• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poorly executed detail on a High end shirt

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A forum member asked me to replace a collar on a Hilditch & Key shirt.
His reason was the collar was poorly stitched. He even received some sort of discount from H & K.

On the British site the shirt is about $140
at full price, this is not the type of shirt I would expect from a "famous English shirtmaker"
I will assume this shirt was made somewhere other then england.
the fabric is good. can't tell if it is Italian, Indian or Turkish.
the buttons are good, but poorly sewn. they look like they will fall off.
the general needle work is Ok, except for numerous spots where threads were broken and the sewer went over it, as opposed to ripping and re stitching. I would guess that the factory is pushing the workers for increased production.

My favorite detail is the gusset. the fabric gusset was folded and glued together. then stitched in place. it feels hard and uncomfortable. they should leave this detail off, unless they can do a nicer job.

not worth the money at full price.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not surprising.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Not a big fan of H&K...m ainly because the fit is somewhat akin to wrapping yourself in a sheet. My tailor took out enough fabric to clothe an entire african village.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
No country of origin tag?

Would it matter? I thought it was widely accepted wisdom that the English don't shine at delivering refined workmanship in shirtmaking. Well-trained Chinese workers could probably do a better job.

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
My favorite detail is the gusset. the fabric gusset was folded and glued together. then stitched in place. it feels hard and uncomfortable. they should leave this detail off, unless they can do a nicer job.

facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well-trained Chinese workers could probably do a better job.

Yup.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, of course. Sewing a shirt's not rocket science. Any idiot can do it. Neat sewing just takes more time.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At $140 it is considered a "high end".... ?
confused.gif

140.00 is a discounted price of Etro/Zegna/Baldesarrini/Piatelli/Borrelli/Brioni shirts with which i've never had aforementioned problems.

High end shirts don't sell for 140.00 unless they are on deep discount.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
At $140 it is considered a "high end".... ?
confused.gif

140.00 is a discounted price of Etro/Zegna/Baldesarrini/Piatelli/Borrelli/Brioni shirts with which i've never had aforementioned problems.

High end shirts don't sell for 140.00 unless they are on deep discount.

the brands you are referring to, qualify as luxury

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
the brands you are referring to, qualify as luxury

The price tag on those is mostly name I am sure, that is why on sale they are $140.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads