• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
any ideas what you're going to go for?
All of them!

I'm only semi-joking... But for a thousand reasons I'm very partial to Omegas so that's probably top of the list. I also really want a moonphase, rose gold and leather strap. So probably an IWC. I also really would like a blue dial but that's probably going to be my second watch. And that's probably going to do it for my watch collection, honestly. Unless my financials like dramatically change, the opportunity cost of another high-end watch instead of, say, anything else isn't really worth it. And even if it were, I'm not sure I want to drop that much coin over my life on watches. While, yeah, I can theoretically wear a different one for different times of day (pun intended) or settings, I'm not like that vain/absurd that I'd change.

winghus

Reaction score
The local Fink's jewelers is going out of business here so I went in to see what was what. Two brands I can't afford or justify if I could, Rolex and Breitling, followed closely by Tag, then a drop to a watch I can easily afford before the 25% off then 15% off of that, Shinola.
I dislike Shinola from both an esthetic and business model viewpoint and had no interest. The wife found nothing that was actually a value either. The claimed "up to 70% off" was an actual 25% and 15% on top of that except for Swiss watches and certain high-end jewelry.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tag Heuer Monaco. Yay or nay?

I think they are pretty cool and it’s a watch that got me started on my watch collecting adventure but I’ve never actually owned one. I tried one on a few years back when I was finally in the position to buy one if I so desired but it just fit so flat and uncomfortably on my wrist. I was disappointed. It was gorgeous though and if it had been a better fit I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

I think Tag gets a bad wrap in a lot of forums, and MSRP on all their watches is probably too high by half but used or grey market they can be a great deal.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice! May I ask, over how long a time period have you amassed your watches-and clothing-to-match (or clothing-and-watches-to-match) collection?
I have enough wardrobe to start a small store and about 80 watches so I can always find something to match.....:-D
I have been into clothes forever (after I lost 75 pounds and things actually fit) and watches maybe 10 years. A co-worker of mine introduced me to mechanical watches and the rest is history.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'll take some crap for the fashion watch but I think it looks nice and it filled a need......
20191205_151612.jpg

johnvw

Reaction score
I have enough wardrobe to start a small store and about 80 watches so I can always find something to match.....:-D
I have been into clothes forever (after I lost 75 pounds and things actually fit) and watches maybe 10 years. A co-worker of mine introduced me to mechanical watches and the rest is history.

Thank you. Wear all in good health!

johnvw

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this brand? Any thoughts on them and on this particular watch?

View attachment 1295547

View attachment 1295548

View attachment 1295550

View attachment 1295551

I had not heard of this brand until I Googled it in response to your post. It seems to be a Swiss-made brand on the "high end" of the PMW range. Here are a couple of links to it: http://montres-louiserard.ch/en and https://www.watchshop.com/louis-erard-watches.html. Also sold on Amazon. Regarding the watch in the pics, it looks elegant to me. Enjoy!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@spectrumwatches - Which SMP do you currently have and which PO are you considering? There are a few different iterations of each.

They are generally out of the range of discussion here on the PMW thread but I really like some of the Planet Ocean watches, particularly the 2209.50.00 and the 2201.50.00. As for the SMP, there are some that are absolutely awesome but others that just seem so gaudy to me. Quality-wise, I would imagine their all pretty good so it's probably going to come down to aesthetics and which watch appeals to you more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads