• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

poor year end performance review

Milpool

Reaction score
Things at work have been rough. Because of the economy, we aren't replacing the folks that quit or retire. We've been doing a ton with far fewer people, but everyone is falling behind, morale is low, burnout is looming, etc.

Despite my best efforts, I'm behind and that was reflected on my performance review. First time I've ever had a review this bad, but my team is several people short, no chance to replace them, and my bosses aren't taking "no" for an answer on new projects.

I think I'm being set up to fail as an unintended consequence of the budget cutting. I'm not real happy about it.

Time to jump ship or is there an approach I should take with my bosses to try to rectify the situation? (my request for additional staff was denied).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
Things at work have been rough. Because of the economy, we aren't replacing the folks that quit or retire. We've been doing a ton with far fewer people, but everyone is falling behind, morale is low, burnout is looming, etc.

Despite my best efforts, I'm behind and that was reflected on my performance review. First time I've ever had a review this bad, but my team is several people short, no chance to replace them, and my bosses aren't taking "no" for an answer on new projects.

I think I'm being set up to fail as an unintended consequence of the budget cutting. I'm not real happy about it.

Time to jump ship or is there an approach I should take with my bosses to try to rectify the situation? (my request for additional staff was denied).

that sucks. good luck. no advice, sorry, this could go either way.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ugh, awful situation. Sorry to hear it. Doesn't sound good.

It doesn't sound like the company is doing well. I don't think you can hurt yourself really by looking around to see what else is out there. Bear in mind that often times, a poor review is an attempt to counsel you out or tee up a dismissal (the paperwork has to be consistent to show cause). So again, looking around won't hurt you. Sounds like the writing may be on the wall for the company anyways.

It seems odd that they would be willfully blind to the circumstances. Your alternative might be to go to your superiors and say something along the lines of "I understand that additional staff is not going to happen at this time, for obvious reasons - I have a few ideas on how to move forward without them but I'd like to review them with you. How can I do better?" etc. if you want to try to make it work where you are.

Good luck.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Milpool, if you can jump ship, take the chance! With this economy, I'm sure it will take some time (unless you have leads on hand). Otherwise, I would ask how your superiors recommend you improve your performance given the lack of resources. Ask for examples from other departments about what you could learn or adapt to your group. Hopefully they provide some helpful feedback. If not, keep your head down and plug away and getting out of that mess.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^I absolutely agree. In tough times, bosses will often exert more pressure to do more. At the same time, a good leader will acknowledge the difficulties and will be appreciative of workers who are doing what they can under difficult circumstances. My company has been like this since 2008, and while we've been working our butts off, the higher-ups have heaped on praise. If your formal evals are suffering because of conditions that are out of your control -- AND you've been denied the requests to improve the conditions -- I say move on, if you can.

Milpool

Reaction score
I don't think they are trying to fire me, as I was just recognized at our big year end meeting for outstanding achievement on one of the major projects, my bosses and their bosses constantly thank me and stop by my office to thank me, etc.

They admit we are short staffed, and that is the cause of my projects being behind schedule. . . but metrics are what they are and I am truthfully behind schedule. The other metrics were fine and dandy. I just really don't like having a black eye for something that is out of my hands.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think you just have to deal with the shitstorm for awhile, it's ugly out there. we are one of the only companies in our category with solid growth but it could all end anytime.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think they are trying to fire me, as I was just recognized at our big year end meeting for outstanding achievement on one of the major projects, my bosses and their bosses constantly thank me and stop by my office to thank me, etc.

They admit we are short staffed, and that is the cause of my projects being behind schedule. . . but metrics are what they are and I am truthfully behind schedule. The other metrics were fine and dandy. I just really don't like having a black eye for something that is out of my hands.

In that case, think carefully before making a break for it. Down the line, this may well not be so much of a black eye after all, particularly if you have been recognized for your work.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your bosses aren't doing their jobs.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think its time for you to jump ship. It seems there's some kind of disconnect from upper to middle management, but you have to remember the performance evaluations can follow you to your next job.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would make sure that the formal, written review documented your concerns that your performance was negatively impacted by the short staffing. Hopefully your boss acknowledges this, but at least make sure that it goes in the employee comments section before it's signed.

Other than that, is the feedback justified? If so the best thing to show them is that you're receptive to it and are working hard to overcome your "developmental areas"

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Singing praises on one hand and stabbing you with the other? Nah, time to move on if possible. Being shorthanded is not your problem. That's upper management's problem and should not reflect on you at all. Ever hear of scapegoating? That's what it sounds like to me and you could be "it".

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Remember GWB saying, "You're doing a great job Brownie"? In this case, Brownie could be you.

jenlain

Reaction score
Start looking now. As another poster said, it will take some time. Don't rush into anything and make sure you get into the right situation. Start by looking at companies/industries with a history of strong margins (pharma, FMCG, etc.), as they tend to have less of this bullshit.

In the interim, double your efforts to get things squared up at your current job. Trying to find a new job is significantly easier while you are still employed.

Bartolo

Reaction score

HR people hate this stuff, as it sends mixed messages.

Normally, I'd assume that a 'bad' review means that they are moving towards getting rid of you. It's hard to know what's in their heads . . . whether the review is part of the path towards that, or what.

The only way to REALLY know is to ask, and get an honest answer out of them. There's nothing wrong with asking, but even then you may not get a 'straight' answer out of your managers.

By all means, discretely look around for other opportunities. It's never a bad time to do that!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads