• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Popping dimes

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One or two of my APCs' buttons sometimes come undone (not from uber-tightness, the hole is just loose) when I sit down. Is there an official way to fix this? I was thinking of sewing some elastic thread across the buttonhole.

Thoughts?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just use real thread and make the hole tighter?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Because I can't really make it tighter, only smaller. Buttonholes work because of the stiffness of the fabric they are through. The fly has gotten too soft and the holes don't hold shape anymore. I don't know if making the hole smaller is going to fix the problem.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Because I can't really make it tighter, only smaller. Buttonholes work because of the stiffness of the fabric they are through. The fly has gotten too soft and the holes don't hold shape anymore. I don't know if making the hole smaller is going to fix the problem.

I think making the holes smaller is really the only way to solve the problem; for a while at least.

Jetta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

starch?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I can't picture how you'd do this, unless you cake on layer after layer of thread untill their combined thickness makes the hole smaller. You could get a small piece of denim, cut a hole in it, and sew that onto the back side of the existing buttonhole. That would increase the stiffness in that area and hopefully keep the hole's shape when stress is put on it.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

But by making it smaller, won't you make it harder for the button to fit through the hole, thereby making it tighter? Just sew a piece of thread near the small end of the button hole. Even if the hole is still too big top to bottom, it will be compensated by the reduced width. Think of it as gastric bypass for your jeans.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i fall on the make-the-hole-smaller side too. Insert smutty joke here.

Just stitch a millimeter or 2 shut at either end of the button hole.

Itll make em a whole lot harder to do up and to undo (but hey no one is really volunteering to undo J's fly anyhow), but should stop the button sliding out.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Itll make em a whole lot harder to do up and to undo
I see what you're saying now, but it seems like that would just exacerbate the stretching. If you make the hole smaller, you'd have to stretch it out even more to get the button in.

And buttoning J's fly pays the bills, man. I'm just trying to earn an honest living.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
I see what you're saying now, but it seems like that would just exacerbate the stretching.

He would just be returning the hole to its original size, no tighter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads