrong with popping your collar to keep you warm? Isn't that what it's for? I do it even with a scarf as it's friggin cold outside! Not going to suffer because some people think I'm trying to be cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads