1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poplin vs. twill

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

I've seen cotton poplin in various things -- from Brooks Brothers suits to Bill's Khakis. I assume in the case of suits, it makes for a lightweight summer casual suit. Is that correct?

Also, in regards to Bill's Khakis: They come in either poplin or twill. Is poplin considered a shade dressier than twill, or is twill dressier? I would like to pick up a few pairs of Bill's Khakis to starch and crease them and wear them with some nice polos, short sleeved shirts and what not for a clean relaxed Friday kind of look. Any recomendations as to twill vs. poplin?

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Poplin and twill, as far as I know, are two types of (cotton) weaves. Poplin has a crisper, drier hand, while twill is softer and smoother, and generally heavier and thicker. I generally associate poplin with summer weight dress shirts.

I suppose that a poplin khakis would be more suitable for the summer, while twill would be more seasonably versatile - no comments as re. their relative dressiness. Just don't get a pleated pair though.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Manton,

Thanks for the info. Learn something new every day.