Poplin vs. twill

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

I've seen cotton poplin in various things -- from Brooks Brothers suits to Bill's Khakis. I assume in the case of suits, it makes for a lightweight summer casual suit. Is that correct?

Also, in regards to Bill's Khakis: They come in either poplin or twill. Is poplin considered a shade dressier than twill, or is twill dressier? I would like to pick up a few pairs of Bill's Khakis to starch and crease them and wear them with some nice polos, short sleeved shirts and what not for a clean relaxed Friday kind of look. Any recomendations as to twill vs. poplin?

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Poplin and twill, as far as I know, are two types of (cotton) weaves. Poplin has a crisper, drier hand, while twill is softer and smoother, and generally heavier and thicker. I generally associate poplin with summer weight dress shirts.

I suppose that a poplin khakis would be more suitable for the summer, while twill would be more seasonably versatile - no comments as re. their relative dressiness. Just don't get a pleated pair though.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Manton,

Thanks for the info. Learn something new every day.