• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poor Samuelsohn suit alteration?

Requiro

Reaction score
First post from a lurker. After reading many threads on SF I decided on a Samuelsohn for my first step into higher-end suiting. The suit has now been altered twice at the establishment where I purchased it. After the first alteration the suit was too big around the waist and the sleeves were too long. Now it seems the right sleeve is still a bit long and the back of the suit looks terrible. Unfortunately I have a wedding to attend very soon and I will not be able to take it back to the establishment where I purchased the suit and frankly I don't want to back there and possibly have it botched further. I wanted to get SF's take on the fit and see if perhaps it could be fixed or if in fact my opinion is wrong. If there are serious issues with the fit can they be fixed? Could anyone recommend a good tailor in Chicago who's price is commensurate with that of the suit?

Apologies for the poor photos. It turns out my girlfriend is not the best photographer.

Thank you in advance.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it looked like pre alterations, but it doesn't look like they did a great job on the waist...looks like they overdid it.

Last edited:

toplel

Reaction score
Too tight around the waist.

The sleeve length issue is because your right shoulder is lower when you stand. I am painfully aware of this b/c I do the same thing after breaking my collarbone as a child. I'm considering putting a small shoulder pad in my suit jackets to account for this but have yet to try it.

Last edited:

Requiro

Reaction score
I have scoliosis and my right shoulder is naturally lower. They were aware of this and I thought they had measured properly to my wrist bone, however it looks like they just made both sleeves the same length.
I'm considering putting a small shoulder pad in my suit jackets to account for this but have yet to try it.

They added a pad to the right shoulder of my jacket just as you have mentioned. As a result, either do to their ineptness or as an unavoidable consequence, my once well fitting shoulder now has an indentation making it look as if the shoulder of the jacket on that side is too big. So be wary of trying this to address your similar issue.

Do you think it's possible to fix the waist? If not, is it bad enough to ask for a refund/exchange?

toplel

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's possible to fix since wool is rather forgiving, but look for response from @Murlsquirl as he is more experienced.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, the waist can be let back out and if you don't like the shoulder pad, you can have it removed. Like I mentioned earlier, it's hard to say what went wrong because I don't know what it looked like pre-alterations...and I'm definitely no expert on alterations/tailoring. On another note, I think you could use another lock on your door :)

Requiro

Reaction score
It's Chicago, you can always use another lock on the door!!
lol8[1].gif
One of them doesn't work and you have to hip check the door to get the deadbolt to lock.

Anyways, thank you very much for the info. In addition to taking the waist in too much I think they may also have screwed up the stitching, which leads to even more wrinkles around the seems on the back. I'm going to pay a visit to a couple of recommended tailors today before the wedding (not mine) to get quotes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads