• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

But wait: if you can afford the "London" there is of course a difference. The "Duke" (embossed alligator) is very well made, but clearly doesn't feel as real as a genuine alligator strap. I can feel that it is not a real skin, and I'm completely OK with that. Also (up very close, though) it clearly is not a real skin; obviously there just is no way to produce an embossed skin with the exact feel and detail of real scales. One has to really touch and look extremely closely to notice that though; it is an excellent approximation from normal viewing distance, and a very good value.

Some don't buy alligator/croco for very valid ethical reasons; some for budget reasons; some for both.

The "Duke" is quite nice for embossed; the "London" is on a different level. At 5x the price though that is a debate you will have to resolve for yourself.

One other source for genuine alligator, also very nice quality but lower price than the top Hirsch, Di-Modell, etc. models, is Rios1931, like the "Imperial" or similar (the "Spitfire" is nice too, ostensibly made for IWC but sold to everyone, thinner at the lug than the "Imperial"; +/- 4mm v 6mm). Rios1931's genuine skin straps are excellent quality and well priced.

Another good strap, much lower cost than the Hirsch "London", very well made also, on the Rios cost/quality level, is the Di-Modell "Croco Bentley." I find the the Di-Modell "Aero" perforated backs very comfortable, as I live in a hot climate and sweat easily.

All these straps are produced in navy blue. I spent way too much time researching these, for my Stowa MO. Just some other suggestions. Good luck.

No point on buying expensive fake crocs when $30 - $80 Vietnam real crocs are abound on Ebay. Some of them are really damn good.

Agreed on Rios1931 crocs.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the other watch thread as this might not qualify as a Poor Man's Watch, but there's definitely more appreciation of Citizen over here -

My new acquisition: Citizen AQ4020 high-accuracy quartz "Chronomaster". I'd been lusting after this one for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. The pictures don't do it justice but the "Tosa Washi" paper dial is absolutely stunning, right up there with the GS Snowflake. This one is titanium and it's light as a feather. I've got a couple other titanium watches but those are chunky Seiko divers so I wasn't prepared at first for how much lighter this one is. The bracelet is very nice but I think I'm going to try and snag one of the titanium Citizen deployant clasps so I can put this on a leather strap from time to time.

Citizen3.jpg

Citizen4.jpg

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the other watch thread as this might not qualify as a Poor Man's Watch, but there's definitely more appreciation of Citizen over here -

My new acquisition: Citizen AQ4020 high-accuracy quartz "Chronomaster". I'd been lusting after this one for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. The pictures don't do it justice but the "Tosa Washi" paper dial is absolutely stunning, right up there with the GS Snowflake. This one is titanium and it's light as a feather. I've got a couple other titanium watches but those are chunky Seiko divers so I wasn't prepared at first for how much lighter this one is. The bracelet is very nice but I think I'm going to try and snag one of the titanium Citizen deployant clasps so I can put this on a leather strap from time to time.

View attachment 1200307

View attachment 1200308

That's a beauty!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
beauty! where'd you pick it up?

I couldn't find any Citizen ADs in the U.S. that stock it. I ended up purchasing from SakuraWatches in Japan. I tried Seiya and Higuchi but Sakura beat their prices by a pretty significant amount.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No point on buying expensive fake crocs when $30 - $80 Vietnam real crocs are abound on Ebay. Some of them are really damn good.

Agreed on Rios1931 crocs.
What is the quality of the Vietnam/Russia/Ukraine croc/gators though? How to know?

I have read so many reports of really fragile linings and stitching, low durability, etc. that I fear those straps now.
$80 is no joke for me to risk throwing away on junk, and I have no idea how one discerns the good straps from the bad.

At least the name brands, especially where genuine alligator rather than crocodile or caiman are concerned, can be trusted, even if the cost is high, on that I agree.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a micro-brand watch that is aesthetically similar to the Citizen Chronomaster above or to the Grand Seikos that have similar characteristics. I'm referring to the hefty case, significant all applied markers, high shine, etc. (can be quartz or mechanical, and doesn't need to have a textured dial)?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a micro-brand watch that is aesthetically similar to the Citizen Chronomaster above or to the Grand Seikos that have similar characteristics. I'm referring to the hefty case, significant all applied markers, high shine, etc. (can be quartz or mechanical, and doesn't need to have a textured dial)?
This thread (old now) may help, at least to know which way to look:
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/citizen-chronomster-cheaper-alternative-103181.html

I have no answer of my own, not familiar; I simply did a Google search for "citizen chronomaster alternative"; there are a few other sources.

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread (old now) may help, at least to know which way to look:
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/citizen-chronomster-cheaper-alternative-103181.html

I have no answer of my own, not familiar; I simply did a Google search for "citizen chronomaster alternative"; there are a few other sources.

By the way, did you receive my PM?

Thanks! It seems most of the alternatives that are suggested are either cheaper Citizens or Seikos. I’m specifically looking for a watch from a microbrand.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It seems most of the alternatives that are suggested are either cheaper Citizens or Seikos. I’m specifically looking for a watch from a microbrand.

Titanium without the GS orange peel and should fulfill all your criterias. I'd have gotten one if I'm in the market for a 40mm watch. Seriously this is that good and hella cheap online.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Titanium without the GS orange peel and should fulfill all your criterias. I'd have gotten one if I'm in the market for a 40mm watch. Seriously this is that good and hella cheap online.

I should’ve mentioned that I don’t want an Orient either. I’m looking for a watch that looks like these but in a true micro brand.

I find it interesting that there are micro brand watches for just about every style watch. Except you don’t really find ones that look anything like Grand Seikos or Citizen Chronomasters.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
Looking for a replacement strap for my cocktail time (Presage version). Leaning towards a navy alligator strap (I know - a bit high-end for such a low-end watch.). Not sure if I should go with a matt finish (like the Hirsch pictured below) or a shiny one (like the Hodinkee one). Taking all opinions.

View attachment 1200081

View attachment 1200082

View attachment 1200083
Mosy, I tried several straps and went back to the original black patent leather band. It's hard to explain but the dial loses a bit of lustre. Feel free to experiment though.

Check the watchuseek thread for some ideas:

emptym

Reaction score
Finally, outdoors shot. I need 19mm straps...

View attachment 1199059 View attachment 1199060
Very nice. I've been wearing the same watch on a bracelet.

Edit: Here's an old pic w/ a Vulcain. I mostly wear them in the summer since they're pretty light and breezy.

I had an almost identical Bellmatic serviced by the US Seiko center. They broke a lug off, admitted they did it, but didn't want to take responsibility for it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads