1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pop quiz, hot-shots!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nick M, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

Several questions that I'd really like the answer to - I'm pretty sure I used to know them, but the knowledge has dribbled from my brain and out my ears. 1. What are the constituent parts of the paisley pattern called? It was in a GQ once, I'm sure. Two syllables, like 'bah-to' or something. The answer is NOT 'paisleys'. 2. What do you call the contrasting piping that you see around the 'v' of - mostly British - semi-formal vests? 3. How is a wooden heel advantageous in a pair of shoes, as opposed to any other kind of heel? Bluefly lists almost every pair of dress shoes in it's inventory - erroneously, I'm sure - as having a 'stacked wooden heel'. Everyone else, feel free to ask any niggling little style questions here.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

1. They are demons. 1b. Actually, the shape is called a "boteh". 2. I call it "contrasting piping". 3. To make horse sounding footsteps? I can't imagine why you would want to use wood in a heel. It shrinks, expands, can't be nailed without inviting squeaks, etc. I am sure all those are stacked leather heels. I've got a question for you, Nick: There's a bomb on a bus, and it will detonate if the bus goes over 50 mph. What do you do, Nick?. [​IMG]

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Superadministrator in one. Especially impressed about the boteh, although maybe you just googled it: paisley + parts?
    Must be a trick question [​IMG] Once, on a packed bus going north in downtown LA (i.e. uphill) the thing could barely hit 20. Serious. It was totally backing up traffic.

4. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

5. 2Stripes

2Stripes New Member

... shoot the hostage..