• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poorly sized dress shirts

eprex

Reaction score
please delete

Last edited:

ktown

Reaction score
I say keep your dress shirts and wear them casually only. If the sleeve length bothers you a lot, get them altered. I am also 5'9" and 150 lbs (40 chest, 32 waist) so I understand that it's difficult to find the right size.

For future shirts, I would recommend either going MTM (moderntailor, tailorstore, mytailor) or getting shirts that fit as best as possible and getting them altered. I like going the second route. You can get shirts anywhere from $30 (Nordstrom Rack) to $70 (Brooks Brothers on sale, Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin) and then pay for additional tailoring. Darts should be about $10-$15 and taking in the sides should be $20 or so. I usually have to take in the sides and get darts which makes the tailoring job for each shirt $30.

eprex

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's damn hard to find proper sizing!

I noticed people had good things to say about luxire.com. And I agree my best bet is to probably buy OTR on sale, then pay for good tailoring. I'd spend the same $100 but with a shirt that fits way better.

biged781

Reaction score
Over the course of a few months I bought a bunch of decent dress shirts not really paying attention to how well they fit anywhere but my midsection. I'm 5'9 and 150 pounds. I was more than happy buying shirts in a size Sm slim fit as they fit my midsection well.

You went about it completely backward. Find a shirt that fits in the shoulders and chest and have it darted by a tailor to fit your midsection. These shirts will never fit you. Buy new ones.

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're buying shirts S/M/L then you'll get whatever the company sticks you with.

Dress shirts are sized by collar size. Do you know your collar size? Then start looking for brands with a body similar to yours.

eprex

Reaction score
Haha I was waiting for some clown to come in and say that. Right on time

Last edited:

eprex

Reaction score

If you're buying shirts S/M/L then you'll get whatever the company sticks you with.

Dress shirts are sized by collar size. Do you know your collar size? Then start looking for brands with a body similar to yours.

I'll be heading to a tailor to get sized up. The consensus seems to be two fingers worth of room with the color buttoned, but I've also seen just 1 fingers worth of room.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics