• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poor self image

sloaney

Reaction score
I'm not sure why I'm suffering from such a poor self image recently. I don't think I look bad, but I just found myself in a city where there are many better looking people so I feel a bit depressed. Or perhaps it's because I barely have any friends here.

I was just thinking that I would trade some of my intelligence and career potential just to look better, if I could. This made me wonder about the opposite: would anyone trade their looks for intelligence/career/wealth?
My guess: probably not, unless one is very poor. So oblige me: Which way would you trade: your intelligence for better looks or vice versa?

Yudi

Reaction score
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you dude. I've been stuck in a city I don't like for a long time and have been messed around by too many girls in recent times and have not yet recovered my self belief.

I think though, that you have by far the better end of the stick with career/intelligence/wealth going for you. Looks don't last forever and when they are gone you are left with nothing if that's all you ever had.

Look at someone like Bridgitte Bardot. I mean, she was absolutely STUNNING in her time, one of the most beautiful women ever, and now she's as ugly as a pig. She's happy because she has other things in her life and has never believed her own hype, but you look at someone like Liz Taylor and what the hell has she got? And she wasn't just good looking, she was the best of her time.

Looks are great, and of course we all spend alot of time wishing we were the best looking guy on the planet, but they are one of the most temporary, unimportant aspects in a long, happy life.

stach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yudi

Look at someone like Bridgitte Bardot. I mean, she was absolutely STUNNING in her time, one of the most beautiful women ever, and now she's as ugly as a pig. She's happy because she has other things in her life and has never believed her own hype, but you look at someone like Liz Taylor and what the hell has she got?

Her millions? Liz doesn't seem especially unhappy. Plus Bardot is mentally unbalanced. Lots of crazy peple are happy.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contentment has little if anything to do with intelligence or looks. Some of the most depressed people in the world are either gorgeous or brilliant. I don't think you're any more likely to feel good about yourself if you're attractive with average intelligence than if you're brilliant with average looks. I don't know that I'd call it 'intelligence' per se, but I think the important thing would be to learn how to be happy despite circumstances.
smile.gif

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im brilliant, amazingly handsome, and depressed. id trade my good looks for happiness any day

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
im brilliant, amazingly handsome, and depressed. id trade my good looks for happiness any day

hmm, seems I have the trifecta then...as I am as happy as a person can realistically be. Seems I have the smarts, looks, and spiritual well being to spare, not that I would.
alien.gif

Trilby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
I'm not sure why I'm suffering from such a poor self image recently. I don't think I look bad, but I just found myself in a city where there are many better looking people so I feel a bit depressed. Or perhaps it's because I barely have any friends here.

You're talking about London, right? I'm not sure there are so many great looking people here.

Maybe you just need to get away from Sloane Square and the Kings Road.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you're happy with the way you look, it's okay that other people are more attractive. Good for them. It's a win-win.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Looks fade, but stupid endures forever.

I'd keep the intellect. Be happy with who you are, and IF you opt to compare yourself with others, compare yourself on terms that are favorable to you.

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
I found this really touching:

Originally Posted by Yudi
I think though, that you have by far the better end of the stick with career/intelligence/wealth going for you. Looks don't last forever and when they are gone you are left with nothing if that's all you ever had.

Looks are great, and of course we all spend alot of time wishing we were the best looking guy on the planet, but they are one of the most temporary,
unimportant aspects in a long, happy life.

I found this very funny:

Originally Posted by Stach
Lots of crazy peple are happy.

It's only funny because it's true. I would rather be rich and succesful than stunningly gorgeous. One can still be just gorgeous, right? Besides that, if I was rich and it showed by the way I dressed and what kind of car I drove the women would flock to me. Then devorce me and take half of my money. Damn, it's a no win situation. I'm being pretty damn cynical today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads