• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
D616F5A0-63C6-447F-B9DB-4517CC8C2430.jpeg

Lumaca

Reaction score
Lol, my Laco came with a brown strap too, but a lot redder in tone (which I do prefer to make the dial pop).

Also, saw the new Presage SJE073 with the thinner movement and case yesterday. What a fine watch! Sadly the price more than doubles the PMW budget...

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok next decision. Thinking about putting my SARB033 on a brown shell strap. Firstly, would love to get some thoughts from you guys on that idea. And if I do put it on brown shell, should I go with a padded or flat strap?

View attachment 1051482 View attachment 1051483 View attachment 1051484

Yes, brown shell, flat. The brown flat looks great there.

I think the dial/case are again a bit too "formal" for a padded strap. Padded straps work better on sportier watches like true pilots, subs, chronos, etc., imo.

Are the lug widths the same on your blue-dial Rider and black-dial Seiko?
If so, you could then of course easily swap the black and brown shell straps between the two watches whenever you wanted.

No black with brown.... for watches??? That would be news to me. It's certainly a staple combo for pilot watches and looks just fine here to me.
Not just pilot, it's a classic for the sub and other black divers. (and I won't reopen the black shoes with brown discussion :p)
+3.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
@mosy honestly, i doubt it will work. Most times black dial and brown strap just looks plain (very) bad.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like black dial on brown strap is one of those things that some people really like and some people really don’t. Hmm

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like black dial on brown strap is one of those things that some people really like and some people really don’t. Hmm
Like many things, and that's just fine. The only "some people" that counts is yourself.

There is no "rule" against black dial/brown strap. It certainly is not a "shoe/belt" kind of thing...much more a "which wine with meat versus fish" kind of thing.

As RogerP and am55 already stated above, essentially every original, classic military watch (Flieger, Diver, even Marine (even black dial models)) were/are very common with brown straps. But even much more formal watches with black dials are found with (appropriate) brown straps. Don't sweat it, if you like it.

Plus, as posted above, if the lug widths of your Rider and Seiko are the same, just switch out the straps on occasion if you want.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had that exact Casio Quartz for many, many years, all through college, grad school, etc. Were these around even before Swatch? I don't really remember now.

I loved mine, it was so clean, and it was really good. I only replaced it when I lost it on a trip, with a G-Shock (now going on 20+ years also)...two Casios in 40+ years...around $100 for both...not too bad PMW's at all.

I recently found a NOS/NIB replacement bezel and strap for my old G-Shock on eBay...$15 total, a few minutes to replace. Casios/G-Shocks are great.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had that exact Casio Quartz for many, many years, all through college, grad school, etc. Were these around even before Swatch? I don't really remember now.

I loved mine, it was so clean, and it was really good. I only replaced it when I lost it on a trip, with a G-Shock (now going on 20+ years also)...two Casios in 40+ years...around $100 for both...not too bad PMW's at all.

I recently found a NOS/NIB replacement bezel and strap for my old G-Shock on eBay...$15 total, a few minutes to replace. Casios/G-Shocks are great.

This one is 34mm and costs around $10.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads