Pop quiz, hot-shots!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nick M, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Several questions that I'd really like the answer to - I'm pretty sure I used to know them, but the knowledge has dribbled from my brain and out my ears. 1. What are the constituent parts of the paisley pattern called? It was in a GQ once, I'm sure. Two syllables, like 'bah-to' or something. The answer is NOT 'paisleys'. 2. What do you call the contrasting piping that you see around the 'v' of - mostly British - semi-formal vests? 3. How is a wooden heel advantageous in a pair of shoes, as opposed to any other kind of heel? Bluefly lists almost every pair of dress shoes in it's inventory - erroneously, I'm sure - as having a 'stacked wooden heel'. Everyone else, feel free to ask any niggling little style questions here.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

1. They are demons. 1b. Actually, the shape is called a "boteh". 2. I call it "contrasting piping". 3. To make horse sounding footsteps? I can't imagine why you would want to use wood in a heel. It shrinks, expands, can't be nailed without inviting squeaks, etc. I am sure all those are stacked leather heels. I've got a question for you, Nick: There's a bomb on a bus, and it will detonate if the bus goes over 50 mph. What do you do, Nick?. [​IMG]

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Superadministrator in one. Especially impressed about the boteh, although maybe you just googled it: paisley + parts?
    Must be a trick question [​IMG] Once, on a packed bus going north in downtown LA (i.e. uphill) the thing could barely hit 20. Serious. It was totally backing up traffic.

4. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

5. 2Stripes

2Stripes New Member

... shoot the hostage..