• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw on Worn & Wound that Seiko has re-released their SUS line of watches. These were always some of my favorite simple watches and I figured it was only a matter of time until Seiko brought them back in one form or another. It looks like these are very faithful to the originals except that they are only available in quartz. The originals were also available with Seiko's 4s15 movement which was a chronomter grade hi-beat movement. Given some of Seiko's other recent re-releases, I am sort of surprised they didn't take the opportunity to release these with both the quartz and one of their higher end automatic movements.

Here's my quartz version from the original run:
34b00f14-4567-4b8f-8bb2-af672d45a981-jpeg.1109312

And my automatic:
55BC951A-9169-4D61-9D0C-9BF8413520BE.jpeg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think that new SUS line looks quite nice (better than anything IWC is putting out these days, in that style).

I can't recall if this Timex re-issue of a model from '79 has been discussed here, but if not, what are your thoughts?

Q-Timex-Reissue-2019-cover.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think that new SUS line looks quite nice (better than anything IWC is putting out these days, in that style).

I can't recall if this Timex re-issue of a model from '79 has been discussed here, but if not, what are your thoughts?

Q-Timex-Reissue-2019-cover.jpg
The Seiko SUS re-issues look nice, esp. the blue, but are way too small at 35mm.

The Timex looks good, but I'm not at all a fan of that band. It needs a less complicated, more "chunky", band, better proportioned to the (nice) case.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Timex is actually one of very few new watches that have caught my interest, but I agree that the bracelet would've benefited from being less busy, like one of these:

vintage-timex-q-quartz-electronic-watch-with-new-battery-and-england-dial

000-Timex-Quartz-Hybrid-duiker-1979.jpg

- I might still get one though, when they restock it (it sold out quickly).

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Timex is actually one of very few new watches that have caught my interest, but I agree that the bracelet would've benefited from being less busy, like one of these:

Yes, MUCH better bracelet.

If you buy the Timex how simple/inexpensive would it be to switch to a different band like one of these above, esp. the top one?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably simple enough to exchange it (unless the bracelet is integrated), but I've only ever gotten replacement leather or fabric straps for my watches, so I have no experience with sourcing bracelets, thus no idea how hard it would be to find something like this.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is this a reissue too or is this an actual vintage Timex?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a reissue too or is this an actual vintage Timex?
I just found that from a quick image search, but I'm only aware of the pepsi dialed re-issue of the '79 Q Timex, so this must be an actual vintage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads